Debating on a '10-12 GT500 or a '15-'16 Mustang GT

Kytann

Established Member
I was originally in the market for a 2016 Mustang GT Premium.

But it was brought to my attention that used GT500s are in the same ball park monetarily. (high 30k's to low 40k's)

Now while it's failry easy to test drive New Mustangs, getting a test drive on a GT500 is alot more rare. I have test driven the S197 Mustang GTs, and I know I'll be fine in it.

It won't be my only vehicle, but it will be my daily driver most of the time.
My other vehicle is a 2012 F150, so this wouldn't me my only vehicle.

Currently driving a BMW Z3, so I'm only used to about 230 hp. Though the Z is significantly lighter.

Also, it's currently only my wife and I. No kids to worry about.

I gotta say, the extra creature comforts and protections from a warranty on a new one are nice. Also the lower maintenance costs over time as it ages.

But then I've lusted after GT500s for years, and love the way they sound.

Anyone have any experience with both?

Reposted in the GT500 forum. Hope that's OK.

Kytann

Established Member
I was originally in the market for a 2016 Mustang GT Premium.

But it was brought to my attention that used GT500s are in the same ball park monetarily. (high 30k's to low 40k's)

Now while it's failry easy to test drive New Mustangs, getting a test drive on a GT500 is alot more rare. I have test driven the S197 Mustang GTs, and I know I'll be fine in it.

It won't be my only vehicle, but it will be my daily driver most of the time.
My other vehicle is a 2012 F150, so this wouldn't me my only vehicle.

Currently driving a BMW Z3, so I'm only used to about 230 hp. Though the Z is significantly lighter.

Also, it's currently only my wife and I. No kids to worry about.

I gotta say, the extra creature comforts and protections from a warranty on a new one are nice. Also the lower maintenance costs over time as it ages.

But then I've lusted after GT500s for years, and love the way they sound.

Anyone have any experience with both?

Reposted in the Mustang GT forum. Hope that's OK.

Kytann

Established Member
Also, I don't plan on modding either one, with the exception of an exhaust for sound. Either one will be plenty fast for me

FIVEHOE

Established Member
They are two completely different cars... this pretty much comes down to personal preference

Would you rather:
*A lightly used fast/straight line orientated car OR
*A new nice comfortable all around daily driver

Both take well to mods. I'm sure you'll get tons of responses on both sides, but they will all be personal opinion. Go test drive both and decide for yourself.

C.Stanley

Infidel
Established Member
Depending on your goals and what you want to do with the car. I wouldn't buy a GT500 If I was going to strip it down and build a track car. A GT is just a GT and will lose value a lot faster than a GT500. It's really up to you that's just my .02

Kytann

Established Member
Depending on your goals and what you want to do with the car. I wouldn't buy a GT500 If I was going to strip it down and build a track car. A GT is just a GT and will lose value a lot faster than a GT500. It's really up to you that's just my .02

Plan on just driving it. No mods planned, except maybe a louder exhaust. Maybe, the GT500s sound pretty sweet on their own from what I can tell.

Don't plan on tracking it at all. Just daily driving it.

C.Stanley

Infidel
Established Member
Either way you can't go wrong man. I have owned a lot of GT's and currently in my first GT500 . If you just plan on driving it I would try to find a GT500 that you like with the options you want, hop on and go. Sound good and make decent power stock.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
No comparison...GT500. The S550 is a cool car but it will never be GT500 cool...or valuable.

tvspower

Established Member
I owned a 06 gt and traded for the gt500. Never looked back or forward to anything else. 74k kms and daily driven in good weather only. Stored in the winter. Go gt500 and feel the WOW feeling.. Good luck

heatsoaked12

Established Member
Resale value will always go to the 500 (not that you'll make money,just wont loose as much) Sound goes to the 500 (by a long shot) View out the front goes to the 500.Comfort , I would give the nod to the 5.0. Shifting easier but not as strong of a tranny on the 5.0. Attention usually would go to the 500 (though I do like the 5.0 looks very much). I would sum it up by saying the 500 is an enthusiasts car and the 5.0 would be a drivers car. You cant loose either way really. My 500 (2012) has its problems ie; heat soak, second gear troubles, gear wine, wheel hop but the power and collectability have me keeping it over newer models for now, good luck.

1st usa car

Established Member
I decided on a GT00 because overall it was built to handle more power (engine, suspension, brakes)-- I was debating a GT premium and adding a turbo kit.

I am very happy about my decision = zero regrets

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
I've had both, the better car is subjective. The Shelby is more of a night/weekend car whereas the 15/16 is more luxury performance. I would not consider a 2010, iron block, 11-12's are great but 13+ is king.

04-OW-COBRA

Established Member
Owned both, recently sold my 500 to my buddy who has a problem with collecting mustangs. For a daily the 5.0 is hands down more comfy and a nicer overall car to drive. But it is hard to beat that instant torque the 500 makes off idle especially with a tvs on it. There are some faults with them though like mentioned above: gear whine, second gear issues on some, heat soak and a few others. But you own a Shelby and not just a Mustang. My current 15 is procharged and it is totally different the way the power comes on. I honestly get more looks and thumbs up in the 15 than i did in my 500. Think it over long and hard and get whichever you feel you'll have the most fun in.

fullsyz

Established Member
I say GT500 too, and wouldn't trade mine. But let's not forget what thread we are posting in. What are the guys in the GT thread saying?

Users who are viewing this thread