Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
so our oil coolers have been discontinued. my motor had a bottom end failure. there was trash in my oil from the bottom end failure. it damaged my pump and also damaged my turbo bearings.

so my question is should i take apart the oil cooler and clean it an reseal it or say fuk it and trash it and get another oil cooler/ or run without one.

badblacklx

Established Member
Yes unless you are road racing I say delete it. The cars were designed with that in mind and under hard acceleration and load for long periods of time it needs it. You are not subjecting it to anything near that so it isn't needed.

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
Mine is deleted. I believe it is really un needed for most. I agree that only those who spend extended amounts of time wide open and under hard load (auto cross, etc) need to have the cooler. However, you can make your own with a small front mounted cooler and make new lines to the block adapter and oil filter housing.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Mines deleted, runs perfect. It's a coolant "cooled" oil cooler, at high temps the coolant is pretty damn hot still. Without some type of "radiator" for it I didn't see as a very efficient or worth while piece especially on a street driven non road raced car.

1Fast-Turbo-Cou

Established Member
My oil cooler has been deleted for years and I've never had an issue but I've been considering putting a good oil cooler back on the car to see if it helps my oil last a little longer, plus I'm putting A/C back on the car.

ETA: I really didn't delete the cooler, my car is a GT and never had one.

Last edited:

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
My oil cooler has been deleted for years and I've never had an issue but I've been considering putting a good oil cooler back on the car to see if it helps my oil last a little longer, plus I'm putting A/C back on the car.

What are you running on the car currently? A gt setup?

1Fast-Turbo-Cou

Established Member
I just realized the cobra oil cooler isn't what I thought it was. I didn't know coolant ran through it, I thought it was a small fin type cooler mounted up front or on the frame rail some where. I would delete that thing if it was me. I wanna put a good oil cooler w/fan on my car. Probably mounted in front of the innercooler next to the tranny cooler, side by side. I'm using a B&M super cooler for the tranny so I'd probably just get another one and copy the tranny cooler mounting brackets, then get matching fans. I water jet cut a mounting plate to put a motorcycle electric fan on my tranny cooler, works really well but I have no idea what bike it came off of.

My car is a 2000 GT. It has an Accufab 4v B-head engine, twin Precision BB 6262 CEA's, 4R70W tranny, PTC converter, SRA, MoTeC engine management, 220lb injectors, full time e85, makes 950rwhp on 22psi. Car was built to be the ultimate daily driven 8 second street car.

Here's more info/pics.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/1408-2000-ford-mustang-gt-bad-karma/

1Fast-Turbo-Cou

Established Member
See this is what my adapter looks like, just has the water outlet, oil filter spot, and two pressure ports.

FC15A366-FAF1-4833-9BF5-87FD9964F0A6_zpspgguqivg.jpg

Only reason I haven't changed it yet is Accufab ported my adapter.

71CF3F43-4650-408A-851C-92422D24A8FF_zpsu5mcwie9.jpg

40E63A9C-FBE2-4A9F-A7B7-7D7799255D05_zpsihjmcga6.jpg

9B2EE3A9-9C7F-4E60-8121-11F45759BCB9_zpsf7zndb2e.jpg

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
See this is what my adapter looks like, just has the water outlet, oil filter spot, and two pressure ports.

FC15A366-FAF1-4833-9BF5-87FD9964F0A6_zpspgguqivg.jpg

Only reason I haven't changed it yet is Accufab ported my adapter.

71CF3F43-4650-408A-851C-92422D24A8FF_zpsu5mcwie9.jpg

40E63A9C-FBE2-4A9F-A7B7-7D7799255D05_zpsihjmcga6.jpg

9B2EE3A9-9C7F-4E60-8121-11F45759BCB9_zpsf7zndb2e.jpg

So it's a ported stock v6/gt 2v oil filter adaptor housing correct?

Does it clear a tubular k memeber with a stock filter?

Eatonualive281

Established Member
Subbing this thread. I've wondered why the hell ppl don't do this more often. Dont Mach 1s have this same style of oil adapter? Or is it similar to out cobras?

1Fast-Turbo-Cou

Established Member
So it's a ported stock v6/gt 2v oil filter adaptor housing correct?

Does it clear a tubular k memeber with a stock filter?

Yeah they ported it, basically just smoothed out the area where oil passes. Yes it clears my QA1 k-member, also uses the stock filter.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Ford calling it an oil cooler was a bit deceptive as it really does not serve as an oil cooler. If you read into them a bit they were designed to heat the oil to bring it up to temp faster for emissions purposes. People have been deleting them in street car and drag race applications for many years. Probably the most common and cheapest/easiest way to do it is to get a GT/Mach-1 water neck like what has been pictured above. This part is a straight replacement for the oil cooler and you don't even have to modify any of your coolant hoses.

snakeraper11b

Established Member
Deleted mine, also added an underdrive water pump pulley. I did this because the MM k-member doesn't clear it, and to increase cooling efficieny. The reduction in restriction in the adapter greatly reduces turbulence and the large H2O pulley slows the coolant down to decrease high rpm cavitation. It also allowed me to run a front mount air to oil cooler which is about X1000 times better than the factory piece. Drove 1400 miles from LA to Canada, sometimes cruising at over 100 for the better part of an hour with no issues. I have an oil pressure gauge on the block exit port and a temp gauge on the inlet port. Idle hot is 25 psi and 75-80psi under accel. Temps never go over 220.

snakeraper11b

Established Member
So I have a teksid block would it be the same adapter as the Mach 1/gt?

You want the ford racing adapter, its part # is M-6881-A5 for the aluminum block, and that is what I used on my teksid. I got mine over a year ago and had to search high and low. I know that they have been officially discontinued.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread