Dealerships Suck

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
03Terminator said:
There should be NO mark up, none, not a friggen penny over. :nono: And dealers who do mark the car up are :loser:

End of story..................

You obviously have no clue on what you talking about! Does everyone here realize that it is the guys out there that walk in to the dealerships and say "I will pay 10k over, 20k over etc.... that creates this!! You shouldn't hate the dealer, you should hate your friends, co-workers, boss ..... They are the ones creating the monster not the dealer.

If you don't like mark up then maybe you should not buy a beer at a restaurant, or a water at a night club, or pay a door fee to get into a club. It is the american way, and if others are willing to pay for it than business owners are going to charge it!

If you don't want the car for over MSRP then don't buy it!

rkomo

Herro, Mr. Itabashi here
Established Member
capello said:
Yes by god those Ford dealerships suck. Great now that we have gotten past the, "they suck part". Let me add that they are also blood sucking b@$tard$.. and a wast of skin....there, I feel better now

Agreed.... :lol:

beabout

Established Member
I have from time to time been very wrong in my assessment of others... But not this time...

GTWill

Established Member
mrGT said:
This is not a true statement...it does not happen EVERY time. You are dealing with the wrong dealership if you are saying it happens every time TO YOU. While I will agree that there are lying, cheating dealers, not all are like that. Maybe I don't see what you see because when I go into the dealership, I pride myself in knowing more about the car I want then the salesman knows...in fact, I apply that to any large purchase I make. When Gore inventing the internet, he opened up the doors to most of the hiding places of the dealers. Forums like this are a great way to gain information and ideas. The salesman can only lie to those that are not informed. My advice has always been....Be Informed!

In the last 15 years, I can honestly say that I have had good experiences from those I have dealt with. (You can read into that, that I have run across a few "bad" salespeople, but I quickly disposed of them and stuck to the ones I felt comfortable around.)
OK let me rephrase. It happens to ME everytime. That is what I ment. I'm not with you when you buy your vehicles so how could I possibly know otherwise. If a salesman can only lie to those who are not informed how do they know their being lied to?

Jackie Chan

getin' slizurd on da goos
Established Member
i know plenty of car people(im one). most are really nice people and NOT liars. but there are definitely some super scumbags, like any business.

Ive never been one to tell people they are getting the best deal, i like to use the word "fair". Because all it takes is a phone call to another store and the customer can get $100 more off and those people are a pain in the ass anyway so f em.

Now if I have a Shelby to sell and a guy wants to pay me 20k over, i won't feel like a scumbag(if anyone did they woud be a complete idiot). I would be really pissed if I sold one for 20k over and the dealer only paid me a flat on 25.5k of front gross counting holdback. Whats the point of me selling it for that much? If i get paid 1k for a 4k gross deal and the same 1k flat for a 25.5k deal, I would rather just sell it for msrp. **** the dealer and that greedy shit

mrGT

Established Member
GTWill said:
OK let me rephrase. It happens to ME everytime. That is what I ment. I'm not with you when you buy your vehicles so how could I possibly know otherwise. If a salesman can only lie to those who are not informed how do they know their being lied to?
I see your frustration with all the car salespeople. You have hit upon a truism. That being..."You won't know that you're being lied to unless you know the truth." But I thought you were talking in a past tense...you believed the salesperson, then you discovered later that they had lied. If that is the case, then I can see why you do not trust the salesmen. Hopefully, you are not a return customer to those dealerships that have lied to you. If you know they are lying to you and buy from them any way...well, I wouldn't give anyone that lies to me my money...but that's just me.

I hope one of these days, you'll happen across a good dealer or two. I know I have. And for what it's worth, I wish you could go with me the next time I buy a car...you would see an honest salesman.

Maybe I am naive, but I do believe that not all people are bad...but that's not to say that all people are good, either. And I do believe there are some car salesmen that have integrity and are honest...just like I believe that there are some lower than a snake's belly.

~

Last edited:

PJM99

Established Member
can't totally blame the dealers when you have people out there that can and will buy these cars at any price.

rukrazy

Established Member
mrGT very well put. as you already know, you can apply your last paragraph to every work force in the world.

CaliCobra

Established Member
It does sound like everyone understands the dynamics, it really is another to see how they perceive the dynamics depending on which part of the deal they are on.

Many good points were made. Ford has a role for sure in not being exact with their plans. They make no more money on such a low production car as dealers pay invoice no matter the markup. They want their dealers to profit, then they move more product and both win.

Now I beleive alot of reaction is based on tone and word choice. There are so many more politically correct ways to say things that wont get the reaction like labeling someone a liar does. As well as what one beleives consistutes lies.

Lets say omission of fact, now is that as bad? Most would say no. In this context are they the same? Perhaps. We are all big boys and girls and being on a community like this means you are no doubt the type that does due diligence and goes in with as much knowledge as you can without actually working for a dealer.

So lets say they are not liars, they just are they will maximize their commision even if it entails saying or not saying things. I beleive Jackie illustrated part of the tought process. Not being personal, just looking at the tought process. Why should my dealer get that much when he is ripping someone off if I dont get an equally big cut. But if his cut was bigger than its all good and seen as fair. Though in both scenarios the customer paid the same.

But that is realistic and why those guys stand out in the freezing rain in a group calling out cars as they pass. They are not their to be your buddy or win merit badges, they want as much commision as they can get. Else they would work normal jobs. The conflict of interest is obvoius.

The perfect example of what I mean by ommision (or I thing of as mis truth) is when someone comes in who is a seasoned buyer and lets say they get the car at $150 over actual cost. Obviously if the dealer agreed they thought it was reasonalbe profit for that item else they would say not have sold it. The deal wraps up and the salesman greets the next customer, who low and behold is looking for the exact same vehicle he just sold for $150 over cost.

Well this customer is older and does not even have a computer. But they know what they can afford. They put that out and agree to 1800 over cost @ 1000 under MSRP. So the salesman, could easily say, "Hey we sell these for $1650 less", so that is what you should offer and I know my GM will accept it. So is that little omission of fact an ethical problem or not?

Now lets throw on top of that that he was nice and talked about the same teams and players and how both your daughters were in the same Jr college. Never 'lying' the whole time. The customer walks away happy and likes there experience.

So someone on the outside told of the scenario, what do they think? Depends on who you are or what you do for a living, eh?

Real life. If you perceive it and are happy with what you perceive than that is great. Just realize that reality is subjective.

rukrazy

Established Member
let's flip the coin for a second, cost(net, net, net) that's after invoice, holdback and rebates is 25,000...a customer comes in and says he's been shopping and he can buy that veh for 24,000. we all know he can't. so we ask him why didn't he buy it for that at the other dealership, he states he wanted to see what we could do. so we tell him we can not sell the veh at that price, he then asks " well what can u sell it for?" who just lied? Oh i forgot its o.k. to lie to a car dealer.

Jackie Chan

Established Member
CaliCobra said:
So lets say they are not liars, they just are they will maximize their commision even if it entails saying or not saying things. I beleive Jackie illustrated part of the tought process. Not being personal, just looking at the tought process. Why should my dealer get that much when he is ripping someone off if I dont get an equally big cut. But if his cut was bigger than its all good and seen as fair. Though in both scenarios the customer paid the same.

My point is, the dealer's are the greedy ones, 99% of the salespeople that sell these vehicles over sticker will not make any additional money on it. I was using that as an example to show where the greed comes into play. Selling something for market value is not greed.

beabout

Established Member
Really,

Jackie Chan said:
Selling something for market value is not greed.

OK, lets see how everyone screams when gas goes to 3.65 a gallon. People will still buy it so, its ok to sell it at any price.

Well I've put a deposit on one about a year ago,and I'm buying mind at MSRP,and not a peeny over. There are dealers out there that will not mark this Shelby GT500 over MSRP. All I did was a deposit with the General MGR.,and a hand shake,and you can bring that to the bank and deposit it. So just shop around and locate a Ford Dealer that will not depend on a car to keep ther doors open. Just an opnion not meant to be an insult,make some phone calls while you can,and put a deposit and get on the Shelby GT500 List if you want one. Just my 2 cents worth of advice!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

mrGT

Established Member
Randy Fontenot said:
Well I've put a deposit on one about a year ago,and I'm buying mind at MSRP,and not a peeny over. There are dealers out there that will not mark this Shelby GT500 over MSRP. All I did was a deposit with the General MGR.,and a hand shake,and you can bring that to the bank and deposit it. So just shop around and locate a Ford Dealer that will not depend on a car to keep ther doors open. Just an opnion not meant to be an insult,make some phone calls while you can,and put a deposit and get on the Shelby GT500 List if you want one. Just my 2 cents worth of advice!!!!!!!!
That's the key to your success. Back then, only a few had the foresight to do what you did. In today's craziness, finding a "good" dealer with room on a list to get one now at MSRP would be akin to winning the lottery.

cobrao3

Established Member
ford is building 8900 a year for 3 years we are trying make it 10,000 the hype will come down then a-plan remember 03 cobra. i work at aai the home of the new mustang

GTWill

Established Member
rukrazy said:
let's flip the coin for a second, cost(net, net, net) that's after invoice, holdback and rebates is 25,000...a customer comes in and says he's been shopping and he can buy that veh for 24,000. we all know he can't. so we ask him why didn't he buy it for that at the other dealership, he states he wanted to see what we could do. so we tell him we can not sell the veh at that price, he then asks " well what can u sell it for?" who just lied? Oh i forgot its o.k. to lie to a car dealer.
What side of the coin are you on? Let me guess you sell cars.

rukrazy

Established Member
ding ding ding, we have a winner! GTWill is correct, i sell cars(sales mgr). have been for a long time now. against popular belief u do not have to lie, cheat nor mislead customers in order to be successful as a car dealership. except for being in the Army for 10 years i have lived and worked in the same small town that i grew up in. when u earn peoples trust then u can be successful in anything u do. Trust is also not to be taken lightly, some dare i say alot of salespeople(all fields) do not live by this.

Jackie Chan

Established Member
capello said:
Really,

OK, lets see how everyone screams when gas goes to 3.65 a gallon. People will still buy it so, its ok to sell it at any price.

lamest example ever!!!

YOU DONT HAVE TO BUY A ****ING Shelby!! You can buy a vette or GTO for less money. We arent talking about one solitary universal product that you have to by to make it through everyday life LIKE GAS.

Last edited:

BlownBolt

Doesn't Care
Established Member
GT500SC said:
I am really F#kin pissed with this whole dealer markup bullsh#t. I have spent the last 30 years waiting for the big three one of which I work for to manufacture a car worth buying. Ford has been the first to take a chance and redesign something from the past that has raw power and style. And now the is a large chance I'll miss out out on my dream because some greety basta#ds want to clean up. Well F#ck you guys running the show at the dealerships. I hope you all die a slow death after you screw all your customers. :cuss:
HAHA did you think the dealers were going to sell these at invoice or something? Dont buy it then. Quit Bitching.

Users who are viewing this thread