Dealer Woes...

CyberDaveA

Established Member
I took my car to Don Reid Ford in Maitland, FL yesterday after work, because I have a really squeaky throw-out bearing. I get there and the service manager tells me I should drop my car off in the morning and arrange for a ride. I inquired about getting a rental car while my car is being looked at/worked on. He asked me if I was the first owner of the car, and where I bought it from. I told him I got it used and he then told me that it's against their policy to offer free rentals, unless your the original owner.

He was being a prick... so I left and called Greenway Ford on my way home. Spoke to a knowledgeable service advisor there and he ran an oasis report on my car. He said that as a SVT owner I'm entitled to a free rental, and my car should be washed and vacuumed by the dealer. But he said that there would be a $85 charge for a tech to look at my car. This fee is reimbursed if the problem is a warranty issue. I told him that I suspect that it's my TOB and he said it would cost $300 for them to drop the tranny and take a look... But IF it's a warranty issue they will reimburse that fee too. I asked him what would negate a warranty issue and his response was "wear and tear on the clutch".... "And since you're not the original owner... that might be the case". Now I'm scared to death to go back. I get the feeling that no matter where I go I'm gonna get screwed.

Does anybody have any advice for me... or helpful information. I need to get my car running right... but I can't afford a thousand dollar repair for something stupid like a TOB.

kn7671

Established Member
You don't mention how many miles are on the car. Unless you are under 12000 miles, forget the dealer when talking about a clutch issue. Brakes, clutch, & tires wall under wear and tear, and not many people cover it beyond 12000 miles unless you paid for an extended warranty that does cover it, but even then they have the liberty to say the damage or pre-mature wear is from abuse.

Ya know, you could drop the tranny yourself and replace the throw-out bearing for less than $50.00 and a little elbow grease. It only involves some tools, a jack, and jackstands to do this. The entire work is probably 6 hours in your driveway, or less if you have help.

TRBO VNM

something doesn't seem right. first or second owner you should get a loaner. I did when I bought my 03 privately. But I didn't get the yr free SVTOA membership or all the freebies from SVT.

And if it is under warranty you do not have to pay for them to check out the problem. That is crap. find another dealer.

CyberDaveA

Established Member
I have 11400 miles on the car... And I guess I've just heard of so many people on this forum having problems and getting thier TOB's replaced... that it seems pretty common. I believe there is a TSB on this issue... so I just assumed they would fix it without any questions. So if I fix it myself, can I get ahold of the newly designed sleeve's from Ford? I'd rather have the dealer do it... but I do have a mechanic friend that can help me out.

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
Yea, my vote is to search for Dealer # 3. Both of these dealers sound like ass-hats.

THE FLASH

"Mr. Sulu, Warp factor 3"
Established Member
Find another dealer! My old 01 cobra was used and the dealer never once said anything to me about not getting the benefits that SVT owners are entitled to. He just does not have a clue! I did have a situation with my old car and a service rep (no longer working there). He would not give me a free rental. Another rep took car of it. As far as them cleaning my car......it may be free but I will clean my own car.

I have had my new 03 in for a few items and I never had to say a peep about needing a car...they just got it for me. It was a focus :rockon: :lol:

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
There's an inspection plate that is held on by like 4 screws. If it's your input shaft retainer sleeve, which is what it most commonly is, then all they have to do is put it on a lift, remove the cover and try to shake the retainer.

You're getting the run around.

kn7671

Established Member
If you go to the dealer parts counter at a Ford Dealership and request a Throw Out Bearing for your car, it should be the new design. If you go to a local parts supply like AutoZone or Parts Plus, if they can get it, it will most likely be like the original per Ford's specs.

If the car is in your name it doesn't matter if your the 8th owner....You always get a rental and a wash. And the dealer that tried to charge you up front is a scam....You never pay a dime to have your car looked at....That dealer is full of $hit!!!!1

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Sorry to hear of your troubles. In my opinion I would continiue searching for a dealer and service rep that will treat you how you should be treated.I happened to luck out, but Im sure that there is someone out there that wont treat you like dirt. Keep searching and when you find that particular dealer/service rep make sure you take care of them $$. Good Luck, Black03

White04Cobra

Established Member
Let me know what you find out since I live in Orlando too and just bought mine at Sun State Ford. I had problems in the past with them dealing with my warranty issues on another vehicle but it was a while back.

I only have about 900 miles on it so far so it is too soon to bring it back for them to repair anything.

CyberDaveA

Established Member
This Sucks... I don't know where to take my car... any other Orlando owners have a good suggestion ?!?

svtxchinoy

Established Member
Gees, always hearing problems with those Florida dealers. When I took my Montero down there for a free oil change, they ended up leaving the old oil in and just made me wait for an hour.

MystiChrome Coupe

Established Member
Is there a dealer named greenway or something like that in or around Orlando? I think it was right off of some sort of toll freeway. 1 of the times I was down in Deltona visiting family I had to take my '01 in for a leaking read end. They replaced the defective bearing or whatever & never said anything about the mods I had on the car, which was just a CAI & exhaust at that point. But the catback was a FR500, so they had to pull it off to get to the rear end.

BTW, I didn't get a rental because I waited on the car. I went to the dealer with my brother in law one day & told a service writer my problem & he got me scheduled for the next day.

Just a heads up in case this might be a good dealer to try in the Orlando area.

EDIT:bash: I just reread your post. can't believe I missed that you already mentioned them.

Guess I should read post's better before responding:kaboom:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread