Dealer wants $2k deposit to get on list for '15 Mustang

flS/R

Established Member
Interest on 2k for 8 months would be something like $40, if that.

2k still seems ridiculous for a deposit. Keep shopping.

^^this may be so, but if 100 people put a deposit, then it becomes considerably more. The finance guy who came up with this would be able to use the interest earned by just holding the people's money to purchase his own car without having to really do anything except write down a list and put the money in the bank

:dancenana:

CAPTAIN JACK

Established Member
I did not take a deposit, because there are many folks who cover themselves by putting token deposits at several dealers, the only deposit taken was when they signed a buyers order and ordered the actual car, which they got built just as they wanted. First come , first serve...also many " prospects " on a car...express interest..but when it comes time to actually do the deal...." I have ask my wife"..." I can't do it now"..
call me whe one comes in...why would I tie up an allocation for a car...for someone who
is not serious?
"'

flS/R

Established Member
I did not take a deposit, because there are many folks who cover themselves by putting token deposits at several dealers, the only deposit taken was when they signed a buyers order and ordered the actual car, which they got built just as they wanted. First come , first serve...also many " prospects " on a car...express interest..but when it comes time to actually do the deal...." I have ask my wife"..." I can't do it now"..
call me whe one comes in...why would I tie up an allocation for a car...for someone who
is not serious?
"'

^^truth right here

reason4treason

Established Member
I'm used to $1000 with it covered by a signed note saying it's fully refundable should you change your mind for any reason. And it is for a position in line, but that of course depends on your believing the dealer is telling you the truth about what number in line you are. not all that uncommon for a person to have all this in place, and the dealer sells the car out from under you anyway when somebody offers a higher-than-msrp price. even then, you could for example actually be first in placing the order but that doesn't necessarily mean the car gets built in that order. I've just done so for a 2015 Z06 and wouldn't be surprised if I don't see it until June 2015. I can live with that.

I don't think there'll be a monster demand at the gate for 5.0 as for example there was with 13/14 GT500. With GT350, I do think it's going to be at least a brief stampede, especially considering that there will by then have been people chomping at the bit to get the latest and greatest 'Stang after the 'dry spell' since '14GT500 and '13 Boss.

If you're that uncomfortable about $2000, just shop around.

BigBen408

Established Member
I wouldn't piss on a dealer if they were on fire. Wait until the 2015 is easily picked up on any new car lot. Don't pay premiums. It's giving money away!!! Even if your ultra wealthy it doesn't make sense to just give money away to another wealthy person

Just_A_GT

Established Member
I reserved a place in line for my 2012 BOSS before officially announced, a year in advance, with a $500.00 refundable deposit, if I didn't want the car when available for ordering, included in writing was no higher than MSRP.

Agree. I put down $500 "good-faith" for my 2014 to ensure my order gets processed. Obviously it's refundable too. The norm seems to be $250-$500, but no more than that.

2001GTTT

Yellow is faster
Established Member
LOL, I could put you on a list for much less, that is if my managers even know what we have incoming, or I could do a factory order for you with a much smaller deposit. You would have to come here to sign out and pick it up tho.

2001GTTT

Yellow is faster
Established Member
I always build a " courtesy " list of Mustang prospects and when the 500's, Boss, allocations came out from Ford, I just started calling down the list, 1st guy to answer
got a car, and so on. Deposit? For what? The right to be in line? Give him your info.
and leave... I sold all my allocation in 24 hrs. using the above method, and at MSRP
on all model years.

Exactly. High end allocations are usually always sold before the car even gets here anyway. Dont let that dealer do that to you. :beer:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
The CLA45 AMG deposit that I laid down was only $1,000. $2,000 for a mustang...No way!

Users who are viewing this thread