Dealer wants $2k deposit to get on list for '15 Mustang

Brian Z.

Established Member
I always buy used cars, and the numerous mustangs I've owned over the years have all been at least a few years old when I got them, but I am thinking of trading my daily driver ('11 BMW 335d) in on a new mustang because I am really digging it.

Contacted the largest Ford dealer in my area and they want a $2k deposit to get on the list. Is this typical? It's not that $2k is that much money, but I'd rather be earning interest on it than letting them hang onto it for the next 8 months.

Thoughts? Advice? Thanks.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
id be expecting huge market pricing adjustments from most of those guys too unless you get it in writing and even then Id be skeptical

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
Send me $2000 and I will put you on a list.:poke:

Lemers

Established Member
As far as the V6 and V8 goes you will have no problem getting them at the end of year. So unless you are the guy that must have the first one on the lot there is no need to get on the waiting list. Besides, those guys on the waiting list will be charged a premium for the car.

Husker

Established Member
I reserved a place in line for my 2012 BOSS before officially announced, a year in advance, with a $500.00 refundable deposit, if I didn't want the car when available for ordering, included in writing was no higher than MSRP.

Now, I have the same agreement for a 2015 Halo (GT350, Mach or SE?) the Dealer is not small.

They offered me no deposit, I insisted on the $500.00 + everything in writing, if for no other reason, than peace of mind & who knows, it may be very limited and then getting on a list, after an official announcement from Ford ,will have everybody asking to get on a list-->:shrug:

jes_csx

Established Member
I reserved a place in line for my 2012 BOSS before officially announced, a year in advance, with a $500.00 refundable deposit, if I didn't want the car when available for ordering, included in writing was no higher than MSRP.

Now, I have the same agreement for a 2015 Halo (GT350, Mach or SE?) the Dealer is not small.

They offered me no deposit, I insisted on the $500.00 + everything in writing, if for no other reason, than peace of mind & who knows, it may be very limited and then getting on a list, after an official announcement from Ford ,will have everybody asking to get on a list-->:shrug:

For the "halo" car, I'd call this a very wise move :thumbsup:

Brian Z.

Established Member
Thanks guys. I'll check with some other dealers and see what their position is. I'm not sure how crazy the demand will be for a 5.0 anyway, so putting a deposit down might not make sense.

FIVEHOE

Established Member
Do we even have an idea of what the price will be yet?

CAPTAIN JACK

Established Member
I always build a " courtesy " list of Mustang prospects and when the 500's, Boss, allocations came out from Ford, I just started calling down the list, 1st guy to answer
got a car, and so on. Deposit? For what? The right to be in line? Give him your info.
and leave... I sold all my allocation in 24 hrs. using the above method, and at MSRP
on all model years.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
$2k is ridiculous.

I'd give $500 max, but you're basically giving the dealer an interest free loan for an unspecified amount of time.

Husker

Established Member
I always build a " courtesy " list of Mustang prospects and when the 500's, Boss, allocations came out from Ford, I just started calling down the list, 1st guy to answer
got a car, and so on. Deposit? For what? The right to be in line? Give him your info.
and leave... I sold all my allocation in 24 hrs. using the above method, and at MSRP
on all model years.

So, if I wasn't able to answer the phone someone below me would get it? Which is why a deposit shows I'm serious.

Users who are viewing this thread