Dealer that gives Dealerships a Bad Name

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
He was using Ford's money as long as he possibly could, to make him more money.

I imagine it either was 'cashed in' or reinvested in more inventory. Either way, big mess up.

Same thing happened to Pete Franklin in Kansas City...now all of his stores have to be in his kid's names.

A majority of car dealerships do not screw people, it's definitely a minority. Just like in any industry, a few bad players give everyone a bad name. It's a lot more common for people to bitch about their experiences than it is to praise someone.

For instance, I've sold 21 cars to members of this forum. Aside from 3, no one has ever given me a public thanks on this forum for doing so. I have helped numerous SVTP members get parts, with 0 public thanks. I couldn't even begin to tell you how many members I've helped with window stickers, invoices, pricing, finding a vehicle (not even selling it to them), helping them negotiate what their trade is worth, etc, with very little acknowledgement.

Now, on the flipside, if ONE member had a really shitty experience with me (whether for real, or perceived) it would be all over this site and people would bandwagon and more or less blackball me. There is no doubt in my mind that it's true.
You’ve helped me multiple times and I have definitely thanked you publicly here.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
While I have you Ford guys here, a question about Ford dealer parts systems. My brother has a 12 Platinum Ecoboost. He gets his old motor oil checked by Black Stone labs. He started to get a lot of fuel in his oil. I found Ford has a TSB and updated PCV to remedy this fuel issue on 11-14 trucks. My brother drives to a dealership to get a new PCV, supposed to be brown instead of black, they give him a black one. He explains there's a TSB and the new part is brown. Guy insists it's correct and current so he brings it home. Guy is wrong, I give my brother the part # from the TSB. Guy blames Ford's system for not updating for new parts.

Guy is correct, system sucks, or guy is dumb? My brother will do the hour trip again to pick up the correct PCV tomorrow.

Generally speaking, Ford doesn't have a catalog. Snap-on and the like sell the catalog software. They just license the part numbers/diagrams from Ford.

As for the TSB part, those aren't placed in the catalog. Unless they are going to globally replace the other part. Footnotes/fitment notes don't really work in the Ford catalogs like that. They don't say "OE part" XXX and then "TSB Part" YYY. It just spits the one out to you. If you need anything TSB related, you need the TSB number and they pull the number there.

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
Generally speaking, Ford doesn't have a catalog. Snap-on and the like sell the catalog software. They just license the part numbers/diagrams from Ford.

As for the TSB part, those aren't placed in the catalog. Unless they are going to globally replace the other part. Footnotes/fitment notes don't really work in the Ford catalogs like that. They don't say "OE part" XXX and then "TSB Part" YYY. It just spits the one out to you. If you need anything TSB related, you need the TSB number and they pull the number there.

Yup, we use SnapOn right now, used MicroCat before. The TSBs don't show up in the parts catalog except for rare instances. Lost count of how many customers let me get to teh point of looking something up and then say "O there is a TSB" because I have every TSB memorized.

greenscobie86

Established Member
giphy.gif

Sounds like good ole' Jerry Lundegaard scenario. You're darn tootin'.

venomous2004

Established Member
in the way im glad its happened and will be happening till FORD or any so call "BIG CAR" MNFGs put a stop to it......
they (car mnfs) have "asking" for this for many decades!!!
o......btw.....
now is the time to get rid of all of the middle man (AKA. DEALERS) and start selling cars directly to consumers-
HUGE savings to everyone!!!.
except "BIG CAR MNFS" want to protect them selfs from direct law suits, warranty claims BS etc., so they installed the middle man, well sometimes they get scam at their own game.
except when all is falling down guess who comes to the rescue ???
AMERICAN TAX PAYER!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
If Ford's parts system is anything like the parts system at most other OEMs, it sucks. It's completely possible his system didn't update, yet.

Source: I work in the parts business of a multi-billion dollar OEM.
I deal with parts across all brands every day, although not through their own parts systems. Without a doubt Nissan's is the worst in my experience. Majority of my 100+ cars on my lot are 2017s at the oldest but only Nissan has OEM parts I need that literally dont exist in their systems lol. I just had a Versa that needed a new spoiler that literally all of Enterprise's Versas are equipped with. I give them the part number and they tell me it doesn't exist. They order the part number anyways to see what happens and I get a spoiler that doesn't share the same part number but looks exactly like the same design although much smaller than the one I need. Sentras share rear reflectors with another model in their lineup but the reflector is flipped around on the other car. Say you order a R reflector from them it used to be where they would send you a L reflector because that is the corresponding part number in Nissan's catelog. It never got fixed so I would just order a L reflector in order to get the R side; it's ridiculous lol.

I know Ford has some issues but luckily my parts guy at Ford is a boss and fixes it all before it gets to me.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the svtperformance.com mobile app

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
in the way im glad its happened and will be happening till FORD or any so call "BIG CAR" MNFGs put a stop to it......
o......btw.....
now is the time to get rid of all of the middle man (AKA. DEALERS) and start selling cars directly to consumers-
except "BIG CAR MNFS" want to protect them selfs from direct law suits, warranty claims BS etc., so they installed the middle man, well sometimes they get scam at their own game.
AMERICAN TAX PAYER!!!!

Problem is that manufacturers selling directly to consumers is against the law I believe. Tesla got hit in violation of it a few years ago iirc.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the svtperformance.com mobile app

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Problem is that manufacturers selling directly to consumers is against the law I believe.

I'm no economist and I'm not Boogie Man esquire, but can someone please explain to me why this would make even a shred of sense?

You make something, you sell it to the person that wants to use it....

Whatever happened to,
  • "Hey, I have some apples, would you like to buy them?"
  • "Yes, thank you!"
That's as complicated as it should be to open a business in this country.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
o......btw.....
AMERICAN TAX PAYER!!!!

They aren't just protecting themselves from lawsuits, etc...the manufacturers save a TON of money by using a dealer system.

1.) They do not have to have ANY financial interest in service or sales facilities to maintain and fix the vehicles they manufacture. While you "may" want to just order a vehicle online sight unseen, 93% (as of December 2017) of the U.S. population still want to complete their purchase at a dealership and look the vehicle over before taking it home.
2.) They get paid immediately once delivering the vehicles to a Ford dealership, if they had to floorplan their own vehicles it would cost them hundreds of MILLIONS a month.
3.) They would have to increase their employee base exponentially, which leads to more in salaries, more in wages, more in healthcare, more in benefits, etc.

A dealer system saves the manufacturers a fortune.

Not to mention, a dealer system, helps fund local communities. Car dealerships are typically the largest sponsors for all community events. When doing a study last year for the lawsuit (mentioned below), it was found that in Missouri alone, automobile dealerships were the absolute highest paying sponsors in the state (In 2016, taking in to account all reported charities, and charitable events). That's a ton of money given back every year, that the manufacturers wouldn't do.

Not to mention all of employees that dealership's employ and provide benefits too.

I'm no economist and I'm not Boogie Man esquire, but can someone please explain to me why this would make even a shred of sense?

You make something, you sell it to the person that wants to use it....

It's against the law in some states, not in others.

In Missouri for instance, it's not illegal for manufacturers to sell directly to consumers, however it is against the law for like businesses to practice in unlike ways. There's been an ongoing lawsuit between MADA (Missouri Automobile Dealers Association) and the Department of Revenue/Tesla for granting Tesla a dealer's license even though their business model violates the Franchise law in the state of Missouri.

But at the end of the day, Tesla doesn't sell enough vehicles to even worry about them as ANY form of competition.

Last edited:

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
My purchases at the dealer I use have always been a great experience, price, finance, trade, etc.

Their service on the other hand sucks balls, I loathe having to bring my cars or trucks in for any type of warranty or recall Work. Can’t tell you the number of times things have gone wrong with the service sept.

Fortunately I’m capable of doing most basic maintenance stuff myself, so I rarely have to go back to service.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
My purchases at the dealer I use have always been a great experience, price, finance, trade, etc.

Their service on the other hand sucks balls, I loathe having to bring my cars or trucks in for any type of warranty or recall Work. Can’t tell you the number of times things have gone wrong with the service sept.

Fortunately I’m capable of doing most basic maintenance stuff myself, so I rarely have to go back to service.

It blows my mind that there are still dealerships that have really poor service departments. With the amount of money spent on training, etc, there's no excuse for it anymore.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Nick, You should own / operate one dealership in all 48 continental states, be the official ford dealer of svtperformance!

“We’ve got you covered coast to coast”

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nick, You should own / operate one dealership in all 48 continental states, be the official ford dealer of svtperformance!

“We’ve got you covered coast to coast”

Can I borrow about $750 mil? haha

I do plan on purchasing 2-3 more storefronts in the next 10 years, but it's not practical for me to spread them throughout the country. It would be much easier if they were all within a few hours drive.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
If I had to buy directly from Ford it would cost me a lot more money.

I could basically get MSRP minus rebates and maybe x plan.

Nick gives me far better deals than that.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If I had to buy directly from Ford it would cost me a lot more money.

I could basically get MSRP minus rebates and maybe x plan.

Nick gives me far better deals than that.

They wouldn't exchange dinners either...haha

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yeah. I would have never learned how good KC BBQ is either.

We'll have to do that the next time you guys are around. We need to figure out a good weekend for you guys to fly Rachel's plane here. I'll cover the gas.

Users who are viewing this thread