Dealer says "cold air intake" does not add HP on 03 Cobras

rbeverid

Established Member
I asked my dealer about the CAI modification and he said their dealership tested an 03 with just a CAI and there were no gains. He recommended going with just air box mods (remove silencer, larger filter, etc)

What do you think?

Rwick7

Established Member
Was the dealer Andersen?

If not, don't believe them.

I'm not sure how much of a difference there is on a dyno between the different intakes and the stock airbox with a K&N but at speed I'm sure the better designs will seperate from the pack. Just my 2 cents. :beer:

rbeverid

Established Member
Originally posted by rbeverid
I asked my dealer about the CAI modification and he said their dealership tested an 03 with just a CAI and there were no gains. He recommended going with just air box mods (remove silencer, larger filter, etc)

What do you think?

The dealership was Anderson, why do you ask that?

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
http://www.andersonfordmotorsport.com/

Thats why, they make this

O3CobraACkit2.jpg

O3CobraACKit.jpg

Excerpt from their site-

Anderson Ford Motorsport has been intensively testing intake pipes for the '03 Cobra
to develop a Power Pipe®. What we have found is SVT did a very good job on the
stock intake pipe on the '03 Cobra and we could not pick up H.P. over it.

We are not interested in making a Power Pipe® for looks, so at this time
we are offering an Air Cleaner kit with our new AFM air cleaner.
This kit is worth 10 H.P. plus at the rear wheels on the '03 Cobra. This is a newly
designed Air Cleaner with deeper pleats than the K&N and has
a smoother inside radius for better air flow.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I am probably going to try this after reading several members noticing lean conditions on af readings with CAI/fender well kits that have the 90 degree bend into the fender... I don't wanna have too chip to correct a lean condition...

jumpincactus

Warriors come out to play
Established Member
And to add my 2 cents I have noticed a little lack of SOTP since I installed my CAI. It was fine for a day or 2 then it seems to have lost power and torque. Not sure whats up with that.

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Re: Re: Dealer says "cold air intake" does not add HP on 03 Cobras

Originally posted by rbeverid
The dealership was Anderson, why do you ask that?

Because Anderson AKA Anderson motorsports is well known for their "power pipes". They work very with centrifugal SC's but we have a roots type blower. They did some R&D on a power pipe for the '03 but reported on their website that they got zero gains so they scrapped the '03 pipe. Their pipe usually fits between the MAF and TB but Ford apparently did a very good job on that piece. THe biggest restriction in the inlet path is the aribox so they were correct in steering you that way but consumer dynos have shown that CAI's can give you significant gains, 20rwhp is not unheard of. As always though it depends on your combo and sometimes your cars personality. ;-)

grnenvy

Established Member
SoCalblk03 is 100% right. I have Anderson's kit on my car and it made a big differance over the pipe with the small fiter in the fender. My car make's more pwr and idles perfect. The only differance is that Anderson sold me a bigger filter than he usually sells with the kit . It has to be atleast 2-3 inches bigger but that is ok with me.

NWUCIT

Established Member
grnenvy,

It looks like the AFM filter just "hangs" on the MAF....is there any support under it?....if it is not supported by anything, is it front heavy or is there any problem you've noticed...like the intake tube rubbing on the valve covers, etc???...looks like a decent set up with a fair price.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks for the info on the air cleaner kit. Good price and something I think is on my list of things to buy for the Spring thaw up here in CT.

rezcobra

Established Member
If the Anderson kit doesn't come with a heat shield wouldn't you be losing hp in the summer months? Anderson also claims a 10 hp gain. PHP has a similar setup except they have a brace and a heat shield and a claim of 22 hp. They use a K&N filter and retails at 329. Appears like the differences are in hp gains are quite significant. Also consider the first time a magazine tested the 03 Cobra all they did was remove the silencer and added a K&N drop in filter and gained 10 hp. The drop in K&N filter is only 50 bucks. How much is the Anderson setup? Point is to me I would rather spend 50 bucks for a 10 hp gain and I might go for the 22 hp gain for 329.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Originally posted by rezcobra
If the Anderson kit doesn't come with a heat shield wouldn't you be losing hp in the summer months? Anderson also claims a 10 hp gain. PHP has a similar setup except they have a brace and a heat shield and a claim of 22 hp. They use a K&N filter and retails at 329. Appears like the differences are in hp gains are quite significant. Also consider the first time a magazine tested the 03 Cobra all they did was remove the silencer and added a K&N drop in filter and gained 10 hp. The drop in K&N filter is only 50 bucks. How much is the Anderson setup? Point is to me I would rather spend 50 bucks for a 10 hp gain and I might go for the 22 hp gain for 329.

The Anderson setup is 79.99, not bad

look at their dyno graph 354 before 371 rwhp after...not bad....they said 10 plus to the rear.

03cobraac.jpg

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Dealer says "cold air intake" does not add HP on 03 Cobras

Originally posted by Tetge
What's with the new graphics? 160? It looks as if you are starting off the new year with attitude....lol

Attitude? Nah, got bored and decided to join the sig graphics "club". You know me I'd never go that fast on public roads, magic of a photo editer and the gauge cluster test, :lol:

larryc7777

Established Member
Here's what works for me: DenseCharger "in fender" pipe with K&N in the down position, mated to the stock airbox by way of a surgically altered silencer tube. No filter in airbox(just the orange rubber seal) & screening material removed from stock MAF gasket/seal thingy. Looks stock, no stalls, & same boost level as full DC setup.

grnenvy

Established Member
NWUCIT
My air filter is longer than the one Anderson shows in his picture so the front of the filter rests on the inner fender. So there is know need for a support. I have a piece of aluminum that I got from home depot that I use as a shield. I have my hood vents open on my car and the heat shield removed , so my air filter sucks from the vent and the inner fender. I believe that the filter that Anderson sells is the best and the biggest and that you don't want to shield the filter completly or it will restrict the motor. I didn't buy his setup because it is cheap I bought it because I no his record. He has some of the fastest stangs out there and he does alot of testing. He helped me with my 9s renagade car. He is also the man that made the pwr pipe . If the pipe worked the best on our cars he would sell it. I also believe the more pwr these cars make the more restricted they can become and that you don't want a pipe in the fender holding you back? GOOD Luck

Last edited:

FlashSVT

Established Member
Here's what works for me: DenseCharger "in fender" pipe with K&N in the down position, mated to the stock airbox by way of a surgically altered silencer tube. No filter in airbox(just the orange rubber seal) & screening material removed from stock MAF gasket/seal thingy. Looks stock, no stalls, & same boost level as full DC setup.
Slick idea!

Users who are viewing this thread