Dead battery, now SES light on

BennyBoy

Established Member
So car's running fine yesterday, go to a buddy's house, came out and battery is dead (Old battery, time for a new one). Jump it off and the Service Engine Soon light is on. Car seems to be running fine but not sure what's up. Gonna take the battery in to be checked and get a new if need be. I guess the light will reset while its unplugged right? Think low voltage is causing the light?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
So car's running fine yesterday, go to a buddy's house, came out and battery is dead (Old battery, time for a new one). Jump it off and the Service Engine Soon light is on. Car seems to be running fine but not sure what's up. Gonna take the battery in to be checked and get a new if need be. I guess the light will reset while its unplugged right? Think low voltage is causing the light?

I predict a new alternator may be in your future.

BennyBoy

Established Member
I thought the same thing. It's just weird that the car runs good, normal voltage, no battery light. Just dead battery, then the SES. Haven't seen if the car is dead again today but either way, I'm gonna pull the battery and get it checked and replaced if need be. The light should reset with it out and I'll see if it returns. Thanks man.

Mystic03

Established Member
I thought the same thing. It's just weird that the car runs good, normal voltage, no battery light. Just dead battery, then the SES. Haven't seen if the car is dead again today but either way, I'm gonna pull the battery and get it checked and replaced if need be. The light should reset with it out and I'll see if it returns. Thanks man.

get a volt meter see if its 14v while car is running should be 13.5 or higher that will tell you if alt isnt charging the battery and when its off see what voltage its at

FastlaneParts

Established Member
My battery is in the trunk, should I check the volts at the battery or at the lead under the hood?

Just check the voltage at the battery posts. Check without the car running (after it has been sitting for awhile) and with the car idling. Obviously, resting voltage should be 12ish, charging (idling) voltage should be 14ish.

I wouldn't ring the "new alternator" bell just yet, during the winter batteries can crap out in a second. Plus you already said it is an older battery. Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread