dd with prostars???

1997cobrasvt

Established Member
I was wondering how the prostar setup would handle around town. I dont daily drive my car but sometimes I get in the mood and drive if for a few days or a week around town. Do any of you guys have expirience with how they are on the street and how they are on the highway with the skiinniiesss? Dont do to much highway driving either but would like it to be usable all around! I think our sn95 look awsome withh skiinies up front and big tires in the rear. Thanks guys.

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
I've daily driven my old Mach and my old Cobra with Pro Stars and Telstars. It really isn't that bad as long as you use some sense; give yourself more room between you and the car infront of you since the contact patch of the front tires is reduced, don't go ripping around corners, etc. It will actually ride better due to the increased sidewall, but if you have to make any quick maneuvers your hands will be full. Tramlining will be reduced compared to some big wide front tires and it will be easier to turn the wheel with the smaller contact patch. In the Cobra I tried to swerve to avoid nailing an armadillo and I turned the wheel, hit the armadillo, THEN the car turned. I drove the car from TN to TX and back quite a few times with the skinnies though and the armadillo was the biggest problem I had.

deadpres

everyday is caturday
Established Member
you definately have to change the way you drive. i did it with no swaybar, skinnies, 4cyl springs ,90/10s for about 6 months. just like anything else you get used to it

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
I would rather dodge a 10yr old boy in the road then gain an extra .3 in the 60ft times. It's the street for christ's sake, not a race track. Weekend I think is fine, but not a half DD.

allgo90

Established Member
im going to run my rear prostars on the street but only mount the fronts for the track.

davidj5491

Established Member
I would rather dodge a 10yr old boy in the road then gain an extra .3 in the 60ft times. It's the street for christ's sake, not a race track. Weekend I think is fine, but not a half DD.

Give me a break. Have you ever driven one of these cars on fats and skinnies? It's not that bad at all. I can assure you that my Cobra on skinnies is still much safer than a large percentage of the POS beaters out there. I've daily driven mine for over 2 years on Prostars and not had a single bit of trouble.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
I've driven my car with drag radials in back and no front sway bar, and it was the worst experience ever. Felt like the car was going to roll over on ever turn.

I would take my brothers POS beater 1994 cavalier than my mustang with big and littles.

tomustang

Returning Video Tapes
Established Member
Give me a break. Have you ever driven one of these cars on fats and skinnies? It's not that bad at all. I can assure you that my Cobra on skinnies is still much safer than a large percentage of the POS beaters out there. I've daily driven mine for over 2 years on Prostars and not had a single bit of trouble.

You don't have to, pure basic logic dictates:

Skinnier front tire = Less braking tread patch.

Driving around in front heavy car with tiny tires, think about it

davidj5491

Established Member
You don't have to, pure basic logic dictates:

Skinnier front tire = Less braking tread patch.

Driving around in front heavy car with tiny tires, think about it

You don't have to??? Well I'm glad you can base MY driving experience off of YOUR SPECULATION. Unless you've driven a car with skinnies then you have no idea what you're talking about. Of course you have to allow a bit more time to brake, but it's not like the damn thing will go into a 100ft slide every time you touch the brake pedal.

My94GT

Established Member
You don't have to??? Well I'm glad you can base MY driving experience off of YOUR SPECULATION. Unless you've driven a car with skinnies then you have no idea what you're talking about. Of course you have to allow a bit more time to brake, but it's not like the damn thing will go into a 100ft slide every time you touch the brake pedal.

why so defensive???? hes right it does take more for the car to stop and you have to go slower through turns...ect.

and yea i drove for months on welds, i put my 17s back on and it was instantly a whole different car agin

davidj5491

Established Member
why so defensive???? hes right it does take more for the car to stop and you have to go slower through turns...ect.

and yea i drove for months on welds, i put my 17s back on and it was instantly a whole different car agin

Because I hate it when people start confusing truth with speculation. I did agree that you have use more caution, but some people act like you'll instantly die or kill someone else because you have skinnies on the front, and that's simply not true. As I also said before, I've been on Prostars for over 2 years now as a DD, and have had no problems whatsoever.

tomustang

Returning Video Tapes
Established Member
Because I hate it when people start confusing truth with speculation. I did agree that you have use more caution, but some people act like you'll instantly die or kill someone else because you have skinnies on the front, and that's simply not true. As I also said before, I've been on Prostars for over 2 years now as a DD, and have had no problems whatsoever.

And you're calling it speculation....

It's fact, and you agree on it.

My94GT

Established Member

yea but its kind of pointless to ride around on them, they simply arent as safe as normal wheels.

19mustang95

Wants another Mystic
Established Member

if you have to go slower in turns with skinnies than with regular street tires, you are going way over the speed limit. i drove my cobra for months with eibach drag springs, lakewood shock/struts, and telstars and it drove fine. If you are in a place where you would need to "dodge a 10 year old" you shouldn't be going very fast in the first place. Or maybe outside of Florida little children run around on the highway.:shrug:

and does no one know what most mustangs come with for stock tires???? 205s!

Last edited:

95StangRC

Established Member
I've drive my 95 GT on the street all the time with skinnies. Although I run a 15x4 wheel with a 185/65/15 tire so it isn't quite as bad as your typical 3.5 inch wheel with 165's. I drove it 2 hours away to a car show on the turnpike and had no problems at all and drive it around town all the time. It really isn't too bad stopping for me either as the SN brakes are much better than fox brakes. I can say for sure that my SN95 with skinnies is much more comfortable to drive/stop with skinnies than my friend's stock braked notch with skinnies.

Users who are viewing this thread