Days away From solid axle swap...

bouncer18

Established Member
couple questions i havent scene answered yet....

a) anyone cut stock GT springs... tryin to get an idea on how much i need to cut rather then installing, lowering, lifting, cutting, lowering, ligting, cutting again..etc... or should i not cut them at all (running Kenne Brown up front so it is lowered about an inch up front)

b) anyone used the Cobra catback but cut it at the mufflers and run dumps w/out turndowns? I cant justify wasting time and money on tubing to turn them downfor a few days.. With a chambered muffler (mac flowpath) is it overly loud or is it bearable for a few days (need to order a new one.. )

c) people talk of changing the pinion snub .. is it required or whats hte purpose.. (i think i am getting a GT driveshaft so maybe i am worrying about this for nothing)

d) For the drag racers out there... KYB or Tokico or Coil Overs What seems the best shock setup to use...

ok im done with 20 questions... (YES I HAVE READ THE BLUE/RED PILL but im looking for opinion of others as well eventho his was very well written)

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
A)
i got adjustable lower control arms to match up to my steeda fronts.

D) i went with the mustang bullet rear springs with no isolators on the adjustable lowers.

J

slo-ryd

SCT Certified
Established Member
I cut one full coil off the stock GT springs.

Dumps with chambered mufflers will motivate you to get something else ordered quick.

You don't have a pinion snubber now, you'll need the one off the GT as well as the driveshaft itself. The snubber is basically a bump stop for the axle housing. the IRS pumpkin is stationary and doesn't require one.

I have the KYB adjustables and like them.

Also, be sure to get the e-brake/abs wire brackets for the lower control arms.

Dingleweed

Grower of dingleberries
Established Member
bouncer18 said:
couple questions i havent scene answered yet....

b) anyone used the Cobra catback but cut it at the mufflers and run dumps w/out turndowns? I cant justify wasting time and money on tubing to turn them downfor a few days.. With a chambered muffler (mac flowpath) is it overly loud or is it bearable for a few days (need to order a new one.. )
The Cobra catback's hangers are part of the IRS subframe. So, without the IRS in there, there will be nothing to hold the mufflers off of dragging the ground.

bouncer18 said:
c) people talk of changing the pinion snub .. is it required or whats hte purpose.. (i think i am getting a GT driveshaft so maybe i am worrying about this for nothing)

You will need the pinion snub from a GT. It's purpose is to prevent the pinion/pumpkin from slamming into the underbody if you completely bottom out the suspension. As slo-ryd said, it is a bump-stop.

Items to be sure tht you get off of the donor car, or from the dealer:
1. pinion snub
2. GT exhaust hangers and brackets
3. complete axle from disc brake w/caliper to disc brake w/caliper (with brake lines up to the body mount.)
4. ABS sensors and wiring all the way up to the clips under the back seat
5. shocks and springs
6. upper and lower control arms
7. new bolts for the upper and lower control arms (chances are the ones from the donor car won't come out easily and will be corroded)

Your driveshaft will work with the GT solid axle. It is a little shorter, but there will still be plenty of contact between the yoke and the tailshaft of the tranny. I'm soon going to be ordering an aluminum one for a GT. I was also able to keep my original rotors, calipers, and brake lines becuase I switched with a 97 Cobra that was built for the same size rotors.

*Edit* Oh, yeah, and you'll need some kind of a catback for a solid axle. (It's a little loud without a catback ;-) )

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread