Datalogged my car, what does it mean

Sick_Mustang

Established Member
It's a Bama tune isn't it? Same scenario With every Bama log I've seen.....

I would do another log though. Did you let off and get back in it? Do a 3rd gear from 2k to redline, start the log just before you do it and make sure the log has started recording.

Btw my Bama tune was seeing 30 degrees and was seeing +6 knock, this was on 3 different tanks of gas. I even went to two brand new shells and filled up......same thing. Nothing Bama did changed it.

Went AED and never looked back, FWIW I got an AED tune on the same tank of gas I had knock with the Bama tune, no knock with AED.

Last edited:

fightermatt

Established Member
So those logs are a 91 tune with you running 93? Yeah something is really wrong. I would send those logs to your tuner ASAP and have him pull some timing. I'm not expert by any means but seeing knock that high its not a good sign. Maybe its just really crap gas. Buy a can of torco and see if that helps the knock subside. But again, I wouldn't feel comfortable driving a car that is seeing that much knock. Maybe someone with more knowledge about reading logs can chime in but from what I am seeing it needs to be tweaked.

Yeah that's a 91 tune with 93 gas, if that looks bed then it's a good thing I only romp on it every single time I leave the house, could be a lot worse.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Looks like bad gas and even though its seeing knock it is commanding more timing then I would like to see. You could add some torco and relog and then check.

125oh

Established Member
Measured afr looks to be 0.84 lambda which is good . Timing is 25* that's about right . Only thing I can see wrong is the 2.75 degrees of timing being pulled , which in my opinion isn't a whole lot . I would prob guess the fuel just isn't very good . Op did you log short term fuel trims ?

fightermatt

Established Member
Measured afr looks to be 0.84 lambda which is good . Timing is 25* that's about right . Only thing I can see wrong is the 2.75 degrees of timing being pulled , which in my opinion isn't a whole lot . I would prob guess the fuel just isn't very good . Op did you log short term fuel trims ?

yes I did, I logged it exactly like I was told to by the tuner, let it idle for a few minutes, 5 min of normal driving, 2-3 WOT pulls. I did the pulls through 2nd and 3rd (I didn't know if there was supposed to be a gear change in there or not). When this tank gets almost empty I'll fill up at the other station with ethanol free 93 and log it then put in some torco and log it again, if you guys don't mind lookin at all those logs.

Sick_Mustang

Established Member
I see your log in the knock area shows -3 and also +6, neither do which are on the screen shot. Which tells me it happened elsewhere in the log.

Just do a 3rd gear pull from 2k-redline, it will provide a much clearer picture for everyone....

fightermatt

Established Member
I see your log in the knock area shows -3 and also +6, neither do which are on the screen shot. Which tells me it happened elsewhere in the log.

Just do a 3rd gear pull from 2k-redline, it will provide a much clearer picture for everyone....

Will do, but I will say I searched the log for the +6 and found it where it looks like I was cruising out of my neighborhood at like 1700 rpms?

dead man walkin

Established Member
Correct me if I'm wrong. . Even stock these cars use the sensor to read the fuel then add timing till it hears a knock then pulls timing? Ford left the max timing open to 60 something (even though it will never hit that... ever) so finding a single knock event in a wot pull for less than 3 degrees is nothing. From what I understand this engine uses the sensors to find the upper value of the fuel. If it was a bad tune commanding 30 degrees it would constantly be pulling timing , that's all the chart would show. If you are running your car to the limit , or close you will find the limit of your fuel, or if you are certain your tune is perfect let's disable your knock sensor and spend a day at the track. I haven't tried torco but I imagine a 4th gear run to redline will even produce a knock.

4VFTW

Established Member
27* is what I see on my 93 tune, but your seeing alot of postive knock whereas as I see only negative.

Last edited:

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Negative knock sensor value is pulling timing for our cars.

Other way around. Negative values in the knock sensor are the degrees of timing being added. Positive values are the measured amounts of knock.

2rbo97svt

Established Member
good thread here, I am having the same problem with a BAMA tune. Going in 2 weeks to get it tune by BBR in Fl. I only see the positi e knock when WOT so I wont be beating on the car till I get it tuned.

AMWill

yes I did, I logged it exactly like I was told to by the tuner, let it idle for a few minutes, 5 min of normal driving, 2-3 WOT pulls. I did the pulls through 2nd and 3rd (I didn't know if there was supposed to be a gear change in there or not). When this tank gets almost empty I'll fill up at the other station with ethanol free 93 and log it then put in some torco and log it again, if you guys don't mind lookin at all those logs.

Hey fightermatt,

I just checked in with the Bama Team on your datalogs. They said they've already taken a look, made a few adjustments, and emailed you new tunes this morning. Also, they've requested a new set of datalogs when you have the chance. Let me know when you've had a chance to give the latest tunes a shot!

On another tune- have you been ethanol free 93 octane in the past and during this posted? If you have, please let me know and I'll inform the Bama Team. It's important to use just E10 93octane or only ethanol free 93octane. Mixing them is going to through off the Air/Fuel mixture and what the tune is calibrated for. IMO, I would stick with just E10 93octane, as it's more readily available, the cooling effect of ethanol is a plus, and it's what the Bama Team originally tunes for.

Also, do not add torco to your fuel until after you get everything worked out with Bama. We don't we to manipulate the results of your datalog because of a hidden variable.

I'm sure these new tunes will have everything straightened out for you though. Keep me updated when you have a chance to try them!

Shane

good thread here, I am having the same problem with a BAMA tune. Going in 2 weeks to get it tune by BBR in Fl. I only see the positi e knock when WOT so I wont be beating on the car till I get it tuned.

2rbo97svt,

If you're having any issues with your tunes, I'd be more than happy to get you in touch with the Bama Team. They'll gladly work with you to get your tunes situated and cleaned up.

Send me a PM with your First/Last name and shipping address and I'll get things rolling!

Shane

04compgt

Established Member
The reason your car is picking up knock like it shows on that log, if you look at the log it is clearly picking up the knock when he slams the gear as you can see the rpm drop. I have seen this in many cases and it is the knock sensors picking up the drivetrain shock (phantom knock), if you look at the rpm graph and the knock sensor graph, you will see the knock sensor spike as soon as the rpm drops from the shift (drivetrain shock). If you do a 3rd gear pull and let off at the end of the rpm it will tell a better story whether it is knocking or not. Many stick cars do this between gears depending on the strategy code. I have seen it many times, your tuner will be able to resolve that issue.

Last edited:

fightermatt

Established Member
Thanks AMShaneLesky, I didn't check my email before i left the house today or I would have loaded the new tunes, but I did leave the house and did a 3rd gear pull like Smm suggested, I'll go ahead and post it for those of you watching this thread, and they are much clearer. As for the fuel I use, I always use E free 93 because of the problem Ethanol has caused with the fuel system in my bike and lawnmower. I will load the new tune and datalog it tomorrow and email them back to you guys at AM, I'll post them here for everyone following as well. Thanks to everyone for their help or input, anything anybody wants to see let me know, I'm trying to learn as much as I can

Here is the 3rd gear pull from today, same tune, same gas E free 93.
RPM
DL2RPM_zps83001713.gif

AFR
DL2AFR_zps74fa04a4.gif

Spark
DL2Spark_zpsfa7fb6de.gif

Knock
DL2Knock_zps9744d939.gif

All
DL2All_zps2408e000.gif

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
So it's adding 6° of timing the ought the entire RPM range, while your commanded looks to be around 23-24°. Don't you then add those up getting 29° of timing?

Joey8

Established Member
The reason your car is picking up knock like it shows on that log, if you look at the log it is clearly picking up the knock when he slams the gear as you can see the rpm drop. I have seen this in many cases and it is the knock sensors picking up the drivetrain shock (phantom knock), if you look at the rpm graph and the knock sensor graph, you will see the knock sensor spike as soon as the rpm drops from the shift (drivetrain shock). If you do a 3rd gear pull and let off at the end of the rpm it will tell a better story whether it is knocking or not. Many stick cars do this between gears depending on the strategy code. I have seen it many times, your tuner will be able to resolve that issue.

Idk what you see, but what I see is knock between 4-6 throughout the pull all the way up to redline....:shrug:

DIRTYD- its the opposites it PULLING timing. If you saw negative knock that it would be ADDING timing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread