Datalog Question

vladSVT

KB FTW
Established Member
I am going to datalog my car here soon (its going lean past 4k) can't find the problem.

What is the absolute best parameters to log for this? Volts, FPDC, volt at the pump, MAF? Any other values? I have a wideband so I am not going to log A/F since I know its going to go lean.

Also whats the best way to log this? Do a slow pull to 4500 or 5k or rapid pull? Do I let out right away when it goes lean/buckles? Or hold it for alittle bit to let the SCT record the data (Of course I want to let out right away lol lean is not fun but last time my SCT didnt log it fast enough because I immediately let out). I also already did quiet a few pulls past 4K trying to figure it out and I'm afraid of doing anymore not to blow the car up. Maybe there is something I can do to avoid doing these pulls, like check the pumps first to make sure there working, (I have 3 walbros I know there on since there loud but could be one of them is taking a crap, how to test these?) I already changed the fuel filter.

This might be a stupid question but can you log fuel pressure or anything about injectors? Let's say if the fuel pressure drops can you log it on the SCT x2 handheld?

My setup is:
Triple 255s External
Aeromotive FPR
Bosch 105s
E85
2.9 whipple.
Thanks

Last edited:

itSSlow98

Established Member
How lean are we talking? If its lean tot he point of breaking up you need to add fuel before you do anything else.

vladSVT

KB FTW
Established Member
How lean are we talking? If its lean tot he point of breaking up you need to add fuel before you do anything else.

Yep it breaks up and pretty much "hits a wall".
Basically A/F goes around 14 or so
The thing is I had it on the dyno three months ago, it was doing the same thing, it was a clogged filter. We pulled it out put a new one in, it was running great (breaking abit up top but due to plug gap) 11.2 flat throughout RPMs, so the tune is good. I changed plugs and lowered gap, car ran like an animal for 2 pulls.
Then it started doing the same shit again, going lean, but this time the filter is clean. So I am wondering if maybe one of my pumps took a dump since the filter was dirty, the pumps work extra hard to pump fuel? But still is weird since it ran great for two pulls then all of a sudden started going lean..

Last time I logged my voltage it was good, but maybe my alternator is starting to take a dump now.

Last edited:

watman02

Established Member
boost/vac leak? have u checked the plugs? melted straps? any codes?
i would monitor the maf frps the wideban map sensor ignition timing iat . if u can also check fuel pressure with a gauge to see if u are running out of fuel.

vladSVT

KB FTW
Established Member
boost/vac leak? have u checked the plugs? melted straps? any codes?
i would monitor the maf frps the wideban map sensor ignition timing iat . if u can also check fuel pressure with a gauge to see if u are running out of fuel.

No leaks I have a boost/vac gauge.
Haven't checked the plugs yet, but I don't think I need to they have less than 20 miles or about 4 pulls total.

No codes

vladSVT

KB FTW
Established Member
^that dosnt mean it couldnt have burnt and electrode off.

Gotcha, will check plugs asap. Probably going to go back to TR6s anyway, since these BR7s suck at cold starst and abit more rough idle then my tr6s were.
And damn it I hope the plugs are good!:whine:

Last edited:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Download LiveLink and datalog Injector Duty Cycle, and Pressure Drop Across the Injectors.

One basic thing to check first would be the fuel filter to make sure it is not the culprit.

RacerXHG

13mm or 1/2in???
Established Member
Just for chits and giggles, setup a config file with pids for alternator, battery voltage and misfires on all 8 coils. A coil not firing properly will show as lean since the O2 will read all the oxy going through.

Here's an example:

Misfire.jpg

Last edited:

vladSVT

KB FTW
Established Member
Checked my plugs, they look good and no signs of detonation.
They looked very good so I cleaned them and decided to leave the same BR7EFs for now

Download LiveLink and datalog Injector Duty Cycle, and Pressure Drop Across the Injectors.

One basic thing to check first would be the fuel filter to make sure it is not the culprit.

Fuel filter was checked, and I changed it just for the hell of it (it was pretty clean). Before the car did the same thing was leaning out and it was the fuel filter, but then I changed it and it ran great for a few pulls, then started doing the same thing (I thought its the filter again but the filter is clean this time).

Just for chits and giggles, setup a config file with pids for alternator, battery voltage and misfires on all 8 coils. A coil not firing properly will show as lean since the O2 will read all the oxy going through.

Here's an example:

Misfire.jpg

I don't have O2s on my car (all are deleted) I am guessing this won't work?
I was wondering about this (coil issues) if I have bad coil will it cause the car to go lean or rich? I have no misfires at idle that I know of, but at WOT maybe the coil is taking a dump.
I heard an easy way to check is to pull the coil individually until the idle doesn't change, then you know its a bad coil?

BTW One of my boots is loose (it doesn't clip one like the rest and kinda sits loose) and inside the boot the coil spring (or whatever its called that spark plug snaps into is loose, it doesnt really snap on the plug as the rest). I am wondering if this can cause an issue at higher RPMS maybe a coil isn't getting enough juice since the coil spring isn't tight on the plug

Last edited:

RacerXHG

13mm or 1/2in???
Established Member
It doesn't matter if you have O2s when you're looking at a possible coil/voltage issue. If you get a misfire, it will show as lean! You won't see it in the plugs if it's happening up top. My coils were fine until I got into heavy boost/rpms. Turned out to be 4 coils failing. I found them by datalogging with those pids. 8 new coils and she ran like a top! Hell, what's it going to cost you to datalog? ;-)

Last edited:

watman02

Established Member
I don't have O2s on my car (all are deleted) I am guessing this won't work?
I was wondering about this (coil issues) if I have bad coil will it cause the car to go lean or rich? I have no misfires at idle that I know of, but at WOT maybe the coil is taking a dump.
I heard an easy way to check is to pull the coil individually until the idle doesn't change, then you know its a bad coil?

BTW One of my boots is loose (it doesn't clip one like the rest and kinda sits loose) and inside the boot the coil spring (or whatever its called that spark plug snaps into is loose, it doesnt really snap on the plug as the rest). I am wondering if this can cause an issue at higher RPMS maybe a coil isn't getting enough juice since the coil spring isn't tight on the plug

why would u delete all the o2's????

do you have any codes that would prove a misfire???
download livelink as stated above and data log the above parameters.

this would be a good start.

vladSVT

KB FTW
Established Member
It doesn't matter if you have O2s when you're looking at a possible coil/voltage issue. If you get a misfire, it will show as lean! You won't see it in the plugs if it's happening up top. My coils were fine until I got into heavy boost/rpms. Turned out to be 4 coils failing. I found them by datalogging with those pids. 8 new coils and she ran like a top! Hell, what's it going to cost you to datalog? ;-)

Interesting, will definitely keep this in mind! Thanks

why would u delete all the o2's????

do you have any codes that would prove a misfire???
download livelink as stated above and data log the above parameters.

this would be a good start.

No codes related to misfire. Just regular codes that I had before (gas cap and NO O2 code related).
I bought the car with O2s deleted, didn't delete them myself lol
I will log the car this weekend and post up what I find

RacerXHG

13mm or 1/2in???
Established Member
I had zero codes thrown. I saw loss of power and was going lean on my buddy's dyno. I do all my own tuning, street, track and dyno. He saw what was going on and told me to log for misfires. He has thousands of dynos under his belt, he was dead on.

vladSVT

KB FTW
Established Member
Misfire cyl 5 ? Is that pretty accurate indicator that I have a misfire?
This is at idle parked not in load
2cc428.jpg

Last edited:

RacerXHG

13mm or 1/2in???
Established Member
YUP! You have a bad coil on cylinder number 5! I would either replace them all, I think Tousley has them or swap out that one and run her again. You may find more. Mine never skipped a beat until getting into high load/boost.

P.S. Replace them ALL! I just noticed cylinder number three missed a couple beats. You should have zeros across the board no matter what load/rpm.

M-12029-4V
http://tousleyfordparts.com/partloc...iteid=214771&categoryID=120040&subcat1=120331

Last edited:

vladSVT

KB FTW
Established Member
Thanks man! I hope this fixes my issue, so yours was doing the same thing? Its funny too the car hits a wall at 4500rpms smells like its lean (and shows on wideband that its going lean), yet the plugs look as if nothing happened.
I just want to make sure its the coils so I know I won't waste the money you know (Money is tight these days lol)

Btw I swapped coils 5 and 6 around to see if the miss would happen in cyl 6 and logged it again and cyl 5 misfire was present (still? so its not the coil?), that lead me thinking it could be possible injector? even something in the head (I sure as hell hope not) or maybe all of my coils are starting to take a shit.
I might replace the coils just for peace of mind though, since I am not sure how old these ones are..

Users who are viewing this thread