data logged aed drag tune

GT915

Established Member
I recently data logged my AED lope tune with Amoco 93 octane and it really looked bad. The knock sensors showed up to 3.5 and it retarded the timing to where it was less than 20 degrees for the entire run. I added a can of torco to the same tank, drove it 70 miles and relogged. This time it was better but showed some knock (up to +2) and spark advance showed 20-22 degrees. I parked the car, loaded the drag tune and relogged immediately. This time the knock value stayed negative for the entire run and I saw as much as 26 degrees of spark advance. I am surprised at the results. I thought the only difference between the lope and performance tune was below 1100 rpm and that stepping up to the drag tune only disabled all the traction control, advance track and abs. When this tank is empty, I'll relog with no torco and see if the drag tune shows knock and retards the timing. Hopefully it won't. Sorry this is so long. I know a lot of folks here run an AED tune and I thought I'd share.

125oh

Established Member
I don't know much about lope tune but Shaun tuned mine on 91 and got 27* out of it . Only knock activity was 4* added . I think you might want to try some diff fuel . What's your measured air fuel at on wot ?

GT915

Established Member
would assume you contacted the tuner before making this thread
No i just completed the logs last night and posted the thread. i'll email him this morning and see what has to say. I'll post his response.

I don't know much about lope tune but Shaun tuned mine on 91 and got 27* out of it . Only knock activity was 4* added . I think you might want to try some diff fuel . What's your measured air fuel at on wot ?
My measured air fuel at wot throttle was .82-.83 on both the lope and the drag tune.

Cashbum

Established Member
So you are saying he disabled or "de-sensitized" the knock sensor reading for the drag tune? I can understand that. When we tune a lightning on a drag tune we disable any timing retard because in theory for our drag tunes the truck is supposed to be run on c16 and have a reservoir full of ice so our downstream temps don't rocket up. I would think if you run a drag tune on your coyote that your uppIng your octane to definitely deter any knock to expect the most performance on your run. That's just my thinking though. As for the other nannies being on or off on your drag tune idk lol

GT915

Established Member
I don't want anyone to think this thread is meant to bash or to complain. I posted a thread (http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-2014-mustangs-354/935105-sucks.html) some months ago about all I had to go through just to get logs good enough for Shaun to agree to tune my car. I was then, and still am today, very pleased with my choice to go with AED to get my car tuned. God only knows what would have happened if I'd have gone with some other tuner that required no logs and just wanted the money. I am just sharing what I have found.

nonliberal

Established Member
I think before I posted a my tune sucks thread, I would have shared the results with my tuner first so he could get to the bottom of it. Or at least keep my tuner anonymous until he can address the issue.

GT915

Established Member
So you are saying he disabled or "de-sensitized" the knock sensor reading for the drag tune? I can understand that. When we tune a lightning on a drag tune we disable any timing retard because in theory for our drag tunes the truck is supposed to be run on c16 and have a reservoir full of ice so our downstream temps don't rocket up. I would think if you run a drag tune on your coyote that your uppIng your octane to definitely deter any knock to expect the most performance on your run. That's just my thinking though. As for the other nannies being on or off on your drag tune idk lol
No I don't think he disabled the knock sensors. I remember him saying on the phone before he tuned it that he would never do that because it isn't safe. I don't know what the difference is between the two. I probably should have logged the performance tune instead of the drag tune. I don't believe that his drag tune requires any kind of race fuel. I understood it was the same as the performance tune, only with all the nannies disabled. I'll say this though, it sure felt noticeably stronger with drag tune. Maybe it's just in my head though.

GT915

Established Member
I think before I posted a my tune sucks thread, I would have shared the results with my tuner first so he could get to the bottom of it. Or at least keep my tuner anonymous until he can address the issue.
Dammit, I knew someone would start this. Did you not read the thread above? THIS IS NOT A COMPLAINT!!!! I was just sharing an oberservation. I thought that's what this site was all about.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
I did not read this as a bash thread, I do not know where all these people are getting the bashing from. Your just posting an observation. Im sure shaun will clear any confusion up.

Shaun@AED

Adaptive knock.
ECU learns the shit fuel. Changing tunes likely cleared these learned values or it simply took a few WOT runs for the ECU to learn the fuel was better.

Knock strategy is not changed on the drag tune.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
The drag and performance tunes are the same, with the only exception being all traction control and other nannies are disabled in the drag version.

OP, when is the last time you have removed the spark plugs from this car for a visual and gap check? If you have never done that, let's get together and do it. We live in the same town.

would assume you contacted the tuner before making this thread

The tuner is not at fault, it's something wrong with OP's car. I have Shaun's tune on my 2014. Not once in any datalog has knock retard been an issue.

Last edited:

GT915

Established Member
Adaptive knock.
ECU learns the shit fuel. Changing tunes likely cleared these learned values or it simply took a few WOT runs for the ECU to learn the fuel was better.

Knock strategy is not changed on the drag tune.
Thanks for your input. I guess you can now disregard the email I sent you this morning. Would I be correct to assume some cars are more sensative to "shit fuel" than others? Unleashed Beast lives in my area and doesn't have these issues. Also, in order to not risk hurting my car, is it advisable for me to never beat on it unless I am running torco, or will the ecu pull enought timing to keep it safe? Sure wish E85 was prevalent here...this would all be a non issue.

nonliberal

Established Member
Dammit, I knew someone would start this. Did you not read the thread above? THIS IS NOT A COMPLAINT!!!! I was just sharing an oberservation. I thought that's what this site was all about.

Actually no, I started typing my post before yours was up. However, I still think it's good business practice to keep things private until it appears that it is not being addressed, then go public.

If he spent all his time chasing threads around the forum he wouldn't have time to tune cars. You hired him to tune it, so give him first crack at any issues you think you have.

Not bashing you, just an observation from what I see a lot on the forum with all the tuners.

Shaun@AED

It's impossible for me to determine remotely.
All I can see is knock activity with the fuel you use and no knock activity when octane is raised.

Users who are viewing this thread