Dash Vin Question

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
So a buddy bought an out of state project car and it's missing its dash and naturally the that Vin tag.

Didn't even occur to him that it might be a problem getting it titled and registered.

What's the SOP for such a situation? Get a tag made? Run it with no dash tag? Won't the DMV throw a shit fit?

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Depending on the year, there are vin #s stamped on multiple spots on the car. There is usually one stamped on the firewall or the inner fender frame.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Depending on the year, there are vin #s stamped on multiple spots on the car. There is usually one stamped on the firewall or the inner fender frame.
Correct, vehicle has all of those readily viable, just no dash.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
If the title is not a salvage title, I don't see where the DMV would know the difference. It's not like they go out in the parking lot and check. If it is a salvage title and needs inspection, I would think that the inspector would know to look in other spots.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
If the title is not a salvage title, I don't see where the DMV would know the difference. It's not like they go out in the parking lot and check . If it is a salvage title and needs inspection, I would think that the inspector would know to look in other spots.

They do though.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If you have the VIN stamped somewhere else on the car, can't you get a replacement plate for the dash? I found a site that says you can get a replacement VIN tag if you can show proof that you need one (ie. a missing dash?). How to Get a New Vin Plate for a Car

Here's a snipit from that link.
"Contact your local State Department of Motor Vehicle's (DMV) office for specific instructions on what is required to replace the VIN. You will likely be required to have an inspection of the vehicle by a police officer or DMV official to verify that the VIN plate was destroyed. Take all the recorded information with you when you go to the DMV."

Users who are viewing this thread