Daily Driving with aftermarket cams / monoblade?

CV355

_
Established Member
I'm running the Bullet Cams "Lethal Grind" NSRs. No monoblade though- after all I read on those I decided to avoid them. Granted, I don't daily the car, but I only use it for commuting anyways since I'm a shut in and hate being in public. The driveability has not suffered at all with the cams and tune. The tune actually made it much friendlier than stock form- much better low-throttle responsiveness instead of the "nothing... nothing... nothing... 3k!!!" when trying to be quiet in the morning.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I'm running the Bullet Cams "Lethal Grind" NSRs. No monoblade though- after all I read on those I decided to avoid them. Granted, I don't daily the car, but I only use it for commuting anyways since I'm a shut in and hate being in public. The driveability has not suffered at all with the cams and tune. The tune actually made it much friendlier than stock form- much better low-throttle responsiveness instead of the "nothing... nothing... nothing... 3k!!!" when trying to be quiet in the morning.
I've ridden in your car. Very well mannered.

Sent from a non multiquoting device at svtperformance.com mobile app

Streetpwr281

Established Member

How many miles on your car? How many w the cams? Wondering if the stock valvesprings will operate trouble free for extended miles w the NSR cams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CV355

_
Established Member
How many miles on your car? How many w the cams? Wondering if the stock valvesprings will operate trouble free for extended miles w the NSR cams.

Just cracked 17k. Bought it at 15k. Cams in at 16k. I know, not a lot of miles.

From what I was told, and the research I did before buying cams, the stock valvesprings are A-ok with NSR cams for DD use. For track use, I was advised to upgrade the tensioner pin from 6mm to 8mm. You don't need to remove the heads to do it, but you do have to strip down the front of the engine to expose the tensioner. It also requires a jig for drilling and reaming out the hole. The shear strength difference between a 6mm and 8mm pin is impressive.

Streetpwr281

Established Member
Almost pushed the button on 227/230 duration .465”/.450” Lethal Grind NSR cams yesterday w Labor Day 10% off sale. Had them in my cart!!!

Bearbo

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Almost pushed the button on 227/230 duration .465”/.450” Lethal Grind NSR cams yesterday w Labor Day 10% off sale. Had them in my cart!!!

You started that cam thread last December. Figured you already purchased a cam. Almost talked me into it. Glad I didn’t see the sale.

Streetpwr281

Established Member
You started that cam thread last December. Figured you already purchased a cam. Almost talked me into it. Glad I didn’t see the sale.

The cam sickness is contagious!! I went Gen 3 Whipple instead this past Spring. The extra 50rwhp was fun for awhile. But it’s still not that cool lopey idle of cams.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Just cracked 17k. Bought it at 15k. Cams in at 16k. I know, not a lot of miles.

From what I was told, and the research I did before buying cams, the stock valvesprings are A-ok with NSR cams for DD use. For track use, I was advised to upgrade the tensioner pin from 6mm to 8mm. You don't need to remove the heads to do it, but you do have to strip down the front of the engine to expose the tensioner. It also requires a jig for drilling and reaming out the hole. The shear strength difference between a 6mm and 8mm pin is impressive.
Just so everyone is aware, the jig you want is from Cobra Engineering:

Cobra Engineering LLC

Now, getting upgraded pivot pins installed is a lot easier when you have the engine out for an upgrade. But its completely possible to do this in your garage with the proper tools and this jig.

You are absolutely correct. The pin size is nothing short of pathetic from the factory, and a MAJOR reason why you should never run an aftermarket 2 step launch controller if you havent upgraded the timing system. You Trinity boys have that fancy factory launch controller which works on a different principle.

Id consider these pins to be just as critical as upgraded billet oil pump gears and billet cranks gears. Id even go so far as to say that billet primary chain guides are a necessary addition too.

James over at Cobra Engineering makes a good set of pins to go along with his jig. Accufab also manufactures an extremely robust set of pins and they're coated as well. I picked up a set of accufabs, and will be looking to pick up this jig soon.

boduke0220

Established Member
Good Info in here! I think I will Pick up the Lethal grinds on their Cyber Monday deals along with a few other things

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
Oh Crap........was considering porting or upgrading my Trinity but want to stay on 93 octane.
I have been a bit concerned about the OPG. Now...you guys have corrupted for cams. my shop is working on the estimate. RBB sent you a PM !

qachargh

Established Member
The throttle body really isn't an issue unless you tend to put the car in gear off idle and let it roll around on its own. Then it will get a little herky jerky at parking lot speeds. But Lund has the tuning for the KB monoblade pretty much perfected.

The driveability issue I attribute to my L&M cams is how much easier it is to stall the car and the increased revs required to get it moving. Obviously lower gears would alleviate that issue to some degree. It just makes stop and go traffic a pain in the ass.

As for E85, you are your own worst enemy. Even if it is plentiful where you live, as soon as you think about blasting off in search of decent roads you will probably find it isn't as prevalent as you think. I'm pretty much restricted to one quadrant of my city unless I plan ahead to make lengthy detours to fill up repeatedly. I did it because there is no way my car would run safely on 93. But in retrospect I probably should have forgone the upper pulley so I can run pump gas.

Users who are viewing this thread