Daily Driving a Cobra in New England?

03snakenvtn

Established Member
Hey guys, my gf might be getting a really good job in Boston, and I'm wondering if it's possible to daily drive a Mustang (03 Cobra) in the Boston/New England area. I've lived in Tennessee the entire time I've owned the car, so snow hasn't been much of an issue. I know New England gets tons of snow, but I'm sure their snow removal is also pretty impressive as well. I've got the typical pullied 450 rwhp Cobra and would be sick if I had to sell it. If she's making enough money we'll try and keep the Cobra and get some kind of suv to daily drive, but money hasn't been discussed in much detail yet. Any info would be appreciated as I've never lived north of southern Indiana, and have been living in Tennessee for over 2 years now.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
the only thing that comes to mind is RUSTTTTTTT. >_<

But I don't know how New England is with that stuff.

pick up a cheap DD. That's what I just did.

BrianP

Established Member
in all honesty, the snow removal is pretty UN-impressive. But i daily drive the GT with out issue. but i'd recommend a cheap beater or cheap 4x4 for the winter

You'll be ok in the New England area. I leave my Cobra out in the rain, snow and sleet. No rust issues or luster lost on the paint sheen. Mother nature isn't that bad to these cars.

jtm

now more boost included
Established Member
i wouldnt drive mine or any mustang in the snow. youll be off the road or stuck before you know it. get a cheap all wheel or front wheel drive car. my driving of the cobra in the snow was limited to pulling it out of the garage to move it to another bay. i had all i could do just to get it back in on level ground.took about 10 tries. i know it has performance tires, not snows, but i would never consider taking it on the road in snow.

03snakenvtn

Established Member
I suppose if she gets the job a cheap dd is in my future. The Cobra has seen snow once and it was appallingly bad. Ok that pretty much made up my mind. Thanks for the quick replies guys.

ff500

Established Member
Where in Boston is she getting the job offer? I was born and raised in Boston, some winters we get no snow and others we get buried.

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
I suppose if she gets the job a cheap dd is in my future. The Cobra has seen snow once and it was appallingly bad. Ok that pretty much made up my mind. Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Without dedicated snow tires, I wouldn't do it. Honestly, I would buy a 96-01 Explorer with the 5.0/AWD combo and use that. It's horrible on gas, but they're dead reliable.

Rob, do you need me to come put some miles on her?

:lol: Chris you might as well. Its been sitting in the driveway since Aug '09 getting hit by the elements. And this way you would get a chance to see what a fast Cobra really feels like. :poke: :lol1:

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
Without dedicated snow tires, I wouldn't do it. Honestly, I would buy a 96-01 Explorer with the 5.0/AWD combo and use that. It's horrible on gas, but they're dead reliable.

I did pretty much that.. but went with a 4.0 SOHC/4x4 combo, since with 4x4 you can get low range on the transfer case, where with the AWD you can't.

My2003Mach1

Established Member
My 2 Cent ..... Point no one mentioned was the fact that with snow comes salted roads... this will beat the underside of your stang up..... next pot holes will beat your wheels up in the winter (at least in the summer they are patched or roads get repaved) next TRY to garage your stang ( not trying to pick on another SVT poster) but No winter weather is good for ANY SVT/ or well maintained Mustang, if you want it to be nice, keep it parked, stored and DO NOT TAKE IT OUT FOR ANY REASON from mid fall to late spring when the roads are clear...
Also, NON mustang owners, ( people in parking lots particularly ) don't care what ya got specially here in N.E. so if you must go to the store, park it far away, don't bring it anywhere it could get damaged in any way...
I do not bring my stang to the bank , or walmart,HD, Lowes nothing like that! THREE words.. ASSHOLES WITH CARTS! LOL
Good luck in the N.E. area...... BTW get yourself AAA lol your going to use it !

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Lived in Upstate NY all my life.....DO NOT drive a high hp rear drive car in winter. STORE IT!! If you can't afford 2 cars then just get a nice daily that will work all year round. You can get a way with putting it away in late November/Early December most years and getting her out in late March/early April most years.

Last edited:

cobra22psi

GOD LIKE!
Established Member
i wouldnt drive mine or any mustang in the snow. youll be off the road or stuck before you know it. get a cheap all wheel or front wheel drive car. my driving of the cobra in the snow was limited to pulling it out of the garage to move it to another bay. i had all i could do just to get it back in on level ground.took about 10 tries. i know it has performance tires, not snows, but i would never consider taking it on the road in snow.

:lol:
Your picture is of your cobra on the snow.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
You could drive it in the winter... But I honestly dont think its worth it. You're going to have to buy good snow tires for it and put weight in the trunk. You could buy a cheap 4wd truck and use that for the winter. Its not fun driving these cars around in the winter. I DD every F-body I owned year round prior to my SS (they were all worth 1/4 the value) and the winter will beat them up.

If you have the opportunity to get a winter beater, I strongly recommend doing it!

Nautilusvt

Converted
Established Member
You could drive your Cobra up here in the winter... you could also walk to work in the summer wearing ice skates. :-D Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Mine gets parked from November through March.

Dr. Gonzo

We're in Bat Country
Established Member
Premium Member
Since you very rarely drive in snow I would highly recommend NOT driving a 450hp RWD car in New England winters even with snow tires. Put the Cobra in hibernation and drive a cheap beater.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've lived in New England (CT) most of my life. Trust me, you DO NOT want to drive a Terminator here during the winter months. Road clearing is spotty with some areas better than others. But when you get a lot of snow, slippery conditions are a way of life up here. I used to put my '03 Cobra in my garage around mid-December and it stayed there until late March/early April. I'd recommend find a cheap DD for the winter months.

Users who are viewing this thread