Daily driver?

Hoghead5150

Ok, going to buy me another car here in the next month or so. It will be used as my daily car, and this time I'm going to get something fun. I've narrowed it down to the 03-04 cobra, 07-09 gt500, or the 00-04 z06. Since I'm mostly retired (back injury) my daily drive is only to take the kid to and from school, so around 8 miles a day. I'm looking for a fun, power car that I can tinker with. I used to rebuild old hotrods but back problems have stopped most of that.

So question is- termi, gt500, z06? Budget is $20-25k, which would be the better driver?

mfrazier2

Engineers lead the way!
Established Member
Anything but the Cobra as a daily. I honestly dont like when people daily drive these cars. They're getting more and more rare, especially with low miles. And if you're hauling kids back and forth to school it cant be good on it lol. Buy you a good GT mustang or even the Z06 like you were saying. Just my opinion though;-)

03slaminator

Established Member
Anything but the Cobra as a daily. I honestly dont like when people daily drive these cars. They're getting more and more rare, especially with low miles. And if you're hauling kids back and forth to school it cant be good on it lol. Buy you a good GT mustang or even the Z06 like you were saying. Just my opinion though;-)

I disagree, I would go with the 03-04 or the 07-09. Not a z06. Don't get me wrong. I love z06's. But wouldn't be very practical to take kids back and forth to school in. (No back seats)

And kids arnt good on any cars interior. My son is 2 1/2 years old and my back seat doesn't have a single stain on it. I just don't let him eat and drink in my car. Lol unless it's long trips then I put a blanket down.

Yes these cars are getting more rare, but who cares! If you want one or buy one then drive it... That's what cars are for right? I don't see how anyone can own a 03/04 cobra and just let the thing sit in a garage. I make excuses to run into town just to drive my cobra haha. But to each their own I guess. Op if I were you just get what you want, don't worry about how many miles you put on it or how many mods you buy for it. Your buying the car for you, not any of us. Also, wait for the right one and check it good for any issues. I made the mistake and bought the first one I ran across and had multiple issues. Sometimes it's better to spend more then less. I learned that the hard way. But in the end I'm sure you will make the right decision on what you want and you will be happy with whatever you divide to go with!! Good luck and post back when you make the buy!! Even if it's a z06.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I wouldn't get a Z06 especially since it's a two seater if it's a D.D. and you have a kid. I'd say 07-09 GT500. More creature comforts for a D.D.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'd spring a few more grand and get a 2011 GT500.

Zemedici

Established Member
Cars are meant to be driven. Period.

That being said, I daily drove my cobra for 2 years. And it lost its 'fun factor' to me, due to the fact I was in it every day for hours at a time. Everyone would go 'oh shit you have a terminator' and I'd go 'yeah' and shrug my shoulders. It was my dream car since I saw one at 10 years old, and once I bought it and drove it daily it slowly turned into 'just a car'

So be mindful of that. It's the same way with my 15 now, to me it's just a car.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Cobra is a very reliable car.

20mpg

every kid that has been in our car grew up wanting it

is there snow in your area..these arent a winter ride

and kinda scary in the rain depending on tires

RichM1983

Established Member
Id get a clunker and a Cobra. A GT500 is $30K+ and a great Cobra can be had for $20K. I'd get the Cobra and a $10K daily. For $10k you could get a decent vehicle.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Id get a clunker and a Cobra. A GT500 is $30K+ and a great Cobra can be had for $20K. I'd get the Cobra and a $10K daily. For $10k you could get a decent vehicle.

You can 07-09 GT500's for 25k and up now easily 25-30k for a decent one.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
since this was your first and only post, you had the right idea posting it in terminator talk... i vote terminator!!

Hoghead5150

Thanks guys. I'm 45 years old, my daughter is 14. So back seat isn't really necessary. My wife has a mazda cx9 awd so bad weather is taken care of, and I also have a 2012 jeep 4x4. The jeep sucks and I hate it, so I'm looking for something to drive. Remember I usually out around 1200 miles a year on a car! My last "fun" car was my 1967 vw bug. I've had 21 volkswagens. This 67 put 203hp to the tires, ran 7.70 eighth mile. One before that was turbo, put 480hp to tires and ran 5.30 8th mile.

I guess what I was wondering is how the termi handles daily use. Supercharger problems from in town driving, clutch issues from start/stop driving, and such. My wife's old 07 mustang was comfortable but even being a 6 cylinder it seemed heavy and bulky to drive. Afraid the gt500's would be the same (grandma's old car with a big engine).

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Out of the ones I listed I would definitely get the GT500 for a DD. The Terminators are great cars but they creak, rattle, and I dont think they are the most comfortable out of the cars you listed. I had a 04 Z06 for a DD back in 2007 and loved it. Only downside is that its not the easiest car to get in and out of and space is obviously limited, it was a blast to drive though. The GT500 has great power and is by far the most comfortable out of the three. Only downside is trying to find one in your price range.

BladeX10

Established Member
I would have no problem daily driving a terminator. There is a woman who daily drives a Terminator local to me so there are no excuses lol.

blk02edge

Established Member
the gt500 is the clear winner for driving around town. Hydraulic clutch, smooth, quiet and still very tinker friendly. I would never DD my cobra just because of how firm and noisy they are. The young guys will disagree but I know once you get older those creature comforts become more desirable.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
Not so young guy here. I daily drive my Cobra. Of the cars listed - I'd at least get one with the back seat so you could take your whole family should the desire arise to take the "Fun Car" somewhere.

I will admit the manual transmission can be a pain is stop and go traffic. I have made the car my own and do find myself wanting the a few more creature comforts as the years have rolled by.

FWIW - I take my 3 kids to school most days. The Cobra is often an eye catcher in the drop off line.

JuStAkId

Just roll with it
Established Member
If you are looking for a daily driver I would look into a 2011 mustang gt. The Newer 5.0s are great daily drivers. Very comfortable/quiet on the freeway but plenty of power to have some fun with.

As much as I love My cobra I could not daily drive it for many of reasons (none related to dependability)
If you can afford a newer gt500 thats your best bet imo
and the vett I'd stay away from. Only 2 seats and they are low. Have fun trying to get in and out of that a bunch of times

Been daily driving the Termie for years now, in all weather except snow. Modded tastefully and with top of the line all season tires, it will be the most fun dd you can get into. Mine is quite safe in rain. The major hassle with this car though is that it attracts a lot of attention. Cops, speed racers doing crazy flybys along side, curious seekers creeping on the car when you leave it parked somewhere. And of course, some have unfortunately had their rides vandalized by envious people. So take that into consideration.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I don't daily mine, but I have had weeks where I drove it to work all week. That's usually when the kids are out of school. Friend of mine uses his as a daily and says sometimes he wishes he had an auto. I think the clutch has a lot to do with that though. I have the RXT and it's pretty easy in traffic.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Thanks guys. I'm 45 years old, my daughter is 14. So back seat isn't really necessary. My wife has a mazda cx9 awd so bad weather is taken care of, and I also have a 2012 jeep 4x4. The jeep sucks and I hate it, so I'm looking for something to drive. Remember I usually out around 1200 miles a year on a car! My last "fun" car was my 1967 vw bug. I've had 21 volkswagens. This 67 put 203hp to the tires, ran 7.70 eighth mile. One before that was turbo, put 480hp to tires and ran 5.30 8th mile.

I guess what I was wondering is how the termi handles daily use. Supercharger problems from in town driving, clutch issues from start/stop driving, and such. My wife's old 07 mustang was comfortable but even being a 6 cylinder it seemed heavy and bulky to drive. Afraid the gt500's would be the same (grandma's old car with a big engine).

Ours stock with just exhaust.

Oem clutch just changed at 365k

plugs last 100k easy

no oil leaks..smoke

had your basics over the years..alt starter.watet pump

My new clutch is ford replacement and pedal feels like hydrolic

I have no issues with stop/go.

As to work on engine..easy..can change plugs from a chair..

Bty have you had to chance to drive 1 yet..

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
I'm with him and the very reason I've decided to keep mine rather than sell it for a Cobra. My dilemma is I still have about a year to pay off my 2012 5.0 but I want a Terminator so bad it's killing me. If I sold my current car I could get one, but it's the perfect DD. I have the indestructable 6r80 transmission with a 93 octane Race Tune, OR X pipe and CAI. It's no slouch and is really easy to drive. Even thought it's not the smartest financial move, I'm going to wait until this car is paid off and then buy a Terminator b/c I want to make it run on E85 and run a higher hp set up. I know that wasn't a choice of a DD but he's right, a 2011+ 5.0 automatic is a fantastic DD. With a tune it turns that transmission into a beast too. Easy fun at the strip if you want too.

Users who are viewing this thread