Daily Driver Ideas

JMoraru

Established Member
I'm getting fed up with how much I spend monthly in gas ($400++) and get 13-17mpg(usually on the lower side). Not to mention driving my car in traffic is a pain in the ass.

My first idea was get a cheap(ish) daily that gets really get MPG. However, I think it would take a while for the car to pay for itself. I also dont know how I like the idea of driving a cheaper car most of the time and driving the stang on occasion, which i have been DDing for 6 years now.

My other idea was to get rid of the stang for a DD....probably a sedan for more room and my daughter. I was thinking of staying below $30k if I were to do this, but I am having trouble finding anything good on gas that I wont get bored with after a few months. Dont get me wrong, I dont expect it to be as fast as the mustang(450+rwhp), but I want something that isnt bland either.

So, any ideas? What cars are fun for enthusiasts, but decent on gas? I test drove a certified 335i sedan and really liked it, but its pushing the budget and not really saving me any money. I wont touch one without the warranty.

Some cars look good like the 2013 Fusion or new Passat, but i feel like i would hate a slow FWD car after a short time.

Last edited:

mysterio

Established Member
Focus ST. It's got 4 doors, a hatch for storage space, and is fun as hell to drive, especially when in the boost. I'm averaging 24.3 mpg, in summer with a/c, and most of that is around town driving.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
sonata turbo or optima turbo. 270+hp, manual option and 4 big doors....

or

buick regal turbo with the brembo's, manual and 2.0L turbo 270+hp car.

Sick03Vert

Banned
sonata turbo or optima turbo. 270+hp, manual option and 4 big doors....

or

buick regal turbo with the brembo's, manual and 2.0L turbo 270+hp car.

Sonata is the 10th most complained about car in America right now. It's a Hyundai, and they fall apart. I work at a GM/Hyundai dealership and they are in the shop all the time.

The Regal GS turbo is a nice car, but don't buy that thing. You are looking at $35k for a new GS, and $27k for a regular turbo.

Honestly, if I was going to get a four door car, I'd chase an Evo. :rockon:

MachJoe

Established Member
4 door GTI or GLI, WRX, STI, EVO... all of which can be tuned to go faster. The SHO would be bad ass too though.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Sonata is the 10th most complained about car in America right now. It's a Hyundai, and they fall apart. I work at a GM/Hyundai dealership and they are in the shop all the time.

Which cars get the most safety complaints?

Ford is #9 on that list. Those are the stupidest lists of all time. I still don't understand why people even look at them as the top auto companies are all on it.

I own a Hyundai(its an elantra so not the cream of the crop) and while the interior has seen better days(was left with all 4windows and sunroof open during hurricane Isabel), it still is one of the best daily driven cars I have ever had. Easily tops 36mpg even when "beating the ever living shit out of it" and is much more comfortable than my brothers 2009 civic si sedan. Its the reason Hyundai is on the up & up with consumers.

and of course you suggest the evo. no warranty, a glass transmission and gas mileage that is non existant if you wanna get frisky with the right pedal. :bored: why buy used when you can buy new and with a warranty.

Last edited:

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
If you want performance with a sedan you are still going to suffer with bad MPG. Ya, you might get better than 17MPG but it isn't going to much better. If you get something turbo'd you're going to have to use premium. I average 22-24mpg with some occasional boosting everyday. I drive 100 miles to work and home. The best I've done was 28MPG by staying off boost completely for 50 miles and driving 70mph on the highway. However, you feel robbed driving like that.

Either you want to save money on gas or you don't. You should just spend 5k on a DD and keep the stang for cruising.

Last edited:

JMoraru

Established Member
I'd get a 13 Fusion.

They look great. I guess my main concern is that I couldn't do both an my fear that I will regret selling my car for it.

I do want something with good mpg, but it doesn't have to be 30+. I'm just sick of looking at the gas bill on my statements.

fctrywrkr

5.SL0
Established Member
i bought a 97 camry for $400, needed a oil pump seal and timing belt replacement, did it all at once and cost me $100 for a kit with all seals, water pump, belt, tensioner, etc. i got about $550 in the car total. but i do the work myself. has cruise, a/c works, heat works, power windows and gets 32mpg on regular gas. was DDing my 5.0... 22mpg avg and 93 octane. i did the math and this beater will pay for itself in ~6 months, saving me about $20/wk. i drive 80 miles a day at least 4 days a week (40 miles one way to work). if it blows up, ill take it to the pick n pull junkyard, get $350 for it, and buy something else :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread