Daily driver for under $5000

wcjr

Established Member
As the title says....I am looking for a good daily driver for under $5000. It doesn’t have to have all the latest gadgets, just a good reliable vehicle to DD.

What do you guys suggest?

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
As the title says....I am looking for a good daily driver for under $5000. It doesn’t have to have all the latest gadgets, just a good reliable vehicle to DD.

What do you guys suggest?

What do you require of it? 4x4, good mileage, ability to haul/tow, size, etc.?

wcjr

Established Member
I wouldnt mind having a truck just because I do need to haul stuff on the rare occasion. It doesnt snow too bad here but a 4x4 or awd would be fine.

I would also like it to get decent gas mileage, 15 mpg or better. Dont really need anything to tow.

Thanks

evil04svtcobra

Established Member
i have a 2000 vw jetta tdi... 235,000 miles and counting. 50+ on the interstate.

i love hearing the turbo and its the only daily driver that i've had that makes me smile ever time i fill it up. i enjoy driving the car, which is odd when you compair it to the car in my garage! lol.

Phallen

Trackday Junkie
Established Member
My '99 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 2WD has been absolutely bullet proof.

Keep in mind, this is a vehicle that has been optimized for 20 years with the same basic I6 motor, later w/ FI and other stuff.

Other than a leaky exhaust manifold (which was recalled and should have been replaced), my 170k mile Cherokee has been doing everything great. With regular oil changes, seafoam every 20k miles, and the sparkplug gap mod, if I keep my foot out of it I average 20 mpg.

I've also towed a 6x12 uhaul trailer with 4 motorcycles in it, no problem. It won't haul ass up the hill w/ a trailer, but it'll move just fine.

Edit - However, stay the hell away from Grand Cherokee's. Nothing but problems.

Last edited:

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Do you ever need more than one passenger? If not, A Ford Ranger would probably be right up your alley.

JasonSnake

Established Member
TBird's=:xpl:

BUT my buddy just junked one last month that he put through hell and back for 6 years and the damn thing held together until it died one windy Thursday morning. :lol1:

Stock they look boring. But once you do a few things like lowering springs and wheels, they can look like this: (I plan on getting these wheels, btw)

Bullitts-Earl_on_TCCOA.JPG

R1der

SVT Vet
Established Member
94-97 accord they are awesome and they had the good transmission in 98 they changed it and it sucked

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
OP, you've only stated that you want descent gas mileage. That leaves a world of options open

upside

AWD V8
Established Member
i have a 2000 vw jetta tdi... 235,000 miles and counting. 50+ on the interstate.

i love hearing the turbo and its the only daily driver that i've had that makes me smile ever time i fill it up. i enjoy driving the car, which is odd when you compair it to the car in my garage! lol.

I vote tdi, I wish I would have went for a tdi, hell my car even wants to be a diesel because its blowin smoke every time i build boost. :(

but yeah a tdi with some coilovers and a nice set of bbs wheels cant be beat.

wcjr

Established Member
I am going to have to stick away from anything that has a VW in the grille. My girlfriend has an 04 jetta 1.8t and it has been nothing but a headache.

SNCBOOM- Not every often it is usually just one passenger, but I still would like to have something that would haul 4 people if needed.

wcjr

Established Member
94-97 accord they are awesome and they had the good transmission in 98 they changed it and it sucked

I have actually been looking at some accord's. Some really good deals can be found on those cars if you look around. I found a 97 accord lx with 108k miles for $2500.00

Users who are viewing this thread