Daily drive a full size bronco?

upside

AWD V8
Established Member
I know this is SVTP but I have seen a few broncos in peoples sigs over the years and I would like some unbiased opinions on the subject as well.

Im thinking about buying a FSB after my VW is paid off here in a few short months.

I would sell my vw before or after as I no longer want my gli and bank that money.

I know the fsb's and obs ford trucks rust like crazy so i would probably look down south for a truck, preferably a 96 EB.

I really want an automatic vehicle for a dd. gas mileage Isn't a turn off because I drive 3 miles to work and overall I just want a big, cool suv.

Growing up my dad had three full size broncos over the years, a 79 351m/400, a 95 5.0 xlt and another 95' 351 xlt plow truck. so i have a good idea of what to expect out of these trucks.

But I want your opinions, what do you think about the full size broncos? would you DD one? any pros and cons about these trucks?

and yes I am a member over at fullsizebronco.com

Discuss.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
There is a guy on here..with a marauder too...dammit if I can remember his SN.

I daily a 89 K5 lifted 6 inches on 35's. Go for it.

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
My friend had a 95 or 96 eddie bauer bronco. They have sucky gas mileage obviously, especially the 5.8, but they are sick trucks and you can fit a TON of beer in the center console.:beer:

u n v kenny

Established Member
I love my FSB, but I also just got it a few weeks ago and would never daily drive it. I drive my Accord every day for that very reason of 11 +/- mpg on the Bronco. IMHO, if you get a bronco, don't let it be your only vehicle. I understand you only have a 3 mile trip to work, but God forbid you have to drive far and you wish you had another vehicle.

6eny4ygu.jpg

langod

Cobra: The Anti-hybrid
Established Member
My '88 Bronco w/ 351 Auto -- had it from '90-98 and to 170K miles -- used to get halfway decent mileage for it's size. Until the end anyway. IIRC, mid teens mpg city and up to about 24 highway. Hell there's alot of newer, smaller SUVs that don't get much different.

I think if you find one in good shape, with reasonably low miles, you'll be fine. If you can find a spare tailgate, buy one. You'll need it.

I'm jealous -- I'd love another one, but all the ones up here are either too nice to drive in the winter or are total rust buckets. Getting a southern one would be a waste for me as it would rust out the first time salt hit it.

bluebosss197

im did asbestos i can
Established Member
If Ford would build a new FSB intelligently based on the current F-150 I would buy one the day it came out.

+1 I've been waiting since the Bronco Concept from a few years ago to inspire some sort of production version. But preferably with the body panels from the Raptor!

devin1986

Boosted Grandma-Mobile
Established Member
I've never had one, but I always stare jealously when I see them on the road. There's just something nice about being able to go anywhere and do anything without giving a shit. It's the same reason why I loved my little 2 door, hardtop, 5-speed tracker and my cherokee. Speed really isn't important in those. It's a different kind of fun.

cbr repsol

Established Member
I had one for a dd . While it was a cool truck it killed me on gas and i only drove it to work 50 miles round trip,so i sold it.If you get the older 79 with the 351m you can swap in a 460 since the bellhousing is the same.

Last edited:

ademily87

Established Member
IIRC, mid teens mpg city and up to about 24 highway. Hell there's alot of newer, smaller SUVs that don't get much different.

Hahaha You're thinking of the wrong vehicle there bud Hahaha. A 5.8L fullsize bronco wouldn't get 24mpg downhill with the wind at their back lol Not arguing with ya, but THAT'S a little extreme lol

OP, if you find a decent enough deal on one, I'd say go for it. Comfort, 4x4 capabilities, roomy inside, and who doesn't like broncos? They're tough as nails. Just do like my buddy here and just get one that's professionally rhino lined haha from front bumper to the back bumper!!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
I had a 92 on 33's I DD'd for well over a year. 9mpg but probably one of the most fun vehicles I've had driving around town. My current job is 30 miles each way so it had to go...

Had 220k on it when I sold it and is still running strong last time I saw it.

Users who are viewing this thread