D1SC Coyote maxing out on the dyno

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
I recently rented dyno time from my buddy who runs a GM high performance shop along with remote dyno tuning with Lund Racing.

The car has a built short block, stock heads, e85, boss manifold, d1sc, ect. It put down 825whp and 724wtq on 16.5psi with that combo. I recently had L&M intake cams installed so I wanted to play around on the dyno. Final result was 867whp and 755wtq with the d1sc being at it's max.

The guys at RPM make some great videos and it was nice to see some Ford power for a change. I was hoping for the car to make low 900s but that just didnt pan out today.

Watch "Procharged Mustang Hits the Dyno | RPM S4 E45" on YouTube

Last edited:

Kiohtee

Established Member
Nice, congrats man! And while the video was very well put together, it was about 13 minutes too long for me. I just fast forwarded to the part with your car. Lol

And yes, I have a tolerance and appreciation for GM/non-Ford stuff. Haha

PC03GT

Established Member
I'm sure I'll be seeing the rear of this thing on the way to the AM show this year

Kiohtee

Established Member
Cool video indeed. The Mustang sounds great and made killer power.
I need a cammed car in my life I think. lol

We could help with that Tony....

Quoting Josh so he sees this and can correct me if I'm wrong, but;

Camming a 5.0 is kind of silly. Isn't your car still bone stock tones? A Stage 3 Roush would benefit so much more from a free flowing exhaust and pulley before expensive 5.0 cams. Those are a last resort for those looking to make max NA power/max power on their setup. Don't get me wrong, cams make power on our cars, but not to the extent where the price is justified unless you're already maxed out. Plus it doesn't change the sound anymore.

Zemedici

Established Member

Camming a 5.0 is kind of silly. Isn't your car still bone stock tones? A Stage 3 Roush would benefit so much more from a free flowing exhaust and pulley before expensive 5.0 cams. Those are a last resort for those looking to make max NA power/max power on their setup. Don't get me wrong, cams make power on our cars, but not to the extent where the price is justified unless you're already maxed out. Plus it doesn't change the sound anymore.

Usually yes, but with Tony’s car being FI, a good set of cams that will work well with the blower, and longtubes, will make some good gains on his car, without touching the blower pulley if so desired.

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
Nice, congrats man! And while the video was very well put together, it was about 13 minutes too long for me. I just fast forwarded to the part with your car. Lol

And yes, I have a tolerance and appreciation for GM/non-Ford stuff. Haha
Thanks! I guess I really enjoy their videos because I know them personally.

Rear tire robs some power, it’ll make close to 900 on a street tire ;) nice car
It just about made 900 on STD numbers but that wasn't a true comparison. I'm sure if I dynoed in 5th (mt82's 1:1 ratio) and had some aired up street tires it may have done it. I wanted the best back to back comparison I could get with the previous numbers.

Cool video indeed. The Mustang sounds great and made killer power.
I need a cammed car in my life I think. lol
Thank you sir! While cams are expensive it's something that i'd recommend getting done at the same time as oil pump gears. They are a nice way to pick up some power while reducing boost a tad.

I'm sure I'll be seeing the rear of this thing on the way to the AM show this year
Speaking of AM...We have our normal 4 cars registered. One of us should start a meet up thread soon.

Sooo D1-X time?

Very nice!
That's a possibility. I'm still running the stock sleeves in the block so it really can't make much more power reliably. I'll stop adding power once it hits over 900whp.

Usually yes, but with Tony’s car being FI, a good set of cams that will work well with the blower, and longtubes, will make some good gains on his car, without touching the blower pulley if so desired.
I can agree with that and it will even lower boost some.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member

Yes my car is 100% bone stock, except for clutch pedal extension.
I was actually thinking of a C7 Z06 cammed more so than my car. But, I wouldn't mind my car being cammed as well. lol

bunits19714

Established Member
OP_ Good luck @ Slipstream this weekend- boy they are proud of that 1600' of straight away with a sweeping left turn- I thought the 1/2 mile events I run were slightly pricy, but they sell out(slipstream). East coast baller status.

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
OP_ Good luck @ Slipstream this weekend- boy they are proud of that 1600' of straight away with a sweeping left turn- I thought the 1/2 mile events I run were slightly pricy, but they sell out(slipstream). East coast baller status.
Thanks! Slipstream is actually 1760' this year. The race is geared towards high end cars and renting a Nascar track isnt exactly cheap. Over 50% of the cars racing are above 700whp and only a few of them are mustangs and camaros. Its a tough crowd to play with for sure.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
@slow306stang ... Very nice car and congrats on the numbers.

I haven't watched the video yet but why does it make so much torque? Super impressive torque on a centri for sure.... especially with cams.

Does it have a larger lower (crank) pulley perhaps?

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
@slow306stang ... Very nice car and congrats on the numbers.

I haven't watched the video yet but why does it make so much torque? Super impressive torque on a centri for sure.... especially with cams.

Does it have a larger lower (crank) pulley perhaps?
Thanks! it has an ATI 20% overdrive crank pulley with a 3.55 blower pulley. With a 4.10 step up ratio and 7600rpm engine speed the blower is at 69000rpm. The D1sc is rated for 62000rpm. My Procharger being pullied like this is no different than running too much boost on a small turbo. Great torque numbers but it runs out of steam up top.

D1X is a great blower. I had a D1SC that made 881. Makes over 900 with a not maxed out D1X now.

Really cool to see the D1 working on your car.
You're the reason that I knew my d1sc was maxed out. We both made well over the 925 flywheel HP that the d1sc is rated for. Ive been following your car since the d1x upgrade.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Car is beast dude. Still have that third MAN pedal too.

Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread