D@mn clutch cable!!!!

reef93

EVILNSIDE
Established Member
Well just went a couple of miles down the road to help my dad move a couple of things and went to come home and the clutch cable broke. Broke going up a steep hill no less and couldnt get the car to go into any gear to make it up the rest of the way. So I stop and try to get it to pull off in 3rd...no dice.....ended up starting it in reverse and drove the last couple of miles home.......That really sucked!!!! :cuss: Im through venting now just gotta get a new cable :fm:

reef93

EVILNSIDE
Established Member
Yep...2 miles in reverse. Needless to say the Cobra didnt like that not having any airflow from the front, but I got it home and a new cable will be in tomorrow. It sure is nice having a friend that works for Ford. I got a brand new stock cable for less than 50 bucks(his price) Aftermarket cables are junk. I've now broken 2 Steeda cables, one in my fox and now one in my Cobra.:bash:

divided

Established Member
Sucks man. Happened to me too out of the blue. Although I think it may have had to do with an incorrect firewall adjustment on my part.

Cobreezy

Established Member
Make sure you shim the quadrant to keep it align with the cable, if you have one. I went through 3 cables in two years because my quadrant was moving side to side causing the edges of it to fray the cable. Hope this helps.

reef93

EVILNSIDE
Established Member
Yeah I know now......it was on the car when I bought it. It just sucks since I planned on going to a car show tomorrow. Looks like i'm changing a cable now

divided

Established Member
Make sure you shim the quadrant to keep it align with the cable, if you have one. I went through 3 cables in two years because my quadrant was moving side to side causing the edges of it to fray the cable. Hope this helps.

That could have been what happened to me. It has heavily frayed and only being held together with 2 strands.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
1. Make sure that your quadrant (I am assuming it's an aftermarket quadrant and firewall adjuster) is shimmed on both sides (I use 1/2" washers) so the cable comes straight out of the firewall into the quadrant.

2. Use a buffing wheel on a dremel type tool and soften the inner top edges of the quadrant where the cable drops in. Mine were sharp enough to cut my finger when I first received it. By softening the inner edges, you minimize the chafing that can occur every time you push in the pedal.

Disclaimer, if your cable is breaking farther down the line closer to the transmission, then it's something else. I've seen many broken cables up under the dash for the 2 reasons I noted above though, and they have usually taken care of the problem.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread