Cylinder heads- Would this fix them?

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Not really, a better coolant passage will.

You will fix the existing "tick" but the event will occur again.

moddedmystic

Established Member
You should be able to cure the problem by having hardened valve guides installed,increasing the clearance a little, and using a valve stem seal that allows more oil to get to the valve. Also having a wider seat (.080-.100) would help pull more heat out of the valve. Sodium filled valves would help too, but I'm not sure if any body makes them for our cars.

Cheers, Mark A
:beer:

imswheel

Quality SVT Poster
Established Member
They have been rebuilding aluminum race heads forever - I do not see why these should be different. A nice port job, flow the valves and figure out the best angles, install the best parts, ect.....

I bet someone like Bob Stiegmeier could make these head freak'in rock!

- Paul

FordRacing200

Banned
imswheel said:
They have been rebuilding aluminum race heads forever - I do not see why these should be different. A nice port job, flow the valves and figure out the best angles, install the best parts, ect.....

I bet someone like Bob Stiegmeier could make these head freak'in rock!

- Paul
thats what i was thinking... BTW thanks for the responses! :thumbsup:

WDW MKR

Established Member
Modifying the heads to better withstand the heat does nothing to actually fix the poor coolant flow. Definitely a good idea, though!

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Modded Mystic said:
You should be able to cure the problem by having hardened valve guides installed,increasing the clearance a little, and using a valve stem seal that allows more oil to get to the valve. Also having a wider seat (.080-.100) would help pull more heat out of the valve. Sodium filled valves would help too, but I'm not sure if any body makes them for our cars.

Cheers, Mark A
:beer:

there is your answer right there!!!

Do it on the 2C5Z heads(tick fix w/ better coolant flow and more plug threads) and your even better off

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

WDW MKR

Established Member
FordRacing200 said:
hmmm, ic. Well, onward with the research! someone needs to find a permanent fix to this!

The new heads appear to have fixed it. You could go the extra mile and treat them to the mods listed above.

MikeW

Established Member
Stiegemeier was working on some 03/04 heads best I remember.... Not sure where he is at on them though.

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
Jimmysidecarr said:
there is your answer right there!!!

Do it on the 2C5Z heads(tick fix w/ better coolant flow and more plug threads) and your even better off

:thumbsup:

Every time I see your post that pic of you cracks me up! :poke:

WDW MKR

Established Member
ls1eater said:
How much of a power gain would you see with head work done to the 03/04's.....

Completely depedant on who does the work, what your current combo is, etc. The typically modded Eaton car won't see much at all. That's just the result of an inefficient PD blower combo. Some of the higher-powered TS cars have seen a little better gains. Not really worth the money unless you already have the engine apart.

Users who are viewing this thread