Cylinder head resurfacing question?

goingbyebye

Established Member
I have been researching how much you can take off the 03-04 cylinder heads. I have found a lot of different opinions ranging from ½ the thickness of the head gasket (.020) to .004. I have some pitting in the combustion area and would like it removed. Why can you only take .020 off? I do not know how much will need machined off but I just want to know why there is a limit. Is it because of valve to piston clearance or is it because it will raise the compression or what? Any input is helpful.
Joe

cobra=trouble

Established Member
I have been researching how much you can take off the 03-04 cylinder heads. I have found a lot of different opinions ranging from ½ the thickness of the head gasket (.020) to .004. I have some pitting in the combustion area and would like it removed. Why can you only take .020 off? I do not know how much will need machined off but I just want to know why there is a limit. Is it because of valve to piston clearance or is it because it will raise the compression or what? Any input is helpful.
Joe
each .008 off the head = 0.5 deg retard of cam timing same as block. i would say .010 would be safe limit.JMO

goingbyebye

Established Member
Head question

Thank you for your response. That makes sense. Does anyone have any idea or a line on some used 03-04 cobra heads. I am thinking about just replacing them. I however am not looking to spend 1K. I just need some used and in good condition 03 - 04 heads. I have a 76mm billet precision turbo on the car and already make more power then I could ever use on the street. So I am not looking for more power just a more reliable combination. I think when I had my KB 2.6 I damaged the heads.
Thanks
Joe

Last edited:

cobra=trouble

Established Member
i'am guessing that your cam jornals are toasted ?
i got to get the lastest revised heads for my build. my exhast seat fell out ,
see my build post .

goingbyebye

Established Member
No my heads are fine except for some pitting in the combustion chamber. I just would like to not have the pitting in the combustion chamber. It is near the gasket sealing ring. I mean real close and I don' want to take any chances of blowing head gaskets. I run 18psi on pump with meth so I do beat on the car.
Joe

Quick Strike

Established Member
You can have the pits welded up and then have the heads surfaced (about .003" to true them up). That is what I had done to mine.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I would tread VERY LIGHTLY into the buying used Terminator heads market.

Near every 03/04 head that has been removed from an engine, has been removed from an engine that was hurt.

Most have been hurt by some level of detonation.

Detonation is what pitted your heads.

Proceed with extreme caution.:dw:

cobra=trouble

Established Member
I would tread VERY LIGHTLY into the buying used Terminator heads market.

Near every 03/04 head that has been removed from an engine, has been removed from an engine that was hurt.

Most have been hurt by some level of detonation.

Detonation is what pitted your heads.

Proceed with extreme caution.:dw:
they don't even make for good boat anchors.

Users who are viewing this thread