CVS Caremark Removing Cigarettes From Shelves

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
they clearly state in the article that cigarettes dont belong in the same place where health care is provided. how is that not a legitimate reason to stop selling cigs there? do you want to be able to buy cigs at the hospital and your doctors office too?

My trick eyes must have played tricks on me the times I was in a hospital. Since I clearly missed it, I wasn't aware a hospital also serves as a retail store.

Lets compare apples with apples and not apples to tampons.

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
Shouldn't alcohol, candy bars and potato chips be removed as well under that premise?

i agree that alcohol is bad, but they dont sell it at cvs (at least where i live) so i dont see your point? and are you seriously comparing cigs and boose which are toxic and poisonous to candy and potato chips?

usmc320

Established Member
It is a business, and they are free to do as they please in that regard. If you read the article it anticipates no loss in revenue next year due to increased projections in other areas. Also look at all the press attention they are getting in the process. This is a serious boost to their healthy image, and the only people who are upset are a percentage of smokers (most of whom won't follow through on their threats to never shop at CVS again). Also, I think it is conceivable that in the future they may stop selling junk food and alcohol. This may be a first step in changing their image from the traditional drug store to a health store.

97ReoCobra

Established Member
CVS is wayyyyy overpriced anyway. add $1.00 to $2.00 on anything you need. anything i need from CVS, i get at walmart.

If you're on CVS's email list they often have 30% off with free shipping sales. I don't have a CVS locally but do take advantage of the 30% off sales occasionally. No cigs or booze though. :-D

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
The difference between cigarettes and booze, candy, pop, junk food is the fact that when used in moderation, your liver and exercise can offset damage done. You can eat chocolate all day long, brush your teeth and exercise and stay cavity free and skinny. Caffeine is absolutely addictive (perhaps not like nicotine) but drinking pop controllably isn't going to give you throat cancer. And a couple beers a few times throughout the week can be managed by your liver. Is having a cigar on a special occasion a few times a year going to kill you, probably not any worse than any other smoke you face occasionally (bbq, camp fires, exhaust), but people complaining about this particular situational aren't "one or two smokes a month" type smokers.

You really don't have a way of offsetting the damage done to your lungs. Your liver can handle the occasional beer, its very purpose is removing toxins. Of course in excess, just like with pills, you can damage your liver, but not like the occasional smoke to your lungs.

You drink a beer each night, no big deal. You smoke a couple cigarettes each day and your lungs are getting the blunt damage from it. Do I think people should be free to smoke as long as it doesn't interfere with others? Absolutely, but I don't think cigs and cola belong in the same group of toxins.

CVS can sell what they want to and they can choose to remove from their stores what they want. While its a surprising story, its really not something debatable. It is what it is and it doesn't infringe on your rights. If you're in need of tobacco and the only store nearby is a CVS, too bad...no different than havonv a flat tire and CVS choosing not to sell those types of rubber.

they clearly state in the article that cigarettes dont belong in the same place where health care is provided. how is that not a legitimate reason to stop selling cigs there? do you want to be able to buy cigs at the hospital and your doctors office too?

Shouldn't alcohol, candy bars and potato chips be removed as well under that premise?

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:

Planter

Banned
good for them.

quitting smoking is easier than you think. mind over matter, you dont mind because it doesnt matter. (thats the saying we got in boot camp from our drill sergeants).

quitting is 95% mental. you have to make up your mind, stick to it and avoid tempations, chew a lot of mint gum (not nicotine gum), and drink a lot of water. water is a natural inhibitor of nicotine cravings. when you feel that craving drink a bottle of water, pop in several pieces of gum and find something to do to replace the desired behavior of having a cigarette in your hand and keeping occupied with a task that uses both hands (a hobby lile woodworking, building something, working on a car, painting, or some other project) as it takes your mental focus off the craving and habit and puts it on the task at hand.

Last edited:

NorCal_03Cobra

SVTP Member
Established Member
i agree that alcohol is bad, but they dont sell it at cvs (at least where i live) so i dont see your point? and are you seriously comparing cigs and boose which are toxic and poisonous to candy and potato chips?

Is obesity not a health concern? Depending upon who you ask, some foods are not conducive to a healthy lifestyle.

According to them, removing cigarettes from their shelves is being done to better their customers - "if you're going to be a part of the health care system, how can you continue to sell tobacco products?" Shouldn't the same be said for enabling alcoholism and obesity :shrug:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
good for them.

quitting smoking is easier than you think. mind over matter, you dont mind because it doesnt matter. (thats the saying we got in boot camp from our drill sergeants).

quitting is 95% mental. you have to make up your mind, stick to it and avoid tempations, chew a lot of mint gum (not nicotine gum), and drink a lot of water. water is a natural inhibitor of nicotine cravings. when you feel that craving drink a bottle of water, pop in several pieces of gum and find something to do to replace the desired behavior of having a cigarette in your hand and keeping occupied with a task that uses both hands (a hobby lile woodworking, building something, working on a car, painting, or some other project) as it takes your mental focus off the craving and habit and puts it on the task at hand.

lol @ all of this.

My entire family was full of smokers, I never picked up the habit (smoked a few, never saw the point just a waste of $$$ IMO) but ill be damned, watching each and every one of them quit must have been the hardest thing in their lives to do, many of them relapsed into smoking again only to have to endure the quitting a second time. My father being one of them, he quit after a triple bypass during recovery, and ended up picking it up again half a year later. He just had three stints put in last month and is again quitting due to recovery, but trying to really stay off of it this time. Its ****ing hard bro, mind over matter sounds good and dandy until everything in your mind is telling you to grab smokes, your body feels lethargic because all of a sudden your blood vessels are opening up, it hurts to get out of bed in the morning, etc. The worst is like he says, when you are with a group of smokers and go out every 2hrs for your 15min break or something, and all of a sudden you have to break that habit in itself is hard to do.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
lol @ all of this.

My entire family was full of smokers, I never picked up the habit (smoked a few, never saw the point just a waste of $$$ IMO) but ill be damned, watching each and every one of them quit must have been the hardest thing in their lives to do, many of them relapsed into smoking again only to have to endure the quitting a second time. My father being one of them, he quit after a triple bypass during recovery, and ended up picking it up again half a year later. He just had three stints put in last month and is again quitting due to recovery, but trying to really stay off of it this time. Its ****ing hard bro, mind over matter sounds good and dandy until everything in your mind is telling you to grab smokes, your body feels lethargic because all of a sudden your blood vessels are opening up, it hurts to get out of bed in the morning, etc. The worst is like he says, when you are with a group of smokers and go out every 2hrs for your 15min break or something, and all of a sudden you have to break that habit in itself is hard to do.

Sorry to inform you bro. But Planter has all the answers once again.

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
They should remove condoms because it entices young teens to have sex and gives them a false sense of security against all STDs and pregnancy - not healthy.

They should stop selling pain killers because some people might overdose on them - that's not healthy.

They should stop selling personal hygiene products - new research shows those chemicals are bad for your health.

They should stop providing birth control because it messes with women's hormones and can make girls fat, get acne, and be bitchy - terrible for your health.

I mean, we can down their entire product line and make suggestions on why it should be removed in the name of well being, but what's the point? They never suggested turning their business into an organic, hipster, eco-friendly, tree hugging, corporation - they just decided to stop selling tobacco to better identify the direction of the brand and they're entitled to do so. To go from them improving their brand identity of being health conscience by not selling cigarettes to suggesting the only way to promote that agenda is by removing every product from their shelves that could be labeled even slightly, possibly unhealthy seems overboard.

If they want to cut pop from their shelves next to even further that agenda, so be it...its not my company and its just one less place to buy pop. And if that were the case and I felt adiment there was a demand for a store to take their place in selling pop (or cigarettes in this case) then that my friends is called a profitsble opportunity.

Last edited:

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
lol @ all of this.

It can be tough, but some have stronger will power than others. When you really want quit, you'll quit. Honestly, if a triple bypass and stints don't make you quit, nothing will. I wish your father all the best though, seriously. I smoked for 20 years and have been smoke free for 6 years this past January 1st.

Last edited:

Blackoyote

Established Member
good for them.

I've now been smoke free for 1.5 months...that's big for me. I've attempted a few times to give it up, but my mind wasn't all there. This time around has been easier because I truly wanted to give it up...and large amounts of gum and water were helpful for that first week. Planter's answers are correct!

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
Recently, my grandma was put on oxygen with multiple health issues as a result of smoking. The doctors told my grandpa both he and her must stop smoking. My grandpa, who's had plenty of surgeries and health concerns of his own promised to stop because it realized second hand smoke would be devastating.

Unfortunately, I was still seeing him drive around town alone smoking. Perhaps the scariest part now is that he often passes out spontaneously from lack of oxygen, not cool while driving.

Yesterday, my grand parents house (half of it at least) burned down. My grandma was basically trapped inside because my grandpa cant carry her but rescued by a neighbors when he called them and 911. Fire fighters have reason to believe he was smoking in the garage (where he always used to), passed out and dropped the cigarette, came to and walked in side oblivious he just started a fire.

And guess what he did to cope...bought cigarettes. Hell never learn. He's smoked since was young and us 77 now.

Last edited:

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
quitting is almost all mental. sure, you can have a severe craving but your body isnt going to involuntarily go buy a pack of butts. your brain has to tell it to. i quit because i simply thought to myself "i dont wanna be in my 30s/40s/50s and still be killing myself with cigs." so i quit after 7 years and it was nothing more than mind over matter.

and lets be serious, we're not talking about heroin here. quitting cigs has no consequence except nicotine withdrawal. boo hoo, you cant get your nicotine anymore lol deal with it if you like being alive/healthy.

Last edited:

Planter

Banned
lol @ all of this.

i dont know how you can lol at all that when you arent a smoker. :shrug: you really dont know.

the fact is it works. im proof of that. i also had the added benefit of being sick for 5 days when i quit.

but if your mind isnt up to the task, then you will only fail. sounds like your fam members arent up to the task and arent willing to put their health above their desire for a cigarette. hopefully he can quit and enjoy his last years in better health. :beer:

it took me repeated attempts and failures. but ive kicked it for good this time because one of my triggers is stress and ive had a battleship full of stress the past 8 months trying to find work and i didnt start up again. and thats whats done me in, in the past.

it takes 30 days to make a new habit, it takes 30 days to break an old one.

It can be tough, but some have stronger will power than others. When you really want quit, you'll quit. Honestly, if a triple bypass and stints don't make you quit, nothing will. I wish your father all the best though, seriously. I smoked for 20 years and have been smoke free for 6 years this past January 1st.

yep. :beer:

I've now been smoke free for 1.5 months...that's big for me. I've attempted a few times to give it up, but my mind wasn't all there. This time around has been easier because I truly wanted to give it up...and large amounts of gum and water were helpful for that first week. Planter's answers are correct!

congrats!!! :beer: stick with it! it totally gets better.

o2gt

Established Member
i dont know how you can lol at all that when you arent a smoker. :shrug: you really dont know.

the fact is it works. im proof of that. i also had the added benefit of being sick for 5 days when i quit.

but if your mind isnt up to the task, then you will only fail. sounds like your fam members arent up to the task and arent willing to put their health above their desire for a cigarette. hopefully he can quit and enjoy his last years in better health. :beer:

it took me repeated attempts and failures. but ive kicked it for good this time because one of my triggers is stress and ive had a battleship full of stress the past 8 months trying to find work and i didnt start up again. and thats whats done me in, in the past.

it takes 30 days to make a new habit, it takes 30 days to break an old one.

yep. :beer:

congrats!!! :beer: stick with it! it totally gets better.

How can you say that he cant comment on quitting? when you came into the Hoffman thread and explained things about drug addiction and how we should just kill them all.

o2gt

Established Member
I never said he couldn't comment.

your implication was pretty clear, that he should not comment because he was not a smoker, or that his response hold no weight because he not a smoker.

Last edited:

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Being a smoker, which sucks, this wont help people quit. I dont buy my cigarettes from the same store every week. It depends on where I am when I run out.

Here pretty soon I'm going to try those e cigarettes or whatever and see how they do.

Users who are viewing this thread