CVS Caremark Removing Cigarettes From Shelves

ColorMatched

grayongrayongrayongray
Established Member
Well, just like the drugs people get addicted to, never starting is the best way. Wish I woulda known that about caffeine/energy drinks. Just as bad!

97ReoCobra

Established Member
Saw this on the local news this morning. I'm sure other stores will follow in stopping sales of the number 1 killer in America right now.

CVS to cut sale of tobacco products - WRGB CBS6 - Top Stories

And when does the sale of alcohol stop?
Never heard of a cigarette causing a driver to go the wrong way on the interstate and take out a family of 4 on their way to the park.
Never heard of smoking causing a guy to come home at 1am on Friday night and kick the crap out of his wife because she wasn't cooking supper in a cheerleader outfit.
Judge not, lest ye be judged

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
I highly doubt the corporate officers woke up one morning and decided to make a moral choice regardless of how it affects business.

Rather, you can be rest assured this is part of their strategic business plan with long term, profitable objectives. Its yet to be seen if those objectives will be met, but so far I've heard CVS pharmacy story on the radio 4 times today, saw it in the paper, popped up on my homepage, and obviously is getting people talking.

Is this decision guaranteed to succeed? Who knows...but I would imagine they've forecasted the results and determined its a positive direction for their company and their entitled to run that company as they please.

Publicly traded companies don't just make such decisions without rational purposes and unless they stand to gain something significant from it...they have shareholders to make happy - and typically aligning a moral compass is not the shareholders top priority.

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
Really, is this going to help the smoker's break the habit?

they clearly state in the article that cigarettes dont belong in the same place where health care is provided. how is that not a legitimate reason to stop selling cigs there? do you want to be able to buy cigs at the hospital and your doctors office too?

Eminaga

Banned
Sweet, they need to stop selling them everywhere. I am sick of people walking into the office smelling like they smoked 10 packs in the last hour. Ughhh.

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
And when does the sale of alcohol stop?
Never heard of a cigarette causing a driver to go the wrong way on the interstate and take out a family of 4 on their way to the park.
Never heard of smoking causing a guy to come home at 1am on Friday night and kick the crap out of his wife because she wasn't cooking supper in a cheerleader outfit.
Judge not, lest ye be judged

Thanks for the sermon preacher. :dw:

The facts remain, tobacco kills more people every year than anything else. You cannot spin it or dispute it. Alcohol related deaths include drunk drivers. Alcohol is not much better but it has nothing to do with this.

As far as not having supper ready that is her choice?

image-29.jpg

Coiled03

Established Member
Who cares? Not being a dick to you but according to the heroin thread, it is a choice. Should be no problem to kick according to SVTP. :shrug:

Being a choice, and being easy to accomplish aren't related.

But make no mistake, it IS a choice.

Tx5811

Veni, vidi, vici
Established Member
doesnt bother me much. I usually just stock up on dip in louisiana. I travel there often.

97ReoCobra

Established Member
Thanks for the sermon preacher. :dw:

The facts remain, tobacco kills more people every year than anything else. You cannot spin it or dispute it. Alcohol related deaths include drunk drivers. Alcohol is not much better but it has nothing to do with this.

As far as not having supper ready that is her choice?

http://s72.photobucket.com/user/bigregss/media/image-29.jpg.html

First, I am in no way advocating smoking. But, I think many of the studies and facts about smoking could easily be disputed. Studies designed around a desired endpoint are not valid. Attributing a lung cancer death to smoking even though the person worked with aspestos and painted cars for 40 years is padding the statistics. And alcohol has everything to do with this. People with their noses up in the air criticizing others life style should first look at themselves. When the smoking thing is gone the witch hunters will be looking for the next evil to stomp out. It could be the 3 martini lunch, or the daily bacon cheeseburger. Whatever they don't do and hate that others do it. Telling others how to live their lives is a slippery slope, and it won't end well.

Oh, having supper ready isn't really her choice if she fears getting her face kicked in if it's not ready.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
CVS is wayyyyy overpriced anyway. add $1.00 to $2.00 on anything you need. anything i need from CVS, i get at walmart.

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
First, I am in no way advocating smoking. But, I think many of the studies and facts about smoking could easily be disputed. Studies designed around a desired endpoint are not valid. Attributing a lung cancer death to smoking even though the person worked with aspestos and painted cars for 40 years is padding the statistics. And alcohol has everything to do with this. People with their noses up in the air criticizing others life style should first look at themselves. When the smoking thing is gone the witch hunters will be looking for the next evil to stomp out. It could be the 3 martini lunch, or the daily bacon cheeseburger. Whatever they don't do and hate that others do it. Telling others how to live their lives is a slippery slope, and it won't end well.

Oh, having supper ready isn't really her choice if she fears getting her face kicked in if it's not ready.
I agree and don't feel cigarettes or alcohol should be legal but there is too much tax money involved in it for the Government. I can count on 1 hand how many times I drank last year but people are free to do what they wish as long as it's legal. I don't smoke and never will as it smells disgusting. I was fine with no smoking in public places indoors. I don't advocate banning them but I find it amusing they ban super sized soft drinks in NYC but you can smoke.

I didn't start the thread to voice an opinion, it was more so to relay a news story I saw early this morning. I'm surprised it has taken this long. Health insurance and life insurance is more expensive for smokers for a reason and it only makes sense that a company like CVS not sell cigarettes. That is like Mcdonalds selling home cholesterol tests with every meal.

Last edited:

NorCal_03Cobra

SVTP Member
Established Member
they clearly state in the article that cigarettes dont belong in the same place where health care is provided. how is that not a legitimate reason to stop selling cigs there? do you want to be able to buy cigs at the hospital and your doctors office too?

Shouldn't alcohol, candy bars and potato chips be removed as well under that premise?

Users who are viewing this thread