cutting costs

ESVEETEE

Established Member
Let's talk cutting costs.

In order to maintain our performance addiction and also plan for the future, sometimes it's necessary to cut costs to make both feasible.

What have you done to save money?

Example: switch to an MVNO for your cell phone provider (I'll be doing this soon)

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
^ exactly .
But if I was to script, or cut back on something, it would probably be steak.....not.

Mackey

Established Member
I looked at this problem differently in the past.

Instead of looking ways to cut costs, I looked for a way to earn more money. Whether you start a small side business, start helping out friends for a little cash, or take up some more hours at work, I always saw it as more beneficial than cutting costs.

It has worked for me :)

FIVEHOE

Established Member
Hobbies come last so, nothing.

lol this

Nothing really I could cut down that I haven't done already. I suppose food could always be cut down, but who wants to eat like a freshman in college?

I did what that guy ^ mentioned. I always looked at it like the extra shifts or "bonuses" from work would go towards my mod account / vacation time.

ESVEETEE

Established Member
Hobbies are of course last.

However if i want to maintain certain financial goals (15% of my income in 401k, Roth, etc) and save for my kids college etc on top of paying off my house early and still juggling a hobby, finding ways to do things cheaper is a great help.

I'm not looking to make more money. My income will increase steadily year after year, and my job is stable but requires a lot of time so i can't find a hobby or side business that generates income.

let's stick to the discussion.

I found an MVNO that provides the exact same service sprint provides me, and uses their network, for half the cost. It's a no brainer.

FIVEHOE

Established Member
well the thing is everyone "could" cut costs in some places but those costs aren't worth it to some people, mostly comes down to personal opinion.

For example, I could change my phone carrier and go with someone cheaper and probably save ~30$ a month but then I lose out on my unlimited plan. That extra money saved could easily disappear with 1 over-used phone bill.

The biggest ways to cut costs that you're going to be suggested are things like downsizing cars or housing. Probably not what you are looking for. Doesn't leave too much else that you could cut down on. Food can always be cut down on, especially if you eat out multiple times a week, but really it all comes down to your personal preferences. Most of the places you are going to be cutting down on are going to be from leisurely activities, which again depends on what kind of person you are. Some would rather save than go out at all, others would rather be broke and enjoy going out and having fun. Just depends on what you are willing to sacrifice / wife will allow you to sacrifice for some extra mod money

Last edited:

B0B

Established Member
I just prioritize my "spending money." Everything from car parts, to vacations. Whenever I need to make a larger purchase on something in particular, I hold off on something else. like fishing trips and hunting trips in exchange for a new set of wheels.

I rarely go out to drink. I think its the biggest waste of money to drink at a bar.
Limit how much you eat out.
Shop for clothes at JCPenney or Fred meyer instead of spending $100 on a pair of jeans.
cancel subscriptions you don't use a lot, like magazines, massages, etc
buy groceries that are on sale
don't make impulse purchases
be frugal
break up with girlfriend

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Whenever I start to run low on funds, I raise the life insurance on the woman who will make me a widower again.

Honestly, the best place to save money is on all of the stupid shit that you buy without thinking about it. $4.00 coffee, $6.00 breakfast, $2.00 Danish, $12.00 lunch times 5 days a week times 4 weeks in a month. Little shit adds up.

Last edited:

wht93gted

Established Member
Switched to DirecTV from Comcast.
Dropped my phone and switched to Ooma.
Cut my internet speed down as well.

- This saved me about $100 month.

Bring lunch to work instead of buying everyday. Stopped using those Keurig coffee cups and just make a pot every morning.

Consolidated mine and my wife's banking down, and we charge 100% of purchases on our 1.75% cash back card (with additional purchase rewards). Made OVER $1100 last year in pure cash back.

Not that I really "needed" to save, but analyzing all the money going out and the reasons it was, started to bother me. I took a long look at things and realized the money I was just pissing away, and the free money that was out there to take. It really does add up.

wundrbird

Proud Father
Established Member
Here's a list of all the things I've done to cut costs.

1. Eat only at home, and no takeout. I easily saved $300/month doing this.
2. Check sale papers for grocery specials, especially meat.
3. Drink only water, and drink it out of the freakin' tap. If it tastes crappy, buy a filtering pitcher.
4. Cancel all magazine and paper subscriptions. The internet has most of it.
5. Turn the thermostat up a couple of degrees in summer, down in winter. You'll get used to it.
6. Get rid of cable or satellite service. Haven't had either in over 3 years and don't miss it. Huluplus, Netflix, and a digital antenna are all I'll ever need.
7. Shop around for lower car and home insurance. This one can really show a monthly difference.

4a7191a

Established Member
Don't go out drinking at bars as much as when I was younger. Drink at the house and tinker on the cars or workout at the house instead of the gym. Bike ride as well. Car hangout spots instead of a club is always free , though I always tend to go in for last call ;)

ticopowell

Newish to SVT
Established Member
Various places... CA, UT, OK, been in TX and CO a
I can only reflect what others have said about cutting costs, but a website I have read talks a lot about cutting out unnecessary things. www.mrmoneymustache.com has a lot of ideas like that to save and keep costs down.

I tried going to a MVNO, but the best one I found worked off of sprint and sprint sucks for what I need cell phones for so I jumped on a family plan with Verizon.
I don't buy cable or satellite, just internet that is decent.
I do eat like a college freshman sometimes, but that is because of laziness more than anything, but it does help keep costs down.

Good luck!

ben_gone

Jigsaw
Established Member
Let's talk cutting costs.

In order to maintain our performance addiction and also plan for the future, sometimes it's necessary to cut costs to make both feasible.

What have you done to save money?

Example: switch to an MVNO for your cell phone provider (I'll be doing this soon)

i sell some of my crap when i just cant swing new purchases with the old lady. i've sold guns, car parts, hell even blurays lol.

ben_gone

Jigsaw
Established Member
I just prioritize my "spending money." Everything from car parts, to vacations. Whenever I need to make a larger purchase on something in particular, I hold off on something else. like fishing trips and hunting trips in exchange for a new set of wheels.

I rarely go out to drink. I think its the biggest waste of money to drink at a bar.
Limit how much you eat out.
Shop for clothes at JCPenney or Fred meyer instead of spending $100 on a pair of jeans.
cancel subscriptions you don't use a lot, like magazines, massages, etc
buy groceries that are on sale
don't make impulse purchases
be frugal
break up with girlfriend

if only it was that easy....

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Don't eat out, pack your lunch, eat at home as much as you can, as mentioned above. I bought a vacuum sealer. I Buy chicken and meat in bulk @ Costco and Sam's or my local grocer when it's on sale. You can easily save thousands a year by watching what you eat.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
My wife and I started car-pooling every day since we work together. That reduced our monthly auto fuel expense by about 40%. I also cancelled our lawn care service two years ago and now mow my own lawn. That saved about $160.00 a month; plus I get additional exercise. If I had to start cutting more costs, I'd look at my cable tv plan, reduce dining out, and reduce unnecessary foods.

Users who are viewing this thread