Cutting animal nails

Black0ut

Established Member
Who here cuts their animals nails?

Cats, dogs, birds whatever it may be?

My girlfriend was just cutting the cats nails and the very last nail she cut was a little too deep and it started bleeding profusely. I have a make shift bandage with papertower and medical tape on it right now. Anyone else done this before? We are going out tonight and I'm wondering if I should leave it on there. It stopped bleeding almost right away after it happened, but she went into the other room and licked at it and it started bleeding again. I'm hoping by keeping the bandage on it she won't pick at it and it won't start again.

Any other suggestions?

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
I would take your pet to a vet. But that's just me. Peticure ftw

svt_fan1129

Established Member
I never cut my dogs nails. My dog always runs along the fence so I put some 13x13 cement blocks; It worn down the nails when running on it. in your case, i'd take it to the cet

Stroszek

Goes to 11
Established Member
If you can get the bleeding to stop, it should be ok. You can get some stiptic powder at the vet or the pet store and you'll likely even find it at the pharmacy. Same stuff you would use for shaving knicks though I don't think many people use it for that these days.

Jack32v

Slow Lane..
Established Member
My ex-gf did the same thing with her cat, but being the idiot she is, she just let the cat go. Well after coming home to the carpet stained with blood, she still didn't take it to the vet, the paw ended up getting infected, and a hefty vet bill later, the cat was fixed.... I would get the bleeding stopped FOR SURE before you leave that sucker home alone...

TravisR123

Established Member
this is going to sound stupid but ive heard if you clean it good and dip it in flour it will stop the bleeding many people do this at birth when they snip the tails or so i have heard a few different times... might want to try it. personal experience i have never cut that far back on a nail

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
Does she not know what the wick is? The cat's probably gonna crap on the nearest cobra like the dude in the hurricane thread.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
It may sound stupid,but the Pedi Paws,ya from the infomercial,really works good.It just showed up today(ordered 6wks ago).Anyway I have 2 Pug`s(DEMONS)It really takes the edge off the nails,or you can trim them right down.Good Luck holding on to to Rover:beer:

Zinc03Cobra

Super Trooper
Established Member
it's called the "quick" and if you hit this, call your vet asap.

I usually leave it to the professionals because even if they mess up, there's a vet on hand to handle the situation.

There's a dremel sorta tool out for dog nails.

Black0ut

Established Member
Well the bleeding has stopped. The bandage idea was terrible... it just kept soaking with blood because she kept flailing her leg to try and rip it off (kind of funny to watch actually). I read a little around the net and along with most of the things you guys posted, it said to try and ice cube which was all I really had available and it seems to have worked. Thanks for the tips guys :beer:

slider701

Established Member
You could try locking it in the garage but it might take a sh!t on your Cobra....:)

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=524619

How about a drop of SuperGlue on the tip of it????

Believe it or not SuperGlue is used in the medical profession more than you would think for this kind of stuff and I believe that it was invented by/for the military during WWII or the Korean war for use on the battle field for quick stitching up......

Vigilante

Established Member
my ex-gf did the same thing with her cat, but being the idiot she is, she just let the cat go. Well after coming home to the carpet stained with blood, she still didn't take it to the vet, the paw ended up getting infected, and a hefty vet bill later, the cat was fixed.... I would get the bleeding stopped for sure before you leave that sucker home alone...

+1

darkhorse276

Established Member
my mom accidentally did that to my dogs nail one day, except once the bleeding stopped it was done. she licked it alot but nothing happened. just had to make sure and keep it clean until the nail grew back

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
it's called the "quick" and if you hit this, call your vet asap.

I usually leave it to the professionals because even if they mess up, there's a vet on hand to handle the situation.

There's a dremel sorta tool out for dog nails.

Crazy, I looked and you're technically right but I've heard a ton of people call it the wick haha.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
"If the claw is cut too short, you can use a styptic pencil containing silver nitrate to stop blood flow, although many animal object to this the styptic pencil as much, or more, than claw cutting. The black end of the stick is held to the bleeding nail and gently rotated.

Even without any treatment the nail should stop bleeding in about 5 minutes or less."

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
I cut all my animals nails (2 cats, 2 birds, and Rabbit) Sounds stupid, but it worked for me...... I just used that liquid bandage the one time I got too short with the bird. It's basically superglue. Just clean the nail really well and put some of that one. Stopped the bleeding. But I would agree....keep a close eye on it, and if something looks off a little, take it to the vet. IF you catch it early if will be A LOT cheaper.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread