Custom ordering a car - How do you get a good price?

verbal

Established Member
I want to custom order a new F150 in a few months and am wondering how you negotiate a good price. I would also be trading in a vehicle.

The last few vehicles I have purchased have been well below invoice as i was able to use the strategy of calling around and getting best pricing from dealers. These were cars on their lots however and they were interested in moving them. They were also cars that did not have a lot of options to choose from so it was easy to compare different vehicles at separate dealers.

What incentive does a dealer have for giving you a great deal if they need to order the car for you? For those that have done this, what was your strategy for shopping different dealerships?

oldmodman

Established Member
I used to order all my new Ford's through a friend of mine that was the fleet manager.

he sold me anything I wanted for $250.00 over invoice. And had no problem ordering me whatever weird combination I wanted.

So give you local dealer a call and talk to the fleet sales manager. Even though he is used to selling cars by the bunch he won't mind writing up just one. Moneys, money after all.

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
I used to order all my new Ford's through a friend of mine that was the fleet manager.

he sold me anything I wanted for $250.00 over invoice. And had no problem ordering me whatever weird combination I wanted.

So give you local dealer a call and talk to the fleet sales manager. Even though he is used to selling cars by the bunch he won't mind writing up just one. Moneys, money after all.

Yup, the fleet guy at my work is the one to go to for funky orders. When I bought my Mustang, I dealt directly with the General Manager because that way it cut out him having to pay anyone commission on the sale, so it made it cheaper for me, plus we had the car on the lot. When my mom's Grand Marquis was murdered, she wanted a Fusion to replace it. She did the build a car thing on the Ford page and I took it to the fleet guy at my work and he found one with all of the options she wanted in Little Armenia (Glendale) and I did the dealer trade myself.

Toofer89

Established Member
Take smoking hot SVTP wife with you, almost free vehicle.

+1 haha

I have also been wondering this. Just got out of a short term detailing job at a Nissan dealership and started wondering why anyone would deal with salesmen over ordering their car to their liking. Curious as to how this works

verbal

Established Member
I did a little research yesterday and it seems that you should be able to negotiate to invoice price. Since a dealership gets to keep the full hold back amount on a vehicle that sells the day it is delivered then many dealers would be happy with getting that. It is probably pretty hard to get below invoice. Thanks for the tip on talking to the fleet manager. I don't know if I could handle butting heads with the regular sales guy over something like this.

Gaudin Ford

Established Member
I want to custom order a new F150 in a few months and am wondering how you negotiate a good price. I would also be trading in a vehicle.

The last few vehicles I have purchased have been well below invoice as i was able to use the strategy of calling around and getting best pricing from dealers. These were cars on their lots however and they were interested in moving them. They were also cars that did not have a lot of options to choose from so it was easy to compare different vehicles at separate dealers.

What incentive does a dealer have for giving you a great deal if they need to order the car for you? For those that have done this, what was your strategy for shopping different dealerships?

Hey Verbal
I can help ya! So when you do a Special Order the price is negotiated up front before you even give a deposit to place the order. There is a little bit of a process but it's not bad. Basically we would build the car together, once we do that we build it in the Ford system called concepts. That in turn gives us the actual price of your particular configuration. We then figure out a price that works for both of us, then you are locked into that good price.

If you did it with me, I give you an update every week on your build. Also I have a "special price plan" worked out for members sooo no need to negotiate:)

I'd like for you to place your order with me but I understand if you want to move forward with your local dealer. I can have your Special Ordered F-150 shipped to you directly from Ford for free as well. We're legit:coolman:

blownfox

Established Member
I found a dealership that sells most new fords at $50 over invoice + rebates. I order our Explorer Sport with everything but DVD headrest and buckets 2 row seating for $43,xxx OTD (rebates are normally very good at the end of the year). They even emailed me the invoice which showed the list price of $50,610.00.

GodStang

Established Member
How custom are you looking to get it. In the past we have always emailed all the Dealerships in a 2 or 3 hr radius in one email. (has to be one email so they know you are shopping around) List out exactly what you are looking for and what you are wanting to pay (Has to be within reason). Let them know you are ready to buy now at that price. Has always worked for us. My last car had the local dealership buy the car I wanted from another dealership 3 hrs away and then sell it to me at exactly the price I wanted. Now if it is super custom it may not work.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I would do this in a new york minute .... have a mint 2012 focus titanium hatch fully loaded with 16k miles ...even trade for an ST3? ;-)

Hey Verbal
I can help ya! So when you do a Special Order the price is negotiated up front before you even give a deposit to place the order. There is a little bit of a process but it's not bad. Basically we would build the car together, once we do that we build it in the Ford system called concepts. That in turn gives us the actual price of your particular configuration. We then figure out a price that works for both of us, then you are locked into that good price.

If you did it with me, I give you an update every week on your build. Also I have a "special price plan" worked out for members sooo no need to negotiate:)

I'd like for you to place your order with me but I understand if you want to move forward with your local dealer. I can have your Special Ordered F-150 shipped to you directly from Ford for free as well. We're legit:coolman:

verbal

Established Member
How custom are you looking to get it. In the past we have always emailed all the Dealerships in a 2 or 3 hr radius in one email. (has to be one email so they know you are shopping around) List out exactly what you are looking for and what you are wanting to pay (Has to be within reason). Let them know you are ready to buy now at that price. Has always worked for us. My last car had the local dealership buy the car I wanted from another dealership 3 hrs away and then sell it to me at exactly the price I wanted. Now if it is super custom it may not work.

Building it on the Ford website it has a lot of options I do and do not want. I think it would be pretty hard to find this sitting on a lot in the color I want. I bought my last truck off the lot and compromised on a bunch of things and was always pissed I bought it that way. I would rather just go through the wait of having it built.

bigmoose

Established Member
I ordered my '13 explorer sport at invoice pricing minus rebates. Ended up about 5k under MSRP. Just had a cool sales guy. I would think its easier to get good pricing on a custom order since its no skin off their back.

Gaudin Ford

Established Member
I highly doubt there will be any deals on th 15 f150 for a while

I can do invoice pricing right out of the gate a special order 15 F150. Like I said, no hassle, no Dealership malarky, just a good old car guy that will give you updates on your Special Order every week. Also I can have it shipped to the dealer closest to you for free! No hidden fees.

Sid, the owner of this site, just bought multiple cars from me. He can attest:)

Users who are viewing this thread