Custom driveshaft safety loop

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
I purchased the ford racing loop kit and it wasn't going to work with my prochamber exhaust and/or the T-56(?). My criteria for a custom loop was;
1) No drilling the floor pan
2) Removable without pulling driveshaft
3) Maximum clearance for exhaust

My other 2 options were the Metco kit and the Stiffler's. Not knowing if either was going to fit without modifying the exhaust, I spent $10 on steel and fasteners and fabricated my own.

I bent a piece of steel as a template and transfered it to 2" x 0.25" flat bar. The vertical clearance increase needed was about 2".
DSCF0007-2.jpg

I used my near-worthless harbor freight tubing-kinker to form the upper piece
DSCF0005-3.jpg

I welded a mounting bracket to the subframe connector
DSCF0010-4.jpg

Quick coat of paint and ready to install.
DSCF0015-1.jpg

DSCF0016-3.jpg

The lower bar is about 1/4" below the driveshaft and the Prochamber 'chamber' sits about 1/4" below the bolt heads.
DSCF0020-1.jpg

Last edited:

quad

Established Member
Very interesting. I am surprised a kit like this is not more common. Is this as safe as a traditional one bolted into the floor pan? I am sure those tabs are not going anywhere after being welded in - my only thought is that the anchoring is further from the drive shaft than the commercially available models. If the drive shaft did come loose it would exert more force on the tabs / bolts because of the distance than if the bolts are bolted closer to the drive shaft. But it is probably negligible.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
To prevent the car from pole vaulting from a dropped drive shaft shouldn't that loop be mounted closer to the front of the shaft instead of closer to the rear?

Not much bad can happen when a rear joint or flange breaks, but some really bad things can happen if the front breaks and it digs into the pavement.

If the front of the shaft breaks, drops and digs in, and the car is also going fast enough, it will flip end over end, ENDO!:eek:

Termn8ur

Established Member
To prevent the car from pole vaulting from a dropped drive shaft shouldn't that loop be mounted closer to the front of the shaft instead of closer to the rear?

Not much bad can happen when a rear joint or flange breaks, but some really bad things can happen if the front breaks and it digs into the pavement.

If the front of the shaft breaks, drops and digs in, and the car is also going fast enough, it will flip end over end, ENDO!:eek:

I was thinking the same thing...

quad

Established Member
I will be going with this:

9904mustangdriveshaftsafetyloopStifflersDSLM019904.jpg

Driveshaft Safety Loop 99-04 Mustang

- Exceeds NHRA specs
- Quick, bolt-in installation
- No drilling, No welding, No hassle
- Lightweight! ( 2 pounds less than typical loops)
- Fits automatic and manual transmissions
- Works with aluminum driveshafts
- Powder coated for long life
- Complete with all hardware

Ace5Oh

Established Member
I will be going with this:

9904mustangdriveshaftsafetyloopStifflersDSLM019904.jpg

Driveshaft Safety Loop 99-04 Mustang

- Exceeds NHRA specs
- Quick, bolt-in installation
- No drilling, No welding, No hassle
- Lightweight! ( 2 pounds less than typical loops)
- Fits automatic and manual transmissions
- Works with aluminum driveshafts
- Powder coated for long life
- Complete with all hardware

Got any more information? Where does it bolt on too?

snakeraper11b

Established Member
You'll need to reset your pinion angle with that one since it bolts between the transmission and mount thus raising the tail shaft in relation to the pinion. It's only about 3/16" thick, but it will effect it about 1 degree.

quad

Established Member
Got any more information? Where does it bolt on too?
Instructions here:

http://buystifflers.com/PDF/DSL-M01.pdf

Apparently it is a 1/2 hour job.

Here is a nice picture showing an installed unit. The Stiffler safety loop essentially cantilevers out to the rear from the transmission support member to catch the drive shaft. So it is only anchored on one end with two bolts. The plate must be pretty strong to resist sagging over time and to prevent the drive shaft from hitting the ground in the event of failure.

99999.jpg

Last edited:

Termn8ur

Established Member
You'll need to reset your pinion angle with that one since it bolts between the transmission and mount thus raising the tail shaft in relation to the pinion. It's only about 3/16" thick, but it will effect it about 1 degree.
That's what the spacers that are shown in the picture are for. They go between the tranny mount and the body to offset the same amount as the DSL being placed between the tranny and mount. This is done to keep from changing the driveline angle.
Think I'm gonna pull the trigger on one of these soon...

And to the OP...sorry, I didn't notice the tranny tailshaft in the pic before I commented earlier. Noticed the exhaust and "ASSumed"... Nice job on the custom loop.

Ace5Oh

Established Member
That's what the spacers that are shown in the picture are for. They go between the tranny mount and the body to offset the same amount as the DSL being placed between the tranny and mount. This is done to keep from changing the driveline angle.
Think I'm gonna pull the trigger on one of these soon...

And to the OP...sorry, I didn't notice the tranny tailshaft in the pic before I commented earlier. Noticed the exhaust and "ASSumed"... Nice job on the custom loop.

Let us know how it goes. I want to get one too.

Users who are viewing this thread