Current New Vehicle Market

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I have to admit, I really like the looks of the new Lexus GX550 Overtrail model, with factory 33s, Torsen limited slip center diff (locking) and locking rear diff. I'm a fan of the V8, never had good luck with Turbo charged V6s, but this may be fun. 3.4L with 349 horsepower and 479 lbs ft torque.

I could see driving one of these for my daily, once the aftermarket picks up and some front bumpers become available (deer protection).

1702492603804.png

1702492681501.png

Last edited:

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member

Used auto prices fall again but are still much higher than before the pandemic​

Jan. 08, 2024 3:12 PM ETCarMax, Inc. (KMX) Stock, CVNA Stock, CARS Stock, GM Stock, F Stock, TM StockAN, PAG, ABG, GPI, SAH, LAD, CARG, VRM, SFTGQBy: Clark Schultz, SA News Editor
Closeup male hand giving a car key for vehicle loan credit financial, lease or rental concept

coffeekai/iStock via Getty Images
The Manheim Used Vehicle Value Index for December showed that wholesale used-vehicle prices (on a mix, mileage, and seasonally adjusted basis) decreased 0.5% in December from November and were down 7.0% from a year ago. The seasonal adjustment reduced the December decrease. The non-adjusted price in December declined by 2.0% compared to November, moving the unadjusted average price down 7.7% year over year.
"December’s decline brought a volatile year to a close," noted Cox Automotive Director Jeremy Robb. Looking back at the year, Robb said the spring bounce was much more pronounced than expected in 2023, and prices slid just as rapidly after that bounce, finishing more calmly in December as expected.
"The 7.0% year-over-year loss was larger than our original forecast, but it pales in comparison to the nearly 15% decline we had a year earlier. 2024 is looking to be less volatile than 2023, but we’ve been taught to expect the unexpected in the wholesale market."
For December, used vehicle prices were down 11.7% for compact cars, fell 6.9% for luxury autos, and declined 6.5% for the SUV/CUV category. Looking ahead, used vehicle sales are expected to increase by less than 1% to 36.2M units. That forecast includes 19.2M in used vehicle retail sales. "For the economy and the auto market, we're in for just 1% to 2% growth, but growth beats a recession," noted Cox Automotive Chief Economist Jonathan Smoke.
Despite the recent downtrend, used auto prices are still up more than 50% from the pre-pandemic average in 2019.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Cheapest crewcab pickup within 100 miles of me regardless of make. Great mileage on these to boot. With interest rates, this has to be a winner for Ford at this price point.

1705163244718.png

Cheapest fullsize bumps you close to 40k

1705163161568.png

Just for kicks, the most expensive within 100 miles, this includes 2500 and 3500.

1705163731654.png

Last edited:

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
Cheapest crewcab pickup within 100 miles of me regardless of make. Great mileage on these to boot. With interest rates, this has to be a winner for Ford at this price point.

View attachment 1824803

Cheapest fullsize bumps you close to 40k

View attachment 1824802

Just for kicks, the most expensive within 100 miles, this includes 2500 and 3500.

View attachment 1824804

You'd be right on the Maverick if it weren't for Ford dealers. Almost all of them tack an ADM on to the maverick still.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You'd be right on the Maverick if it weren't for Ford dealers. Almost all of them tack an ADM on to the maverick still.

I mean, they're 96% made to order...so 96% of the people buying them ordered it and agreed to price beforehand. 4% are stock orders.

If you wanted one from me, I'm 2 years out.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I mean, they're 96% made to order...so 96% of the people buying them ordered it and agreed to price beforehand. 4% are stock orders.

I don't remember seeing your Mustang inventory so low, unless you just run it lean during the winter.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member

So why hasn't ford increased the supply? Are they complicit in the nonstop price gouging?

I know you essentially will take all orders at MSRP, but many Ford dealers will not and they've completely ruined any chance of me buying a vehicle from them.

I'm not sure the dealership model works anymore. Did Ford ever implement their rumored direct ordering process mirroring the Tesla model?

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia

It's so laughable I wanna cry. Not because of anything you've done, but what Ford's marketing didn't do. Forecast the demand.

Ever since they shutdown the Ranger plant in St.Paul, the public's been screaming for 'em. Ugh.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
So why hasn't ford increased the supply? Are they complicit in the nonstop price gouging?

I know you essentially will take all orders at MSRP, but many Ford dealers will not and they've completely ruined any chance of me buying a vehicle from them.

I'm not sure the dealership model works anymore. Did Ford ever implement their rumored direct ordering process mirroring the Tesla model?

1. They can't increase production as fast as demand has increased. Ford forecasted for the Maverick to have demand similar to the Ranger...it came out to be about 10x's that.

2. No. Ford cant do a direct ordering process like Tesla. That was just rumors.
It's so laughable I wanna cry. Not because of anything you've done, but what Ford's marketing didn't do. Forecast the demand.

Ever since they shutdown the Ranger plant in St.Paul, the public's been screaming for 'em. Ugh.

They were way off on demand projections for sure.

02reaper

Established Member
1. They can't increase production as fast as demand has increased. Ford forecasted for the Maverick to have demand similar to the Ranger...it came out to be about 10x's that.

2. No. Ford cant do a direct ordering process like Tesla. That was just rumors.

They were way off on demand projections for sure.
I'm sure they probably don't want to increase production with the demand for the maverick either, because its probably not a big money maker for them.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm sure they probably don't want to increase production with the demand for the maverick either, because its probably not a big money maker for them.

Oh they for sure want to increase production.

02reaper

Established Member
Oh they for sure want to increase production.
What's the hold up then? I constantly see where they could produce lets say 1000 vehicles that are sold before they can even produce them. Then on the other hand they want to make the more expensive version of the same vehicle that doesn't sell as many instead of producing what is selling good.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
What's the hold up then? I constantly see where they could produce lets say 1000 vehicles that are sold before they can even produce them. Then on the other hand they want to make the more expensive version of the same vehicle that doesn't sell as many instead of producing what is selling good.

The hold up is their contracts on parts and such for them. When you forecast for 10,000 units, you contract for 10,000 shift knobs, etc.....when you need to bump production, you have to go back to your suppliers and get more. Sometimes it's easy, other times it's not.

Making more of the higher end stuff isn't necessarily true either. Look at Super Duties for example. If I could have 100 F-250 XLTs on my lot, or 100 F-450 Limiteds...I'd opt for the Limiteds and would sell them faster than the XLTs.

Users who are viewing this thread