Curious why my OLED TV goes black between channel changes. Looking for suggestions.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have a curious "issue" with my LG OLED TV. Usually when I change channels (manually or with my channel guide), the TV goes black (with no audio) for about 2-3 seconds, and then the picture/audio come back. It's been doing this for awhile. I'm thinking that it might be an HDMI cable issue but it only happens when changing channels. Doesn't happen on its own while I'm watching a channel. Anyone have any suggestions as far as what I can check or what might be causing this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Zodiac

Established Member
Sounds like it's changing output settings when it changes channels. I'm assuming some channels broadcast in 1080 and some in 720.

60_HitME

Established Member
Maybe it's changing resolution which is what happens with some TV and cable box combos. 480i -->480p--720p-->1080i.

I have a curious "issue" with my LG OLED TV. Usually when I change channels (manually or with my channel guide), the TV goes black (with no audio) for about 2-3 seconds, and then the picture/audio come back. It's been doing this for awhile. I'm thinking that it might be an HDMI cable issue but it only happens when changing channels. Doesn't happen on its own while I'm watching a channel. Anyone have any suggestions as far as what I can check or what might be causing this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Bob, $500 shipped to my house to take it off your hands... What model is it? I agree with the above about changing output settings, but even my 8 year old LCD doesn't take that long.

oldmodman

Established Member
Bob. Your solution is quite simple.

At least from my girlfriend's point of view. (which I don't share since I wore out two remote controls from my cable company in the last year)

Don't change channels.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
LOL.

I only watch HD channels, so they should all be 1080. Pressing Previous Channel going from one HD channel to the previous HD channel does the same thing. I'm going to switch to another HDMI port but I don't expect that will really do anything.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks U.M. If it's "normal", I can certainly live with the annoyance of the screen going black in-between channels. I was more concerned that it might be an issue with the TV.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
Cable TV boxes are all shitty. There is probably lag in between changing channels and your TV recognizes it as a signal loss. Try using an over-the-air antenna and using the built-in tuner.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
LOL.

I only watch HD channels, so they should all be 1080. Pressing Previous Channel going from one HD channel to the previous HD channel does the same thing. I'm going to switch to another HDMI port but I don't expect that will really do anything.
Not necessarily, I believe the boxes upscale the content. Have you checked your settings on the box? Most of the content you see on TV is 720P being upscaled to 1080P. A lot of times, boxes have 720P, 1080i and 1080P checked so it usually auto switches between them.

I would only keep 720P and 1080P as most content isnt even proper 1080P to begin with. 1080i is worse than 720P despite 1080i having higher resolutions.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
I wish my delay was only 2-3 seconds. Since I switched to DirectTV the delay switching channels is maddening. And its on all my TV's. I would say on average it is 4-6 seconds but I have counted over 10 seconds at times.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Same thing here Bob. I have DirectTV and i get a little lag between channels. Ive read it's the satellite pulling down the signal. Maybe a dish adjustment would help?

tgasTT

Established Member
From CNet...

"why the screen goes blank when you change ch
by alphatech335 / January 7, 2011 2:14 PM PST
In reply to: New HD TV--screen goes black when I change channels-why??

hello im a field tech for dtv, to answer your question the screen goes black when you change ch because it is switching from 13volts to 18volts and back again. because you have hd it is also changing from 13volts with a 22kilohrtz tone as well as 18volts with a 22 kilohrtz tone. there is nothing wrong with your tv or the directv reciever this is normal, remember you are bringing down a ch from space. try thinking about tvs before remotes, they would always send a kid back and forth to change the ch. well every time you change the ch you are sending a different kid and if you are ch surfing you are running these kids back and forth pretty fast they are gonna get tired and go slower. when you change ch you are picking a voltage specific to a ch sending up the coax to your dish that is reciving the signal from space its gonna take aprox 5 to 10 sec max to tune to the next ch if it takes longer you may need a software download. hope this helps"

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I had Dtv and had the same issue, but I didn't think much of it. I have dish with the Hopper 3 and it's snappy as it could possibly be. Plus I can record 16 things at the same time, which is just bad ass.

Users who are viewing this thread