CTSV vs Eclipse GST

Quik Z06

Established Member
It's been a long time since I've posted a kill and was thinking of not posting this one as it wasn't much of a race. My wife and I went to get something to eat and when we get on the freeway I see HID's coming up behind me. We were cruising about 65 mph and this black Eclipse pulls up next to me. Lol, I thought it was a spaceship with all the gauges and lights he had in that thing. I didn't know if he was going to run but then he slows down and makes sure I hear his blow off valve. At that point I was like sweet, first test for my V. I hear him down shift and it actually got pretty loud, sounded like a big turbo (doubt it was though) Reason I say that is normally I never hear the turbo spooling up. Well, I downshift to 3rd and I was waiting for him to honk but instead he just punches it. I was ready so I floor it and catch him, shift to 4th and start to pull hard on him. I put maybe 4-5 cars on him and let off. He catches up to me again and downshifts, I was like really? So again I drop it to 3rd and wait, this time expecting him to just take off. Needless to say he does, I hit it right away and before im into 4th im already by him, shift to 4th and this time stay on it longer, put maybe 6-7 cars and let off. After that he just get's behind me and stays there. Lol, I pulled off the freeway and waved but they never looked over.

I know I wasn't racing a turbo busa, lol but it's been so long since I've raced on the street that I figured i'd post. My V is pretty new to me, had it about 3 weeks. It's an 04 that I absolutely love :beer: Here's a pic of it.

side1-2.jpg

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
Didnt know those model year V's came in a stick shift, or do they? Either way nice kill op. Damn ricers dont know when to quit lol

Quik Z06

Established Member
Didnt know those model year V's came in a stick shift, or do they? Either way nice kill op. Damn ricers dont know when to quit lol

Actually that's the only way they come LS6 with a 6 speed :) The newer ones started coming with an auto tranny.

ITRIEDEL

Established Member
Them lil boogers can be made fast, as long as they stay together...

I had a little 14B ported, and the turbo was loud as hell, then went to a 16g and it got even louder..... because I was running a straight pipe... it was pretty quick...so honestly no telling if it had a upgraded turbo... you get those down in the 12's with some weight reduction and minor bolt ons

GSX's and TSI's (AWD) that is

the GS-T's need plenty of traction

Last edited:

thecrimson

Derpin
Established Member
Read the story, looked at location....Yep. California. Nobody knows how to honk it off out here! Good kill.

blkvenm97

Established Member
good kill op! don't u just hate when u smoke someone pretty bad fair and square then they come up tryin to race again? doesn't make sense to me....

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Wasnt me.....

What color was it? DSM scene here in modesto is dead so it was prolly stockish like mine. Even the stock turbo gets loud with an intake filter alone so thats not a very good gauge of whether or not its got a bigger snail. Now the pitch of the spool will give it away, a vacuum cleaner sounding whoosh = MHI variant (14b, 16g, 20g). High pitched whistle of the spool = garret or such.

I used to know all the modded dsm guys here in the valley but we all moved onto other platforms. Im one of few that keeps coming back to them.

You would need a very nicely modded 16g or 20g setup to contend with a V from a roll with a gst. Even more from a roll in a gsx due to awd drivetrain loss. But it can be done and done reliably, it just takes the proper care and the right modifications to do it. Unfortunately those cars got a bad rep from a generation of half assers and ghetto kiddies that blamed the car for their shortcomings.

Edit: i see you said it was black. Was it a Spyder or coupe?

Last edited:

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
I have owned both. If you pulled that hard on a GST from a high roll it was either the stock T25, T28 or a pump gas 16g. My car with a 20g pulled c5's from a roll and it was a GSX. With the 60 trim it put down 430rwhp on pump gas and trapped in the 122-123 range.

Honestly of all my cars I miss my DSM the most. Bought it new in 98 at the age of 21 for 28K. Man did I think I was a big deal. :D Sold it after building the motor to run 30+psi and race gas after spinning a rod bearing on the stock motor. Paid 5K building the motor and it got crankwalk about 30 seconds after startup. after another 1400 for new bearings I was done with it after 5.5 of ownership. Reliable as shit to other than clutches from launching.

Like Thomas said when the prices started fall when the EVO and STI came over all the young morons started hacking them up. I sold mine with 58K on it for 16,500 in 03 when I bought a new STI. Man did I **** up on that move. :bash:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I sold mine with 58K on it for 16,500 in 03 when I bought a new STI. Man did I **** up on that move. :bash:

Same here. Sold my 97 that was in pristine condition for $9,500 back in 2006ish. Bought it for $7,500 in 2003. Evo16g, DSMlink v2 w/support. Sucked in the 1/4mi because well, I really dont care about 1/4mi. Like you said, mine also would hang with most LS1's and stockish terminators of the day up to around 120-130mph where their damn 6spd gearing would start to pull me.

One of my good buddies with a 96 tsi awd, evo16g with dsmlink, e85 and support would keep up with my Cobra with numbers in sig once he spooled all the way to around 140ish.

Quik Z06

Established Member
Yea no honks from him, which I was expecting anyway. My V is bone stock and I don't plan on doing much to it, just maybe intake/exhaust if anything. Trust me I know DSM's as I used to have a 97 Eclipse and an 03 Evo back in the day, so I wasn't totally expecting to win (until he got on it a bit) then I knew it was pretty slow. It was a coupe Thomas, looked riced out.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
It was probably my friends old car, it was a unreliable pos.

If it was riced out then no wonder why it was an unreliable pos....nothing puts reliability into a car like ricer mods, held together with zip ties, duct tape and crimp on butt connectors. Prolly had a mbc at 25psi on the stock t25 turbo.

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
If it was riced out then no wonder why it was an unreliable pos....nothing puts reliability into a car like ricer mods, held together with zip ties, duct tape and crimp on butt connectors. Prolly had a mbc at 25psi on the stock t25 turbo.

:lol: the ****er pissed out more oil than a old Ford. His logic = performance mods before preventive maintenance.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
:lol: the ****er pissed out more oil than a old Ford. His logic = performance mods before preventive maintenance.

Typical ghetto dsm'er mentality.

"Make it fast before make it last". Then blame mitsu when it leaves you stranded. You notice when I dpun the bearings on mine last year I never blamed anything but myself.

Prey4Me

Another H&C LS1
Established Member
Gotta love some of the car people in this area lol. Long time no see pete, the V looks good, it didnt take you long to get another LS6 car. Im thinking it should be pretty close between the goat and the V, we should get together one of these next few weekends and get some good daytime vids and take some pics.

Quik Z06

Established Member
Gotta love some of the car people in this area lol. Long time no see pete, the V looks good, it didnt take you long to get another LS6 car. Im thinking it should be pretty close between the goat and the V, we should get together one of these next few weekends and get some good daytime vids and take some pics.

What's up Jared, just let me know. I don't know about daytime, lol not looking to get caught racing on the street again. Should be close, weight, power etc is close.

Users who are viewing this thread