Ct emission fail help

bobbyr51711

Established Member
Hello,

Ive just registered my 03 cobra. Have just minimal aftermarket parts 2.76 upper pulley and high flow catted x pipe and exhaust. And the car had a tune years back from previous owner. I failed the emissions because some of the obd read not ready and some read not supported. Also battery was disconnected for storage. So i know i may need a drive cycle. but does some saying not supported mean something is turned off in the tune?

Attachments

• Photo on 4-15-18 at 10.27 PM.jpg
    Photo on 4-15-18 at 10.27 PM.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 589

bigmoose

Established Member
Sounds like both. You need a new tune to enable the rear O2 sensors then complete a drove cycle. I know in RI you can have 1 not ready but cannot have a not supported.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Where in CT are you? Anywhere near Wallingford? If so, drive over to Pro Edge Tuning and have them look at it.

bobbyr51711

Established Member
I’ve put a call into them. Waiting for call back. Also the not supported doesnt really mean anything have those on my trailblazer as well. I bought a scanner and it says drive cycle incomplete. So gonna try a couple things see if it takes care of it. I just need one to go to ready to pass. If it doesn’t then possibly something in the time does need to be changed. A lot of the other sensors all say ready just the egr and Evap

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

bobbyr51711

Established Member
Im also wondering if i just need one more to pass then if install mil eliminators will this show the code as ready now?

bigmoose

Established Member
I’ve put a call into them. Waiting for call back. Also the not supported doesnt really mean anything have those on my trailblazer as well. I bought a scanner and it says drive cycle incomplete. So gonna try a couple things see if it takes care of it. I just need one to go to ready to pass. If it doesn’t then possibly something in the time does need to be changed. A lot of the other sensors all say ready just the egr and Evap

Not all of them do but I believe the catalyst one does matter for you. We have 8 emission sensors that should be ready, you only have 7 that are ready/not ready. That means one is set to not supported in the tune which will fail test.

bobbyr51711

Established Member
Not sure I guess. Talked to someone at pro edge today. But there suppose to have someone call me back that knows more about mustangs. But even on my trailblazer I was looking at my emission sheet and the catalyst said not supported. Really a big pain in the butt. So so stupid to have to spend hours trying to fix. Researching and what not all for a stupid code to read ready.

bobbyr51711

Established Member
Not all of them do but I believe the catalyst one does matter for you. We have 8 emission sensors that should be ready, you only have 7 that are ready/not ready. That means one is set to not supported in the tune which will fail test.

I see on my scanner as well that the catalyst monitor says n/a. So your saying it should be supported? I guess the I need the rear 02 sensors turned back on?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

bobbyr51711

Established Member
Talked to tuner today. Says he can’t just turn on rear 02 sensors without reflashing and doing a whole new tune for 700bucks? Says he can’t get into the old tune that it won’t let him? But on a side note he says the evap is not connected to the catalyst. And a drive cycle should send it to ready. Which in turn will pass for my inspection. But does this info sound correct for the Tuner, having to do a whole new tune just to turn these sensors on? At that much money I would just buy a programmer and try myself?

hotcobra03

Established Member
you should be able to use a new hand tuner..

it should read car now as a stock tune.. than you can rewrite pcm with another tune..get tested..than turn back to stock tune..

I just used my hand held to adjust for 4lb lower..

I got a handfull of codes..I assume there is more to do to support the raise in boost..

1 of the codes was egr..as in the tuner assumed I deleted that part..as most do from reading I've done..

somethings may have been modified on yours ..

mine..long tubes.no cats,rear o2s on..

no cel...and all monitors set..

running Diablo predator with performance tune..

hotcobra03

Established Member
on the not supported..

I have a bosh 1350.

I use it a lot helping friends..

I notice that a lot when scanning.

scanner may do more than what pcm is able to give

this is where I think ,,not supported comes to play..

vs not set..

bobbyr51711

Established Member
im just gonna try and complete a drive cycle and see if the evap goes to complete and then i have enough to pass inspection. then ill go from there if i need to see a tuner or figure something out myself.

bigmoose

Established Member
im just gonna try and complete a drive cycle and see if the evap goes to complete and then i have enough to pass inspection. then ill go from there if i need to see a tuner or figure something out myself.
Google Ford drive cycle to see how to get it to set. There are specific driving conditions to set it.

The tuner is correct. He can't just read out the current tune and modify assuming he's using SCT. He'd have to construct a new tune for you. However $700 is steep.

bobbyr51711

Established Member
Google Ford drive cycle to see how to get it to set. There are specific driving conditions to set it.

The tuner is correct. He can't just read out the current tune and modify assuming he's using SCT. He'd have to construct a new tune for you. However $700 is steep.

Yeah I’ve looked at it. Gonna try it soon as we get some nice weather. On a positive note, I just found the previous owners emissions tests and it has all the same monitors ready and not ready and unsupported as I have except the evap was ready on there’s. So I’m pretty confident it’s just needs a little
It’s driving . Considering it’s has almost no miles out on since battery was pulled for 6 months. Thanks for the help.

xxjaymanzxx

Established Member
Listen to what Bill at pro edge said he got my car to pass CT emissions, he tunes my car and is very knowledgeable... most of the time they are locked and you can’t change anything in the tune unless the tuner that tuned it has it unlocked for you.

bobbyr51711

Established Member
Listen to what Bill at pro edge said he got my car to pass CT emissions, he tunes my car and is very knowledgeable... most of the time they are locked and you can’t change anything in the tune unless the tuner that tuned it has it unlocked for you.

Yeah I did. But didn’t want to spend money if I did not need to. And I got the evap monitor set this morning when I did the drive cycle and I passed emissions!! So didn’t want to spend 700 bucks for nothing. But on a side note. Do you know any reputable shops in ct that would be good at installing full length sub frame connectors?

cj428mach

Established Member
Using sct you can't read out the existing tune. If you could find someone with Binary Editor software and a mongoose cable/quarterhorse they could read out the existing tune for you. It would cost a token to modify the tune which runs $96.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
For once Massachusetts has the advantage? 03 in Massachusetts is emissions exempt now... you can hollow your cats out as long as they look like you didnt remove them.

I think with the battery unplugged you need some drive cycles to gather data. If that doesnt work then something was turned off in the tune and you arent gathering the data you need until it is turned back on. If you happen to have a failure for emissions, you could always use spark plug extenders... works well.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I tried everything to get mine to pass and gave up. I welded on two halves of a Cat together so its looks real.

I then brought the car over the Pro Edge tuning in Wallingford, CT where Bill Miller took the car to emissions himself which was down the street from his shop and got it to pass with flying colors!

Users who are viewing this thread