Cryotreating: Legit or snake oil?

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
I have a question. Has anyone really done a comparison that would show before and after? For example, if I had a part fail over and over again with out being treated and decided to have it treated and after the treatment it never failed again or at the least lasted longer, I could then say it helped. I mean that the only difference was the treatment and nothing else.
When we say that we had a part treated and it never failed, can we then say that it was because of the treatment or it just simply didn't fail? I am not auguring the point because many people believe in coating, I am just asking the question.

Coiled03

Established Member
I have a question. Has anyone really done a comparison that would show before and after? For example, if I had a part fail over and over again with out being treated and decided to have it treated and after the treatment it never failed again or at the least lasted longer, I could then say it helped. I mean that the only difference was the treatment and nothing else.
When we say that we had a part treated and it never failed, can we then say that it was because of the treatment or it just simply didn't fail? I am not auguring the point because many people believe in coating, I am just asking the question.

What kind of comparison? It's pretty simple to do basic metallurgical testing (Rc hardness, for example) which is much more valid than anecdotal evidence like lack of a failure.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
+1 to this guy ^^^

I’d settle for a stress test that showed a higher averag breaking point over several tests.

Anyways, pretty wild stuff.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
I agree with you about that. My point is that many times we go to extremes to protect things that are not failing. When I was boat racing I tried a coating on my pistons hoping to extend the life of the piston. Good idea at the time but the engine failed because it snagged a ring and took out the cylinder.
The input shaft on the 6R80 is a known point of failure so we put a billet shaft in and reduce the point of failure. That is all I am saying.

TERMN8U

Established Member
What kind of comparison? It's pretty simple to do basic metallurgical testing (Rc hardness, for example) which is much more valid than anecdotal evidence like lack of a failure.
We do the break rotors for the local fire departments. They monitor and see 2-3 times the life of the rotors.
Riffles that have been Cryo treated don’t deform nearly as much when rapidly fired. Cryo refines the structure and stabilizes the material.
You can find many articles on Google that have the associated testing linked. :)

Users who are viewing this thread