Crusher guys. What sensor? tuning issue??

BO TY KLR

Established Member
What MAF sensor are you guys using? Finally got it all back together. Little update on my setup. 2.9 crusher, 80's, return fuel system, has a sct ba-5000 maf in it. The problem I'm having is It will fire up fine but as rpms drop down to idle it stall. Been all over everything I've touched 3 times. I have tried 5 different tunes sent to me, nothing seemed to work. Sometimes it may idle at 4-500rpm for 10 secounds or so but anything you do with throttle causes it to die. Most of the time it just starts cleanly then dies. I found(by accident) that if i unplug maf it will start and idle perfect, with nice throttle response. I ran it for 1/2 hour the other day looking for problems, but as soon as i plug maf in and a signal is picked up on predator it stalls. Will do as before untill i unplug maf, then runs fine.

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
BA 3000 here bud, and i got the same type of fuel setup, 80#/return

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
BA 3000 here bud, and i got the same type of fuel setup, 80#/return

The Crusher inlet/system takes a slot style MAF sensor.

OP-The BA5000 will work, but the 123mm MAF housing is extremely large and your going to loose clarity down low in the transfer.

Also, think about how the air is going to react in the Crusher system, vs a traditional CAI. The air looses velocity and tends to tumbe causing a turbulant MAF signal, Vs the engine "drinking through a straw" and having a nice, consistant laminar flow of air accross the sensor.

The reason the vehicle runs with the MAF unplugged is because the PCM reads off a different table when it is unplugged.

I believe it is tuning, might take some work to get that big MAF dialed in. Real-time tuning would help out greatly in this situation.

BO TY KLR

Established Member
So you think sensor is fine then? I understand realtime tuning will do wonders. Just don't want to drag it 2 hours away and be told i have other issues. Wanted to at least get it running.

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
So you think sensor is fine then? I understand realtime tuning will do wonders. Just don't want to drag it 2 hours away and be told i have other issues. Wanted to at least get it running.

Who is tuning the vehicle?

I'd like to think the MAF sensor is fine, just the MAF transfer is WAY off.

BO TY KLR

Established Member
I'm not going to trash anyones name. I understand the difficulties at trying to tune from 1000 mi away.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Get rid of that MAF and get a stock 05+ GT/GT500 meter...they are exactly the same and get a MAFIA , my tuner hated the VMP HPX maf (same as BA5000) in the 123mm housing just too much meter for that housing. Get the part # and plug it into the search on ebay i found mine for $55 shipped brand new.

Last edited:

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Who is tuning the vehicle?

I'd like to think the MAF sensor is fine, just the MAF transfer is WAY off.

The problem is the housing gives it too much range and driveability is non existent, my tuner tried like hell to get it right but the counts were in the 600's and thats not alot its a 1500hp meter in that housing...pretty much almost double what you need...just not practicle

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
I'm not going to trash anyones name. I understand the difficulties at trying to tune from 1000 mi away.

That was not my intent. I'm sure if he knows what he is doing he can solve the problem. It does make it harder being a thousand miles away.

didn't know that, thanks bud.

No worries.

Get rid of that MAF and get a stock 05+ GT/GT500 meter...they are exactly the same and get a MAFIA , my tuner hated the VMP HPX maf (same as BA5000) in the 123mm housing just too much meter for that housing. Get the part # and plug it into the search on ebay i found mine for $55 shipped brand new.

I would think a stock meter would support a decent amount of power in that large of a housing on it's own. I have no idea how much though.

The problem is the housing gives it too much range and driveability is non existent, my tuner tried like hell to get it right but the counts were in the 600's and thats not alot its a 1500hp meter in that housing...pretty much almost double what you need...just not practicle

That's correct. A correctly sized MAF will use 80-85% of it's range. At 600 peak AD counts, your only using about 60% of the meter. The main problem is the loss of resoloution down low, in the idle and driveability ranges we use most. There is nothing "wrong" with the sensor, just that it may be too large with the 123mm housing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread