Cruising in the Cobra and I came across a ZL1

weaselp1

Established Member
So I was cruising in the Cobra in the Milwaukee area tonight and I saw a 5th gen Camaro in front of me. I was not looking to pick a fight because generally Camaro's in the area are all SS or v6 and they do not scare me too much.

So I pulled up behind the Camaro and saw ZL1 on the right rear bumper; I was surprised as all hell because those are the 580 crank HP Camaros; I pulled up next to the guy and was even more surprised when I saw a kid driving it and he had to be around 18 years old. He just gave me the thumbs up and we went on our way. After some research, it was a 2012 ZL1 and I am glad I did not pick a fight because I feel I would have gotten beaten with with my 485 RWHP Cobra.

What do you guys think? Would it have been a good match or would I have gotten beat? It is times like these where I think to myself, "Whipple or VMP" LOL

DanenGraham

Established Member
Why do you have your car??

You won't race unless you know you will win. And you won't race cars you know you can beat...

Logic fail.

weaselp1

Established Member
Why do you have your car??

You won't race unless you know you will win. And you won't race cars you know you can beat...

Logic fail.

I did not race this particular guy because we were in a 35mph zone already going around 45 and other cars on the road....i do race from time to time, but I am not a big fan on attracting the attention...i get bothered enough by just driving around following the speed limit... i have won and lost on the street...if i want to have fun, i go to the track for the day.

DanenGraham

Established Member
Ok, just wondering. If you play it safe that's always good. But your post just made it sound weird.

I think it would have been a great race.

oster910

Turboman
Established Member
Well it should be close, my brother has a bolt on 01 z06 that went fairly close to a zl1 claiming to be pullied he's only making like 380 rwhp tops

weaselp1

Established Member
Ok, just wondering. If you play it safe that's always good. But your post just made it sound weird.

I think it would have been a great race.

yeah i normally play it safe; there have been a couple of times i have had some open freeway and i have had some fun, but that is rare; I was just surprised to see a ZL1.... Milwaukee isnt exactly car utopia and 80% of the time someone wants to race me, it is a subaru WRX that has a exhaust and tune. 90% of the people i come across at car shows have no idea what a terminator is or what it is capable of. :shrug:

weaselp1

Established Member
Well it should be close, my brother has a bolt on 01 z06 that went fairly close to a zl1 claiming to be pullied he's only making like 380 rwhp tops

wow...that goes to show you how much weight really matters...that zo6 is about 3100 pounds compared to our cobras that are 3650 lb and the zl1 is almost 3800...

oster910

Turboman
Established Member
wow...that goes to show you how much weight really matters...that zo6 is about 3100 pounds compared to our cobras that are 3650 lb and the zl1 is almost 3800...

Yep, it really makes a huge difference
When my brother had the gto he took out around 180 lbs or so and after that he was able to take me but before he could only hang with the cobra, it was just exhaust and a tune for me

Danno44

Squatchin
Established Member
You should have ran him. The ZL1 is a heat soaking pig weighing 4100 lbs. You should be 500lbs lighter making just as much if not more power than him. On a warm night that ZL1, assuming its stock, is lucky to trap 116.

weaselp1

Established Member
You should have ran him. The ZL1 is a heat soaking pig weighing 4100 lbs. You should be 500lbs lighter making just as much if not more power than him. On a warm night that ZL1, assuming its stock, is lucky to trap 116.

good to know...trap 116...wow..heat soaking pig is right...lol

Comp281

Established Member
I had one in the lane next to me once and he was a few car lengths ahead. He opened it up so I followed and went through a couple gears and it didn't pull away from me at all. I'm not into street racing so I eventually took my foot off the gas but I was amazed because I expected it to be much faster. Didn't pull away from my 465rwhp car at all.

mike.b

Established Member
I would never back down from a stock or bolt on ZL1. I've seen a bolt on cobalt ss t/c beat a stock ZL1 on a 40 roll and I've ran the same cobalt and walked away from it.

Kudos for not being a douche racing in an area that had others around

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Who knows if that ZL1 was stock, pulley/tune wise. The kid wasn't a jerk by egging you on to race when the conditions weren't safe. Shows that there are some mature 18 year old muscle car drivers out there.

weaselp1

Established Member
I had one in the lane next to me once and he was a few car lengths ahead. He opened it up so I followed and went through a couple gears and it didn't pull away from me at all. I'm not into street racing so I eventually took my foot off the gas but I was amazed because I expected it to be much faster. Didn't pull away from my 465rwhp car at all.

i am not into street racing either, but i too am amazed he didnt pull from you...kudos to the terminator :)

I would never back down from a stock or bolt on ZL1. I've seen a bolt on cobalt ss t/c beat a stock ZL1 on a 40 roll and I've ran the same cobalt and walked away from it. Kudos for not being a douche racing in an area that had others around

agreed :)

Who knows if that ZL1 was stock, pulley/tune wise. The kid wasn't a jerk by egging you on to race when the conditions weren't safe. Shows that there are some mature 18 year old muscle car drivers out there.

yeah, who knows if that zl1 had a pulley/tune...but i totally agree it shows there are some mature 18 year olds out there...when i was 18, i dont think i would have been able to restrain myself :rockon:

Tractionless1

Established Member
So I was cruising in the Cobra in the Milwaukee area tonight and I saw a 5th gen Camaro in front of me. I was not looking to pick a fight because generally Camaro's in the area are all SS or v6 and they do not scare me too much.

So I pulled up behind the Camaro and saw ZL1 on the right rear bumper; I was surprised as all hell because those are the 580 crank HP Camaros; I pulled up next to the guy and was even more surprised when I saw a kid driving it and he had to be around 18 years old. He just gave me the thumbs up and we went on our way. After some research, it was a 2012 ZL1 and I am glad I did not pick a fight because I feel I would have gotten beaten with with my 485 RWHP Cobra.

What do you guys think? Would it have been a good match or would I have gotten beat? It is times like these where I think to myself, "Whipple or VMP" LOL

Learn to ID the enemy by more than a badge. I'll put money on it being a ZL1 badge only. After all look at all the Fobras etc. out there!

weaselp1

Established Member
Learn to ID the enemy by more than a badge. I'll put money on it being a ZL1 badge only. After all look at all the Fobras etc. out there!

LOL.... id the enemy by more than a badge..that is something i will remember forever..and yes, i have done my research on the zl1 now.. normally, i am pretty good at IDs, but i normally dont pay any attention to camaros at all...:rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread