Crossover tube plug...&$%#!!!!!!

wan2play

Established Member
Im trying to remove plug and its just not turning. I feel the ratchet head digging into the meta,l so I stopped not to completely strip it.

Does anyone have any suggestions? This is really killing me.

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member
If you strip it and you have access to a welder or know someone that welds,weld a bolt to it and use a wrench to remove it. When you get it off call Tousley Ford and order a new one. You can even do this if it isn't stripped to make it easier. Hope this helps.

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
If you strip it and you have access to a welder or know someone that welds,weld a bolt to it and use a wrench to remove it. When you get it off call Tousley Ford and order a new one. You can even do this if it isn't stripped to make it easier. Hope this helps.

i agree with the first part but i dont know if i would trust another stock one in there again. I modify your old one (or a new one) and weld on a bolt head so it never will happen again. Here is what i did to mine. I still have to have it re-chromed to match my crossover tube.

S6302081.jpg

S6302082.jpg

S6302083.jpg

S6302085.jpg

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member
i agree with the first part but i dont know if i would trust another stock one in there again. I modify your old one (or a new one) and weld on a bolt head so it never will happen again. Here is what i did to mine. I still have to have it re-chromed to match my crossover tube.

S6302081.jpg

S6302082.jpg

S6302083.jpg

S6302085.jpg

That looks very clean. Do you make these?

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Exactly or start the car and let it idle for a bit to heat the crossover pipe up, those plugs COLD are like cement!

scorched

Established Member
Exactly or start the car and let it idle for a bit to heat the crossover pipe up, those plugs COLD are like cement!

this is exactly what i did. and when you put it back on, you dont need to torque the hell out of it. snug will do. it has an o ring on it that provides a proper seal.

03Cobrra

Stroked,Screwed & Sprayed
Established Member
Like they said heat it up a little bit but not too much or you'll melt the o-ring.

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
^ that is F'n AMAZING..... that has got to be tough to keep clean like that!
thanks! i dont drive it too much so its not that bad

That looks very clean. Do you make these?
no, but i was forced to make this one because i ran into the same problem as everyone else. I probably over tightend it the last time i put it on. Hopefully it wont ever happen again.

Quick Strike

Established Member
no, but i was forced to make this one because i ran into the same problem as everyone else. I probably over tightend it the last time i put it on. Hopefully it wont ever happen again.

Too bad. I would take one!

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
OP, like stated above. Let the car heat up and then give it a try with the appropriate gear on. I remember popping mine off for the 1st time at 30,000 miles and it wasn't easy. I broke 2 wrenches and the entire car almost came off the ground when it popped off. Tighten it back up easy and all will be well. I ordered a new plug from Ford as mine was all jacked up...

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
What's the part number for that plug? Ford only lists the crossover & plug as one assembly. Need to get another one for my Aviator as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oops, found it, I think. Does this sound familiar: F3LY-8A500-A

Last edited:

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
What's the part number for that plug? Ford only lists the crossover & plug as one assembly. Need to get another one for my Aviator as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oops, found it, I think. Does this sound familiar: F3LY-8A500-A

Yes, that is the correct part #, and holy shit! They are not cheap anymore.

List price is $31.15

Tousley Ford should have them. Call and order one from Steve...should be about $10 cheaper.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Yeah, noticed that. Fortunately, my local dealer gets me everything at the same price Tousley charges...

Users who are viewing this thread