Crossover Removal

thatglockguy

Established Member
Hello everyone out there,
I have read some posts about crossover removal and my question is:
How can I remove the crossover with the supercharger still on the engine?
I have got it loose but it hits the nose of the supercharger.
Do I need to remove the supercharger?
Thanks Woody

03' White Snake

Established Member
Loosen the lower intake bolts, lightly raise the blower assembly and pull out the crossover. It will not come out without doing this or undoing the blower. The intake is easier IMO.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Thanks tremendously, you are very cool white snake
I assume I can retighten intake bolts w/o replacing gaskets?
Woody
I’ve reused my gaskets many times. They are o-ring based and will be fine. There are little plastic tabs that hold them in place. Just make sure you don’t knock them out of place and crush them and they will be fine.

I recommend before loosening the lower, blow out the area between heads and blower with compressed air so nothing can fall into the head ports.

efnfast

Established Member
What is the torque spec for the lower intake manifold bolts.

I think it's 89 inch-lbs but not 100% sure as I read a post somewher ethat said it's 89 inch-lbs + 90* turn and the bolts are torque-to-yield (which doesn't make much sense to me....)

efnfast

Established Member
Getting ready to replace my crossover with Cobra Engineering's crossover delete - the entire piece is completely corroded (I'm surprised it hasn't already - some of the rust bubbles are like 1/4'' wide and 1/4'' tall).

I'm a bit hesitant to lift the lower intake manifold since I've got 250k+ on the car and stuff tends not to like coming apart at this point (disassemble piece A usually becomes replace A, B, C and D).

After draining the cooling system I'm tempted to stuff the coolant crossover tube with shop cloth and then carefully hacksaw it into 2 pieces so I can remove it without touching the blower or intake manifold, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea (i.e., chance of metal shavings getting past the cloths and in to the engine?).

Hmmmm - are there any creative ways short of cutting the tube that don't require blower/manifold lifting?

03' White Snake

Established Member
Work the crossover loose before touching the blower. It will be stuck in there pretty good. Spray with PB blaster and let it soak. Lightly pry up by bolt tabs but not too hard. Wiggle crossover tube forward and backward as much as you can. Once it lifts up and hits the blower, then you can tackle unbolting the lower. I wouldn’t cut the crossover if it was me.

hotcobra03

Established Member
With 250k.

I would just pull blower with lower intake .
Here is why.

Intercooler cleaning,
O rings on cross over tube
If using pcv line under it still ,this tube is most common leak for po171/174 ,
Ford didn't use a clamp here and hose will harden and spin on that nipple but not pull off,

Gaskets are reuse but not expensive if you want to replace,

I remember when ours was at 250k glad to see another ,
Keep up on maintenance and another 200k is nothing for this motor ,

efnfast

Established Member
fyi there is no need to remove the (oem) blower or intake manifold to get the crossover tube out (uncertain about getting it back in since I replaced w/ Cobra Engineering cross-over delete since my crossover tube had rust bubbles on every square inch)

after I got the crossover tube wiggling I was juuust able to lift it up enough and start twisting it at the center section to get it to clear the blower snout

03' White Snake

Established Member
Glad you got it out without trouble. It’s been at least 12 years since I’ve run an Eaton and I didn’t remove the crossover before that either. With a TS, the blower has to be lifted.

cj428mach

Established Member
Glad you got it out without trouble. It’s been at least 12 years since I’ve run an Eaton and I didn’t remove the crossover before that either. With a TS, the blower has to be lifted.

Definitely with aftermarket blowers it won't come out It took quite a bit of test fits to get my cross over modded for the tvs.

efnfast

Established Member
I guess I'm the only guy running ported Eaton still ... what can I say, I'm a dinosaur :)

Users who are viewing this thread