Cross shopping Taurus SHO and Fusion Sport

pwrshft99

Established Member
Suddenly have that new (used) car itch and I'm kinda window shopping. I have always been intrigued by the Ecoboost engine family and have be trying to decide which of these would be the better value for a fun daily.

I had a 95 SHO, so a modern version would be kind of cool. However the 2.7 EB seems to be a screamer and the Fusion is a bit lighter as well.

The SHOs seem to be holding their value better but some of the deals on the Fusions are hard to ignore. The 2017 Sport I am eyeballing is $18k with 10k miles on it. Have seen 2014 SHOs with 80k+ miles in that price range.

The mileage itself doesn't really scare me, but it's a gamble on if it has been maintained. The PTUs and water pumps tend to fail about $75k miles if they haven't been serviced.

For a daily that will seen maybe a tune, down pipe and cold air....which one would you pick??

SHOdown220

Established Member
I drove the SHO when it first came out what was that around 2010? and liked it, I've never driven the fusion. I woul drive both and see what you like. The deals to be had on fusion sport is really hard to pass up. Those sticker for like like low 40s? I seem to remember new ones discounted in the 20s and barely used ones for high teens, its crazy.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yeah, you'll get a better deal on a lower mileage Fusion Sport than an SHO. Different rides, though. Have you test driven both?

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
40k miles on my fusion sport so far and have been overall pleased with it. Quick car with an excellent ride. Temper expectations if you think your getting a budget Audi you are not. It’s a well equipped fusion with a solid engine/trans.

The SHO is a large car where the Fusion is more true to midsize IMO.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Suddenly have that new (used) car itch and I'm kinda window shopping. I have always been intrigued by the Ecoboost engine family and have be trying to decide which of these would be the better value for a fun daily.

I had a 95 SHO, so a modern version would be kind of cool. However the 2.7 EB seems to be a screamer and the Fusion is a bit lighter as well.

The SHOs seem to be holding their value better but some of the deals on the Fusions are hard to ignore. The 2017 Sport I am eyeballing is $18k with 10k miles on it. Have seen 2014 SHOs with 80k+ miles in that price range.

The mileage itself doesn't really scare me, but it's a gamble on if it has been maintained. The PTUs and water pumps tend to fail about $75k miles if they haven't been serviced.

For a daily that will seen maybe a tune, down pipe and cold air....which one would you pick??
I am biased because we own an ‘18 Sport. The 2.7 is pretty solid, but yeah I think the weak point is the PTU. Poke around Fusion Forums to find out more. Even though regular fusions are all over. I’ve only seen 3 in Colorado over the past year of ownership, so they’re rare. You can find new ones in the mid $30k range and they sticker at $40k

pwrshft99

Established Member
My biggest worry about the SHO is size. I am aware that it is the bigger vehicle, however there seems to be less space inside.

I remember reading articles about cops who drove Tauruses not really liking them. From the interior pics I have seen, the driver area does seem cramped.

DiB14-SAFD

Established Member
Gotta cast a vote for the Lincoln MKS Ecoboost. All the power of the SHO with the luxury of Lincoln. Mine is getting ready to cross the 70k threshold without a hiccup. Unfortunately for me I need to get something bigger so it’s about to hit the open market.

pwrshft99

Established Member
Gotta cast a vote for the Lincoln MKS Ecoboost. All the power of the SHO with the luxury of Lincoln. Mine is getting ready to cross the 70k threshold without a hiccup. Unfortunately for me I need to get something bigger so it’s about to hit the open market.

I do like the MKS, my only worry would be the interior dimensions. I haven't sat Inna Taurus/MKS yet, but at 6'3 I feel my right leg would be way too cramped against the center console.

Then again I am coming from a Tahoe lol

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I do like my SHO, and it seems like quite a bit bigger and different car than the Fusions I've been in. Drive both and see.

DiB14-SAFD

Established Member
I do like the MKS, my only worry would be the interior dimensions. I haven't sat Inna Taurus/MKS yet, but at 6'3 I feel my right leg would be way too cramped against the center console.

Then again I am coming from a Tahoe lol

Well although not quite as talk as you, at 6’1 and a solid 250 I fit comfortably and don’t even have the seat all the way back. The SHO does have the larger console in the middle and did feel a bit more cramped to me when I looked at them.

jmsa540

Established Member
They were cramped due to equipment inside the vehicle.
My biggest worry about the SHO is size. I am aware that it is the bigger vehicle, however there seems to be less space inside.

I remember reading articles about cops who drove Tauruses not really liking them. From the interior pics I have seen, the driver area does seem cramped.

Sent from my SM-G892A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I test drove both before deciding on the VW Golf R. I would say the Taurus SHO is not only better looking but just rode better and that GINORMOUS mofia trunk is awesome! It was just really roomy and comfortable inside AND u can send the ECU out to have it flashed. Pick up like 30-40 hp I think.

The Fusion is just Boring imo.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member

Exactly...my cuz had a taurus and I have a fusion Titanium...my car is smaller on the outside only. I felt the cockpit was cramped but the back seats had tons of room...my fusion seems to have more room up front

I like my fusion a lot

Last edited:

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
I test drove both before deciding on the VW Golf R. I would say the Taurus SHO is not only better looking but just rode better and that GINORMOUS mofia trunk is awesome! It was just really roomy and comfortable inside AND u can send the ECU out to have it flashed. Pick up like 30-40 hp I think.

The Fusion is just Boring imo.
I keep eyeing those Golf Rs. Pretty discrete little pocket rockets.....

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
U better believe it! AWD too so great DD in winter. With a tune alone with zero other mods it went 11.80 @115 mph. Put a Bigger Turbo on it with a DP, Intercooler and air box and they go 10.80's @ 125 mph and still be 100% reliable. Not too shabby for a DD.

I keep eyeing those Golf Rs. Pretty discrete little pocket rockets.....

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
^^^
I gotta say my awd fusion does amazing in the snow until it get deep enough where its rubbing the bottom...which is expected lol

The fusion is Way better than my old subaru legacy ever was in the snow...10 fold better in all aspects to be honest

Last edited:

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Driven both, I would take the Sport.

The SHO is nice, but I just prefer the look/feel of the sport.

Maybe if you need space the SHO would be better.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
The 2.7L is a rocket in an Edge Sport/ST so i cannot imagine removing 1000lbs off it. Thing must be stupid quick with a tune.

Do all of the Fusion Sports come with that funky suspension setup where it "detects" bumps before they happen to smooth the ride out? Wonder how expensive those struts are when they need to be replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread