Credit card

latemodelracer2

Boosted Beyond bolt ons
Established Member
I have always just had debit cards in the 8 years ive had accounts. I have over time ran into times where my debit card has daily limits that my bank says are unremovable. This has led me to want a credit card that I could use on higher purchases, vaction rentals that type stuff. Then just pay it off monthly like the rest of my bills. What is a good card to look into for someone with middle of the road credit.

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
Well I would get something other than your Debit card. I have a Visa debit card and a Mastercard credit card. Just incase. I ran into a little gas station coming across country that only took Mastercard; Weird!
Also, the obvious reasons: points/rewards/apr and things like that.
Also PLEASE PLEASE read the small print of the contract!

Alex

crankin

Established Member
if your gonna pay it off monthly, then i would go with a rewards card. The trade off is a higher interest rate but that shouldnt matter if you pay it off every month.

Spade

Established Member
I normally go with the card that offers 0% for a year. Keep in mind paying a credit card off monthly is not as easy as you would want it to be. Before you know it there's a few hundred or even thousand you can not pay off and it builds from there. Also keep in mind if you have more than half the allowed balance to pay off that can hurt your credit score. How I came to finding that out was I recieved a credit report and I dropped a good chunk of points in a year and we're thinking that what happened.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
I just switched from MasterCard to a Visa card from my credit union because of problems I had with Capitol One. Just remember for most people credit cards are the devil. Be careful.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
if your gonna pay it off monthly, then i would go with a rewards card. The trade off is a higher interest rate but that shouldnt matter if you pay it off every month.

This! I haven't carried a credit card balance since around 2001. I have two cards. One is a Costco AmExp card where I earn dollars back with every purchase, even those outside of Costco. The other is a Barclay credit card for BJ's, another discount warehouse. I get points with it, too, but it is really a backup card for places that don't take AmExp. With my Costco AmExp card I get back around $500.00 a year. Not too shabby. :rockon:

Never_Enough

Established Member
I would like to find a CC that gives good rewards such as cash back or rewards at XYZ stores or rewards points that you can actually use without needing to gain 999999 points before you can do anything good with them.

jcveron

Established Member
i have the capital one venture card. 0% interest for the 1st year then 3% APR after that. rewards card. can spend it on travel, redeem for a bunch of different stuff, or get a check. i usually use it for christmas. like cobrabob said, i get about 500 dollars back in a check and that goes towards christmas gifts. easy

JPD5801

Established Member
I would like to find a CC that gives good rewards such as cash back or rewards at XYZ stores or rewards points that you can actually use without needing to gain 999999 points before you can do anything good with them.

You may want to check out Citi's "thank you" cards. The rewards are "bought" using points and run at about 1%. So, if you want a $100 gift card for a restaurant, it will cost you 1,000 points.

I have one, and I like the flexibility of the points system. I don't like doing business with Citi, but I have never carried a balance and I don't pay an annual fee, so they really aren't getting any of my money.

TDUB003

Established Member
I currently have 3 credit cards although I use one more as a debit card. I have a Costco AMEX, a Chase Rewards Visa, and a rewards card Visa through my credit union. I use the AMEX for all of my costco purchases and gas. I get 1% back on normal purchases and 3% back on gas. I use the Chase Rewards card for other purchases as it has a revolving rewards system in which you get more back for certain months of the year (right now it's 5% back on gas). The other Visa is more of a back up card but I use it for smaller purchases that I want to pay off right away as it is linked to my bank account and I can basically pay it off several days later if I choose, similar to a debit card but I get rewards as well.

It ultimately depends on who is going to give you the best deal and what will apply best to your needs. If you know how to use them to your advantage, credit cards are smart money. Yes, you can get in a lot of trouble with them but as long as you pay them off every month and are disciplined with your money why not get a month free loan as well as cash back that you wouldn't have received other wise?

Last edited:

Fuerza

Established Member
I have always just had debit cards in the 8 years ive had accounts. I have over time ran into times where my debit card has daily limits that my bank says are unremovable. This has led me to want a credit card that I could use on higher purchases, vaction rentals that type stuff. Then just pay it off monthly like the rest of my bills. What is a good card to look into for someone with middle of the road credit.

If you are getting a card that you know you will pay off each month look into an American Express. Keep in mind that it is a "charge card" not a tradition credit card. Some perks of Amex, rental car insurance, purchase protection for 90 days (drop your new iPhone in water, get a new on free). 1 year extended warranty on purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread