Creaking/Popping Rear Suspension w/H&R Race Springs

RED2003COBRA

Established Member
I recently started having a creaking/popping noise coming from the passenger rear side of the car when driving rough roads, hitting bumps, or even pulling in my driveway. Only suspension work I have done is H&R Race Springs that I installed several years ago. When I pulled the tire off, it looked like the spring was rubbing on the sheet metal. In fact, some of the paint is worn off the spring. I tried bending the metal away from the spring and spraying some white lithium grease where the spring touches the sheet metal and the noise is even worse now. I've seen threads regarding this issue with other guys, but they have aftermarket bushings, I don't. Could the springs shift enough in time and start rubbing on the sheet metal? I'm going to try to push the spring over this weekend. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

RED2003COBRA

Established Member
I'm looking at the top of the shocks inside the trunk and notice that the top retaining nuts are bottomed out, but their seems to be some play in the shocks. Maybe this is causing some of the noise. I looked up the how-to spring install threads and didn't see anyone mentioning tightening these nuts or installing some sort of spacer to the top of the shock. Any thoughts? I was going to see if I can buy a couple washers to slide under the rubber pieces.

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
I would check for iso's too. Some guys pull them out. They might be worn.

RED2003COBRA

Established Member
I do have the ISO's in, but I put the stock ones back in since they were compressed and allowed for a little more drop. I think I have the new ones I never used laying around somewhere. I might give that a try.

Lance

RED2003COBRA

Established Member
Pulled the back springs out, checked the Iso's, and reinstalled making sure everything fit where it should and wouldn't rub. Iso's looked great. Also added a spacer washer on the top of the shocks since it there was plenty of play where the shock attached to the car. This is because their is not enough thread to snug down the bolt on the top of the strut. Anyway their is no play now.

Took the car out for a test ride and nothing has changed. Still creaks going around corners, when the weight of the car shifts, and when hitting small bumps. Also notice a loud thump when I hit a larger bump. It's almost like the spare tire is flying around back there or something major is loose. When I reinstalled the springs I triple checked everything was installed and tightened correctly. What the heck is my car's problem?

RED2003COBRA

Established Member
Well the car has 29,000 miles on it, never sees the rain, and sits in the garage on anything but a nice day. I can't imagine the bushings being worn. I'm really guessing it's an issue with the 12mm vs 14mm IRS mounting bolts. They are ordered and on their way. I had to remove the spacers I added to the top of the shocks because it caused a huge racket. I'll post how the 14mm bolt install goes and if it cures the problem.

slp50

same squeak

I bought an 03 Cobra in May with H&R Springs and I have the same issue. I am just now getting around to investigating the problem. I am actually putting new wheels and tires on the car tomorrow so I'm going to put it up in the air to look around. Thanks for documenting this problem. I'm hoping the bolts you order will work!

RED2003COBRA

Established Member
I replaced the 12mm bolts with the 14mm bolts and also intalled the low profile bolts that Maximum Motorsports makes for the back IRS mounting point. The squeak/creak is still there. No change. I guess I'll have to look at new bushings. Would bad shocks case the noise? I have original shock with the lowering springs, but have never had a problem till this summer.

RED2003COBRA

Established Member
Replaced the rear shock mounting hardware yesterday and eliminated the clunking noise when I hit bumps. Basically, the shock tower bushings were compressed and had lots of play. My main problem of the creak is still there. No change really. I soaked the IRS bushings with WD-40 hoping that would help, but no, not really. I'm almost wondering if it's a bushing issue

SVTDice

Established Member
I have it too. Listen this is what you do and this is how I fixed it *Kind of* I sprayed some PB Blaster on my Caster Camber plates. I did this 2-3 times and it fixed it right up. If I hear any sign of it. I spray some more. But then again my Squeek was in the front. Not the rear.

Its no big deal. These cars are NOT known for the High end Quality Quiet Luxury ride like a Jaguar.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/suspension-modifications-211/583410-rear-end-popping.html

Also, the top retaining nut for the rear shock should be rotated four (4) times after you feel the resistance of friction between the retaining washer and the bushing. It should not be too tight. I usually hand spin the retaining washer while tightening the nut until I can't easily spin it. That's the "point of friction." However, I believe your issue is the one in the link above.

Last edited:

RED2003COBRA

Established Member
I pulled the car out of the garage since winter is finally over and decided to fix the problem. I installed new rear shocks and new rear spring isolators. The clunking and creak is gone. However, I have a constant little squeak going on. I looked at link above and suspect I also have the bad weld problem. I plan on looking into it tonight.

SilverCobra7

Philippians 4:13
Established Member
I got the same thing going on my Cobra... Small creak on the rear passenger side. Goes away if someone sits on the back seat! Not as annoying, but would like to fix the problem.

Last edited:

Torch04RedSnake

Established Member
Have the same issue.. it started after i did my bushings. Only does it when passenger rear is under stress so i assumed it was a normal clunk,sound,thump etc.. of a cobra. Its not a Cadillac so I just enjoy it for what it is.

RED2003COBRA

Established Member
Free at last, Free at last!!!!! No more squeeks or thumps. I'm so happy. The link posted a couple above worked. It was the sheet metal in the trunk rubbing that was causing the squeek. I bent it so it's not rubbing and ......SILENCE!!!!! The new shocks and spring isolators cured the clunk. Now I can finally enjoy my cobra.

SilverCobra7

Philippians 4:13
Established Member
Free at last, Free at last!!!!! No more squeeks or thumps. I'm so happy. The link posted a couple above worked. It was the sheet metal in the trunk rubbing that was causing the squeek. I bent it so it's not rubbing and ......SILENCE!!!!! The new shocks and spring isolators cured the clunk. Now I can finally enjoy my cobra.

Can you please post a pic of the sheet metal that was causing the squeak! Gonna look into mine.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
Can you please post a pic of the sheet metal that was causing the squeak! Gonna look into mine.

Everything you need is in that link, post 18.

Users who are viewing this thread