Crazy car crash demonstration. 50s era vs modern technology.

deannyc

Str8
Established Member
[ame="http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=8f9_1253308261"]LiveLeak.com - Head on collision test between 1959 Chevy and 2009 Chevy.[/ame]

Serious frame strength in the modern cars opposed to their elders..
New Malibu is a slick looking ride inside/out imo.. Would make for a great DD.

Last edited:

Amazongt

AKA maxstang AKA max97v6
Established Member
I know that crash techology is 100X better now but I did not expect the new car that is pretty much a combination of 1/2 lunchbox and 1/2 tin can to flat out crumple something that is made out of metal that is 3X thicker.:eek:

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
I know that crash techology is 100X better now but I did not expect the new car that is pretty much a combination of 1/2 lunchbox and 1/2 tin can to flat out crumple something that is made out of metal that is 3X thicker.:eek:

EXACTLY what I was thinking. Technology ftw! Great post!

tedness

Bananarama
Established Member

true. but then again keep in mind of how heavy some of the new cars are with all their safety equipment, despite being half plastic half tin.

deannyc

Str8
Established Member
honestly, I think its all created in the frame construction.. Materials used, welding/joining techniques are where the strength is created... The mass/composition does not ensure strength by any means...

Then again im no engineer.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
its all in how the unibody is designed to absorb/deflect energy in a crash into and around certain areas.

notice how the passenger cabin of the Malibu was mostly un-affected? its all in the physics and engineering behind the sheet metal that make it safe, not the thickness of the metal itself. Certain areas of the unibody are designed to sacrafice and give during an impact thus absorbing energy, while others are designed to deflect and divert energy.

Hell look at the crash testing of the Smart ForTwo or whatever, that little pissant was very good during a collision, it was able to absorb and deflect much better than another car of almost equal size.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Saw this in another thread last week. Amazing, isn't it? I honestly didn't expect this, at least not to the extent that the '59 folded like an accordion. Safety has come a long way!

langod

Cobra: The Anti-hybrid
Established Member
its all in how the unibody is designed to absorb/deflect energy in a crash into and around certain areas.

notice how the passenger cabin of the Malibu was mostly un-affected? its all in the physics and engineering behind the sheet metal that make it safe, not the thickness of the metal itself. Certain areas of the unibody are designed to sacrafice and give during an impact thus absorbing energy, while others are designed to deflect and divert energy.

Hell look at the crash testing of the Smart ForTwo or whatever, that little pissant was very good during a collision, it was able to absorb and deflect much better than another car of almost equal size.

I saw a crash video somewhere of a Smartfor2 vs an Explorer -- and yes, the Smart was totally wrecked -- EXCEPT for the passenger cabin. That car is basically a safety cage on wheels. Actually pretty amazing construction.

This video of the Malibu vs Belair is eye-opening. I wouldn't have expected the BelAir to be so totally deformed. However, I noticed A LOT of debris coming out of the Belair that looked like rust. I figure they didn't sacrifice a pristine one, more likely a junker with a nice coat of paint -- I wonder if the frame and structure was actually sound?

Users who are viewing this thread