Crazy Black Paint

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
The OEM's are playing around with blacker black concepts.

BY MARK WILSON3 MINUTE READ
It’s hard to describe Vantablack, the world’s darkest black pigment, without seeing it for yourself.

First developed for use in light-sensitive aerospace components (and infamously licensed for artistic use solely by sculptor Anish Kapoor), the pigment uses tiny carbon nanotubes to absorb up to 99.965% of light striking its surface. At Google’s top secret materials lab, I recently gazed upon a sample of Vantablack in real life for the first time. It almost broke my brain. It has no reflection, no contours. It’s like part of the world has been Photoshopped away. Stare at it long enough, and it feels like your soul is being sucked out of your eyeballs.

It’s a frightening idea, to imagine seeing a Vantablack car on the road. BMW used a more reflective version of the paint, which bounces back a more generous 1% of visible light, for this application. Yet even with a slightly reflective surface, a Vatablack car in your rearview mirror would probably look something like a Looney Tunes tunnel painted on in the middle of the street. Is that an object or a void?

3-bmw-vantablack_.jpg
[Photo: BMW]
Thats one way to distract from their recent design "updates", interesting stuff.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Why not just Rhino Line it then stick on some tuck tape.

Looks absolutely awful.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Why not just Rhino Line it then stick on some tuck tape.

Looks absolutely awful.

New things come from people playing around. If you could get a factory black with clear that had that devouring light character, would be a pretty damn popular choice I bet. F-150 blackout would sell a bunch.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
New things come from people playing around. If you could get a factory black with clear that had that devouring light character, would be a pretty damn popular choice I bet. F-150 blackout would sell a bunch.

I never thought primer gray would be popular... In my garage is a primer grey BMW X3. Go figure.

Users who are viewing this thread