Crate engine

x182dan

Established Member
So I found out the engine in my 03 is supposed to be a ford crate engine. Is there anyway to identify this? Any markings on the engine?

Saleen498

Established Member
Head casting number. 03 stock would end in AB or AC if recall. If it's a 03 with head castings ending in D(anything) then the head at least was replaced pretty much confirming

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Head casting number. 03 stock would end in AB or AC if recall. If it's a 03 with head castings ending in D(anything) then the head at least was replaced pretty much confirming

that's only the case with very early builds. many 2nd and 3rd run terminators came with the -da and -db castings. comprensive details from joe goffin here:

01yellercobra

Established Member
It's still worth checking the heads. Mine has a replacement engine and currently has DC heads.

Sajin

Established Member
My low mileage 10th anniversary coupe (4800 miles currently) has never had it’s engine replaced, and it has DB heads on it. My engine build date is 6/17/03 which matches perfectly to what joe goffin states in the castings article here… Castings

So going off head castings alone means nothing.

HVACdude

Established Member
There should be a small plate saying it’s a reman engine with a ford logo and numbers on the block. All the warranty engines got them. Well most of them through ford did at least. There were rumblings that the majority of the Reman engines have mahle pistons because zollner folded up but I’ve never confirmed that.

vr4

Established Member
If it's a reman there will be a silver plate on the block. If it was replaced while the car was still in production it would have an engine that was "pulled off the line". It comes to the dealer fully dressed. All accessories, wiring, belts, etc. in that case it wouldn't have the plate but it would have a couple date stickers on it. My 06/02 build has an engine built 6/18/03.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240406-170226.png
    Screenshot_20240406-170226.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 47

x182dan

Established Member
If it's a reman there will be a silver plate on the block. If it was replaced while the car was still in production it would have an engine that was "pulled off the line". It comes to the dealer fully dressed. All accessories, wiring, belts, etc. in that case it wouldn't have the plate but it would have a couple date stickers on it. My 06/02 build has an engine built 6/18/03.
Thanks for the info

Last edited:

PC03GT

Established Member
I have one of these engines in my car, it's an early 2003. It was replaced in 07' under warranty, due to a head tick. I took a picture of the head and it has DC heads on it.
Photo_2024-04-09 12_56_37_261.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread