Cracked my cobra bumper cover

slowgreycobra

Established Member
Cracked my cobra bumper cover (Update)

I'm not happy. I bought a brand new trailer, loaded one car with no problems. I go to put my stock height cobra on and as I am slowly going up the ramps I heard a sound like I hit plastic. I stop, get out and see that I am scraping the ramp. So I back off and it is too late, cracked the bumper cover below the fog light. It's about a two inch crack. The good thing is I can repair it, and I needed it repainted anyway due to some of the paint separating from the plastic.

Words of wisdom, if you think you might scrape, remove the 4 nuts, two plastic screws, and two side screws. Its an easy 15 minutes that can save your bumper cover. After I removed the cover the car went on with no problems.

Last edited:

f2hatch

Established Member
I always remove the bumper when loading mine. If you ever see videos of my car on the dyno getting tuned the bumper is never on because it is sitting nice and safe in the garage at home.

slowgreycobra

Established Member
Well, I did a survey of the damage and it looks like I will be taking it to a body shop for work. I did a little more damage to the car than I at first thought. The bumper cover has more damage than just a crack. I also cracked the grille area where the top of the bumper attaches. I am not happy at all today. I am mostly pissed at myself for not thinking about removing the bumper sooner. I am definitely modifying the ramps on the trailer to make them longer for the future. The other car has no problems loading and unloading fortunately.

This will push back the install of my Whipple 2.9 for a few more weeks. I've had this thing sitting here for over a month and haven't been able to install it.

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
500 bills painted? what dealer you getting that deal from? genuine ford part too? mine was 490 at employee cost, without paint

20SVT03

Wishin for that KB!
Established Member
well i havent had the problems of actually cracking my bumper but im pretty sure that the heat exchanger brackets are done. ive been meaning to make some ramps but trying to remove the car from the trailer on saturday sealed the deal for me to make a move. i was curious if anyone had some pics or measurements of what they did?

nooner

Established Member
I've had to flatbed my car 4 times and it sits VERY low with the Roush bodywork on it and never had any problems scraping. The flatbed drivers were very careful and used several 2x6s strategically placed to avoid damage without removing anything. I would think this same method should work for loading on a trailer. Going up rearend first is easiest.

click for full size pic

slowgreycobra

Established Member
The insurance adjuster came over yesterday and by today I already had an insurance pay out. Talk about fast. They also are paying for a repaint of my hood since I am one of the unlucky ones with some minor delamination of the paint and have some damage from nasty windy weather where I used to live.

Now I am wondering if I should buy the oem bumper and grille myself and then have whichever shop I choose install and paint and fix whatever else is wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread