Coyote vs. built 2v

superstang01

Established Member
Just wondering what would be the best way to go. Money is not really an option because I have the time to save the funds for whatever I decide.

My goal is to make my 01 GT a reliable 500hp car that runs 91 octane gas and gets around 25-30mpg

So what would you do? built 2v with a supercharger? or a coyote swap?

superstang01

Established Member
Looks like you'll be doing a coyote swap then. You'll never get that gas mileage out of a 2v haha

I guess im not really sure if 30mpg is even possible with a coyote swap? I just used it as an example because I read somewhere about a coyote swap getting 28-30mpg. Not sure how accurate that is though

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
You will never get that mpg out of a 2V, especially one making 500hp. A coyote swap with cobra jet intake, SCJ monoblade TB, longtubes, comp cams Stg 3, tune, will hit make 485hp-520hp and will most likely still knock down 24mpg or get pretty close to that mileage.

281muscle

Established Member
Holy crap I didn't realize how great on fuel mileage the coyotes are. OT: If it were up to me, I'd just build up the 2v. Just cause I wouldn't want to go through the hassle of the coyote swap. Just my 2cents.

rktsci25

Established Member
My goal is to make my 01 GT a reliable 500hp car that runs 91 octane gas and gets around 25-30mpg
QUOTE]

Bahahaha. Comical. Well before I continue laughing.. what is your final trans and rear gear ratios that you are looking at? and what power adder will you be putting on there? Turbos will be hell on earth, unless you have tons of time and access to some serious fabrication/machining equipment...

I'm asking because I have a LC coyote swapped into my 01. Get just under 400 at the wheel, have a double overdrive 6th gear (.50) and 3.73's and I get ~27 on the highway if I stay around 75.

Voltwings

Established Member
I love the 2v Body style, but just couldn't bring myself to pick one up as a project car. By the time the coyote swap is said and done I was looking at close to $20k (im factoring in a transmission that can hold the power, clutch, rims, tires... EVERYTHING to get it up and rolling effectively) and that's still a stock coyote motor... Building the 2v almost makes more sense, especially if you're going to boost it, just have a motor than can hold whatever you can throw at it and you're pretty much set.

BTW, my cobrajet coyote with 3.31 gears makes about 440 whp (stock headers) and gets about 25 mpg hwy.

Mach828

Established Member
I would probably just sell your 2v and get an auto 2011-2012 coyote. They can be had for low 20k. I'd keep everything else stock and just turbo it. I would put it at a really reliable and safe ~550hp.

superstang01

Established Member
QUOTE]

Bahahaha. Comical. Well before I continue laughing.. what is your final trans and rear gear ratios that you are looking at? and what power adder will you be putting on there? Turbos will be hell on earth, unless you have tons of time and access to some serious fabrication/machining equipment...

I'm asking because I have a LC coyote swapped into my 01. Get just under 400 at the wheel, have a double overdrive 6th gear (.50) and 3.73's and I get ~27 on the highway if I stay around 75.

Well if I do it, I won't be doing it myself because I don't have the tools or a shop. Also, if I do it I will be doing it with no expense spared. So I will use a built 6 speed of some sort. I will probably run it NA for a while and might eventually use some sort of boost. But from what I'm seeing, these motors seem to make enough power NA to keep me satisfied. It is not going to be an all out race car, just something I can beat on every now and then and hopefully not have to worry about something breaking.

Like I said in a previous post, I wasn't sure if 30mpg was realistic. I just read about a swap getting 30mpg. Not sure how true it was though

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
30 is realistic on the highway.

I drove from Denver to Gillette, wy with the cruise control set at 75-80 and AC on. I gave my uncle, one of his pit men and 2 of my cousins rides (maybe saw 7,000 rpm 20 times on that tank) and hand calculated 28.63mpg right after. 3.31 gear, stock car except mufflers.

Who needs a civic lol.

rktsci25

Established Member
Well if I do it, I won't be doing it myself because I don't have the tools or a shop. Also, if I do it I will be doing it with no expense spared. So I will use a built 6 speed of some sort. I will probably run it NA for a while and might eventually use some sort of boost. But from what I'm seeing, these motors seem to make enough power NA to keep me satisfied. It is not going to be an all out race car, just something I can beat on every now and then and hopefully not have to worry about something breaking.

Like I said in a previous post, I wasn't sure if 30mpg was realistic. I just read about a swap getting 30mpg. Not sure how true it was though

It is definitely enough power to keep myself satisfied for awhile. Granted now I'm starting a TVS build for it, but that came more from the generosity of uncle sam, than lack of amusement anymore. My biggest complaint about them is the options for power steering, a/c, and alternator. I have not been a fan of any of the ones I have seen thus far, nor the setup I am using at the moment. Reverse mounted alternator=takes an hour and a jack to change a belt.

30 is realistic on the highway.

I drove from Denver to Gillette, wy with the cruise control set at 75-80 and AC on. I gave my uncle, one of his pit men and 2 of my cousins rides (maybe saw 7,000 rpm 20 times on that tank) and hand calculated 28.63mpg right after. 3.31 gear, stock car except mufflers.

Who needs a civic lol.

While your air is a bit better than mine, I'm also going to take a shot and say there is a difference in tires here, which could account for a little bit.

And we all need a civic everyonce and a while for a comical laugh. Although if the OP opts to do the coyote swap... 370z's, G37's, and 3 series' will be a new source of laughs. lol.

superstang01

Established Member
It is definitely enough power to keep myself satisfied for awhile. Granted now I'm starting a TVS build for it, but that came more from the generosity of uncle sam, than lack of amusement anymore. My biggest complaint about them is the options for power steering, a/c, and alternator. I have not been a fan of any of the ones I have seen thus far, nor the setup I am using at the moment. Reverse mounted alternator=takes an hour and a jack to change a belt.

While your air is a bit better than mine, I'm also going to take a shot and say there is a difference in tires here, which could account for a little bit.

And we all need a civic everyonce and a while for a comical laugh. Although if the OP opts to do the coyote swap... 370z's, G37's, and 3 series' will be a new source of laughs. lol.

The reverse alternator is a pain in the bag. My tork tech kit is like that

I am definetly going to do some more research. I really like the thought of making 450-500hp NA. I've heard there is a 5.8 stroker kit out now as well??

Last edited:

rktsci25

Established Member
The 450-500 would really only be possible with the CJ intake and exhaust, etc. I haven't heard anything about a 5.8L stroker kit, but I do like the 302 Stroker with a whipple that Eaglesnick did on here. Which could be a different idea that is far simpler than doing a coyote swap.

toby1234

Established Member
There is a 5.8 stroker short block for sale, cant remember who sells it. I think $10-15k for just the short block. Not worth it imo.

Voltwings

Established Member

Gravik

Established Member
If you only want 500hp, then Coyote. If you want more than 500hp, then Coyote with Boss 302 rods and pistons.

NC03GT

Established Member
make sure to do a LOT of research man!!!! have you read up on how expensive it is to adapt the coyote AC to our cars... my friend quickly ditched the idea and did a full cobra engine swap in his Mach 1 instead.

rktsci25

Established Member
You mean the Air Conditioning system specifically? That wasn't bad at all. Just have to know that the stock A/C lines won't clear the engine, making those longer isn't bad, and you need the coyote compressor and both of those a/c lines that you can cut and weld splice to the 99-04 lines, and voila!

make sure to do a LOT of research man!!!! have you read up on how expensive it is to adapt the coyote AC to our cars... my friend quickly ditched the idea and did a full cobra engine swap in his Mach 1 instead.

mr. b_98GT

Established Member
Isn't there a kit by Power by the Hour that let's you use '96-'10 accessories on Coyote's now? Seems like it would be easier to use your current accessories with this than go with '11-'14 accessories.

I'm going back and forth with this as well. When the time comes, I'm going to do a complete price breakdown for what I want to do if I go with a 2V, and then do the same thing for a Coyote swap. I like the idea of staying 2V and using the original block in my car to build it up to 400-500 reliable horses. The 2V seems like it would be cheaper overall, but if I like the price to do the Coyote swap, then I might consider the headache of the Coyote just for the increase in gas mileage and the coolness factor; Coyote engines look sweet in the '11-'14's, but they look down right sexy as hell in older Mustangs.

Users who are viewing this thread