Cox Automotive's Market Insights & Outlook 2022

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I read through their 30+ page report this morning. It's interesting stuff, nothing shocking or crazy alarming. I tried to post the pdf but it was too large, not sure how to shrink a pdf file?

Interesting exerts:
  1. "We believe the second quarter could produce the best used-vehicle sales for the year." - pg 3
  2. "Of all new vehicles sold in April 2020, a record 21% got zero-percent financing. Typically, zero-percent financing accounts for less than 5% of new-vehicle transactions."pg 6
  3. "In 2021....the average listing price- the asking price- hit a record, approaching $46,000. The average transaction price- the price paid- was even higher at more than $47,000." pg 8
  4. "Automakers...longer-term are re-thinking old ways. Specifically, they are looking at how they can keep prices and thus profit margins high by maintaining lower inventory." pg 8
  5. "The average used-vehicle listing price started 2021 at $22,083 and ended at close to $28,193, nearly a 28% increase." pg 16
  6. "Subprime lending grows but loses share. A key measure of credit access in auto lending is the number of loans made to subprime borrowers. Auto loan originations increased in 2021 in all credit tiers, unlike the performance in 2020 when the highest credit tiers drove the growth. Subprime auto loan originations in 2021 increased by 12.1%, still less than any of the growth in the other credit tiers and as a result, the subprime share of total originations fell to an 18-year low of 16.8%. pg 18
  7. "Keeping a vehicle for transportation is so vital to borrowers that, even at the worst stage of the Great Recession, the default rates on auto loans remained close to 4%. In comparison, defaults rose to nearly 6% for mortgages, and over 9% for credit cards. The default rate on all auto loans in 2021 was 2.0%, down fro 2.2% in 2020 and 2.9% in 2019." pg 19
  8. "The average new loan payment in 2021 was $612, a 7% increase over 2020. The average used loan payment in 2021 was $480, a 15% increase over 2020." pg 21
  9. "Auto loan defaults, repossessions fell to at least a 16-year low." pg 25
  10. "Given the uncertainties mentioned earlier [supply chain, depressed factory volumes, decrease in new vehicle availability, and a significant decrease in off-lease units], we expect any future impacts to raise risk to the downside, though not to levels that would be considered a major decline or price correction." pg 29

Those were the biggest hitting statements I read. Would be happy to email over the full pdf if anyone is interested; or if someone knows how to resize a pdf file.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Send it to me and I can see what I can do to resize it.

I'll PM you my email(may have to send it via dropbox or google drive if over 20mb)

BlueSnake01

Established Member
I see this being the death of leased cars in general. I noticed used cars have been dropping slightly around me.

Crazy info no doubt. Interesting part, repossessions dropping. I would've thought that would be higher now vs previous years.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I see this being the death of leased cars in general. I noticed used cars have been dropping slightly around me.

Crazy info no doubt. Interesting part, repossessions dropping. I would've thought that would be higher now vs previous years.

I don't think so.

The leases are strong right now.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Here's the report. Reduced it to 1.8mb so hopefully there's no issues lol

Attachments

• CAI CAMIO Market Insights 2022.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 60

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thats surprising, considering there are next to none on incentives and well not much cash back deals either.

The residuals are high, the rates aren't bad. My wife's new 2022 Expedition should be here fairly soon. We're doing a 36 month lease for 45k miles and it has a residual of 69% of original MSRP.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
The residuals are high, the rates aren't bad. My wife's new 2022 Expedition should be here fairly soon. We're doing a 36 month lease for 45k miles and it has a residual of 69% of original MSRP.
That is an amazing residual for a Ford haha Must be state dependent then, going by Edmunds, the APR is at high 2's with a 58/60 residual on 36/12 around me. *Sighs*

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That is an amazing residual for a Ford haha Must be state dependent then, going by Edmunds, the APR is at high 2's with a 58/60 residual on 36/12 around me. *Sighs*

Varies by zip and also date. Ours is price protected from February or so.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I just saw that cox is forecasting 2022 y/y wholesale prices to be off by -17%. Upper end of used car market is about to get nuked.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I just saw that cox is forecasting 2022 y/y wholesale prices to be off by -17%. Upper end of used car market is about to get nuked.

Upper end slowed down about 30 days ago. $50k+

September is setting a record for highest new transaction prices on new vehicles.

Being 15-18mil vehicles short the last 3 years acts as an insulator for the automtive market. Dealers are still taking 4-5x's the number of orders compared to what the manufacturers can produce.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Upper end slowed down about 30 days ago. $50k+

September is setting a record for highest new transaction prices on new vehicles.

Being 15-18mil vehicles short the last 3 years acts as an insulator for the automtive market. Dealers are still taking 4-5x's the number of orders compared to what the manufacturers can produce.

Shit is about to revert. It is econ 101.

4.webp

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Shit is about to revert. It is econ 101.

4.webp

That doesn't take into account that people need to buy vehicles, companies need to buy trucks/vans, whether they want to or not.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
That doesn't take into account that people need to buy vehicles, companies need to buy trucks/vans, whether they want to or not.

The bottom is about to fall out of the economy. People don't buy cars when they don't have a job. Companies do not add to their fleets when they are going bankrupt. Orders are cancelable.

People need shelter but the housing market is collapsing in real time. You can already see the collapse in autos at the aggregate level.

1664457643647.png

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The bottom is about to fall out of the economy. People don't buy cars when they don't have a job. Companies do not add to their fleets when they are going bankrupt. Orders are cancelable.

People need shelter but the housing market is collapsing in real time. You can already see the collapse in autos at the aggregate level.

View attachment 1763115

I agree with a lot of what you're saying... the car market is slowing because of lack of available vehicles to sell.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

We are already seeing the effects of the pendulum swing as it relates to supply/demand.

Ive said it 100 times in the last year, "supply chain issues" won't matter if you don't have any consumer spending because no one is working lol.

Shit is about to get real and the auto industry WILL NOT be immune. That's a fact.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

View attachment 1763115

Interesting, we have an order into Volvo (HD trucks) for about 500 trucks right now as I type this -- delivery expected q1 of 2024.

Im on a call next week with Legal to ensure we have an out of that deal if (when) the economy crashes.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
It will take a major crash to get used car sales impacted. The lack of new being sold the last 3 years is really impacting things. Although, used car interest rates are definitely a player.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
It will take a major crash to get used car sales impacted. The lack of new being sold the last 3 years is really impacting things. Although, used car interest rates are definitely a player.

The market cracked in July. It is already in free fall.

Users who are viewing this thread