Couple questions about the cobra from a new owner....

Arboc13

Established Member
1. My cobra randomly shuts off while braking in neutral, usually when I am approaching a red light, the engine just shuts off. It happened yesterday twice in a row. I did a little search and noticed Ford has a TSB about this. I guess I need to have the computer reflashed? or ??? FYI my cobra is an 03 stock except for K&N FIPK and a Magna flow cat back.

1a. If I do need a reflash will ford do it at no charge? Would a handheld tuner fix this?

2. Where can I find good advice on cleaning and caring for the cloth top? When I wash the cobra I notice the water doesn't bead off the cloth it absorbs.

3. A friend gave me his old mustang key fob (looks exactly like the one I have, 4 buttons;lock, unlock, trunk, panic) can I program it to work on my mustang?

CallMeWonder

Established Member
for the first question: I had the same issue in my cobra when i got it.

I cleaned the sensor marked by the red arrows below and it never happened again. (unscrew and clean inside and around.
cobra-eaton-supercharger-swap-intall_clip_image002_0000.jpg

good luck and report back with results for future people.

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Welcome! Can't answer number 1 off experience since mine hasn't done that. However, for number 2 I use Raggtop cleaner and sealer and love it. I actually bought it on eBay. Previous owner of my car used it too.

For number 3 I believe the owners manual has a procedure on how to program a ford remote. I did it on my old explorer but not totally sure on the actual steps. Check there first and if there isn't I'm sure someone else will chime in.

Oh yeah, pics of Cobra are necessary around these parts! Post them up!

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Cycle your ignition key from off to run eight times within 30 seconds your locks will lock unlock if you do it right press any button on the key fob you got and it will program.

In for pics too congrats.

cj428mach

Established Member
I believe Ford will reflash it for free. If not then yes if you get a new tune for mods the tuner should take care of the stalling while braking.

Arboc13

Established Member
for the first question: I had the same issue in my cobra when i got it.

I cleaned the sensor marked by the red arrows below and it never happened again. (unscrew and clean inside and around.
View attachment 16848

good luck and report back with results for future people.

What did you clean the senor with?

Thank you all for the help/ advice... the stalling issue is becoming more frequent so I would like to get this solved.

Also could the stalling issue be caused by a weak battery? I noticed last night (Head lights on, dome light on) when I activated the turn signal the dome light would dim each time the turn signal blinked...

20140518_183416_zps9a136819.jpg

CallMeWonder

Established Member
What did you clean the senor with?

Thank you all for the help/ advice... the stalling issue is becoming more frequent so I would like to get this solved.

Also could the stalling issue be caused by a weak battery? I noticed last night (Head lights on, dome light on) when I activated the turn signal the dome light would dim each time the turn signal blinked...

20140518_183416_zps9a136819.jpg

I just used a microfiber on it and put my finger down there(lol) and cleaned around.

Arboc13

Established Member
Update for anyone else with the stalling issue: I cleaned the sensor in the photo above, simply unbolted it and used clean and dry Q-tips and re-installed onto the car... no stalling issues since.

Users who are viewing this thread